GT500... SS / KR / 40th... whatever... why?

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
Why would you even consider these packages/cars?

They are all super over priced, simply because of name reference.

I guess I'm taking crazy pills or something.. but to me, the bang for your buck goes waaay out the window when considering the KR, SS, or 40th edition.

When I see bids of 130-180K for a gt500kr..that's nuts!! That puts you well into supercar territory, and the car performance is no where near that.

SS package..come on... really?? 725 hp for an additional 36K??? sounds like a hennessey deal if you ask me.

40th..samething.

So my real question is why? Why spend the over amount for a name? Why not pay a local shop or hell your local dealer to install ford racing parts on your gt500? Because to me, owning a mustang is about enjoyment and pleasure, and always the best bang for your buck. To me, this puts the mustang way out there and loses it's lust of appeal. Who would have guessed we would be at a point, where mustangs come brand new over 100k!! :nonono:

chuckstang

Established Member
wow
hello at least 6 months ago

I think most here agree but hey if you have money to blow, why not, and a name is important to some, hence why the ADMs that have gone on for well over a year

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
cause some people have that kind of money and CAN :thumbsup:
wish I were one of them :)

So basically, if you have more money than sense, the gt500 options are right up your alley. :banana::pepper:

Otherwise, people that actually care about money, will most likely not be buying these set ups.

FASN8N

Established Member
Just wait a couple years and buy any one of the above mentioned cars for @$30k or so and laugh at the poor chump who paid an insane price for his "collector" car.

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
Low build numbers, Shelby's name, and factory high horsepower will be highly sought after down the road by collectors. Esp, if they are stock with low miles. Just look at used Ford GT's, they are still at or above MSRP. Also, +1 on "if you got the money" It's your money, you earned it, spend it on what you like. It sure as hell beats giving 1/2 to an ex-spouse. :fm: IMO.

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
Forget the money, I wanted a GT 500 because it was a GT 500. I would like to have an original but the newer model is my generations GT 500 so it was the one for me. Again the price was much greater for a 60's version but I'm 33 and this is the new muscle car era. I would have liked to have been around in the 60's but this is my chance to be a part of the rebirth. The next performance car I buy will be the Ford GT.

Last edited:

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
I never understand that ^^^^ statement. :shrug:

Unless you are a trust fund baby etc... if you have earned it, you gotta have a bit of sense? Hardwork, smart investments, so on and so forth.

not hard to understand really. I see people with money make stupid mistakes all the time. :shrug:

I want a GT500...don't get me wrong. But the other versions, to me, is a rediculous attempt at raping consumers on the idea that "Shelby" is better. And if it's a newer better model and limited it should be worth ungodly amount more. Realistically, the kr has what..maybe 15,000 dollars worth of ford racing performance parts on it. So what justifies the "cost" of making the kr and pricing it at 80k...plus the stupid mark ups?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Isn't anything "Shelby" over priced? Hummmm........Let's examine this further.

Why is "Shelby" over priced? or maybe not over priced, but very realistically on the high end of "Mustang" related options, parts, features, packages, etc.? The reason is because of the relationship with Ford from the beginning of the Mustang. Since 1964.5 Shelby had his eyes on the Mustang and in 1965 things became reality. I don't even know if Hennessey was around back then, nor Saleen, nor Steeda. Jack Roush was around, but in the early years he was not building the Mustang reputation, nor were any of the others. So that leads us back to Shelby. Shelby brought the Mustang to a point in the performance world well beyond what Ford did at that time.<<<<<These facts put Shelby in a whole different world from other "Mustang performance builders". He (Shelby) started it all. As it relates to Mustangs, Shelby has paid his dues, people respect the name, the product is proven and people are willing to pay for it.

The name reference, "Shelby" on a Mustang, if it is a real Shelby, it has proven history to be valuable, if it is not a real Shelby, or something cobbled together by the current or previous owner, it just doesn't bring that same big $$$.

I agree that the KR's are way over priced right now, but if I remember correctly, when the GT500 first came out, and even well after the fact, they were commanding large $$$ over MSRP, not like the KR, but "supposedly" the KR is limited to 1000 build.<<<Huge difference when comparing the GT500 build. But yes, a Ford GT is in that $$$ range. I'm sure that any KR buyer could most likely pull the trigger on a Ford GT instead, and I'm sure if money was the only issue, a Ford GT would be in their garage and not a Mustang. But I would guess that the KR buyer wants a KR Mustang, not a Ford GT. Sound logical?

The SS............I have priced all of the parts that Shelby sells seperate for the SS, they add up to just over $20K if you include a quality paint job on the SS hood, the 20" performance tires to go on the 20" wheels, and stripe kit. Shelby will do it all for $28K including labor, with a warranty.<<<This is for the 600 h.p. option SS. The 725h.p. specific items are not shown on the SS parts list, so I would guess add an additional $3K+?, so now we are solidly in the mid-$20K's for parts only, no labor on the 725. The base 725h.p. SS package is not $36K, it is just under $32K. The labor looks much more realistic when the numbers are laid out. Is it cheap? no, is anything with Shelby's name on it cheap, no. But a Hennessey Mustang just doesn't have the same sound as a Shelby Mustang. It would be like Callaway offering a 750 horse Mustang, it's just not the same.

As with the collector cars from the 60's, the cars that were built by a "known" builder, Yenko, Shelby, Baldwin etc., they are the valuable cars. The ones that were modified by Joe lunchbox, well..................

I have no reason to think that history will not repeat itself when it comes to the future performance car enthusiast, if fuel is available.

R

Last edited:

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
Isn't anything "Shelby" over priced? Hummmm........Let's examine this further.

Why is "Shelby" over priced? or maybe not over priced, but very realistically on the high end of "Mustang" related options, parts, features, packages, etc.? The reason is because of the relationship with Ford from the beginning of the Mustang. Since 1964.5 Shelby had his eyes on the Mustang and in 1965 things became reality. I don't even know if Hennessey was around back then, nor Saleen, nor Steeda. Jack Roush was around, but in the early years he was not building the Mustang reputation, nor were any of the others. So that leads us back to Shelby. Shelby brought the Mustang to a point in the performance world well beyond what Ford did at that time.<<<<<These facts put Shelby in a whole different world from other "Mustang performance builders". He (Shelby) started it all. As it relates to Mustangs, Shelby has paid his dues, people respect the name, the product is proven and people are willing to pay for it.

The name reference, "Shelby" on a Mustang, if it is a real Shelby, it has proven history to be valuable, if it is not a real Shelby, or something cobbled together by the current or previous owner, it just doesn't bring that same big $$$.

I agree that the KR's are way over priced right now, but if I remember correctly, when the GT500 first came out, and even well after the fact, they were commanding large $$$ over MSRP, not like the KR, but "supposedly" the KR is limited to 1000 build.<<<Huge difference when comparing the GT500 build. But yes, a Ford GT is in that $$$ range. I'm sure that any KR buyer could most likely pull the trigger on a Ford GT instead, and I'm sure if money was the only issue, a Ford GT would be in their garage and not a Mustang. But I would guess that the KR buyer wants a KR Mustang, not a Ford GT. Sound logical?

The SS............I have priced all of the parts that Shelby sells seperate for the SS, they add up to just over $20K if you include a a quality paint job on the SS hood, the 20" performance tires to go on the 20" wheels, and stripe kit. Shelby will do it all for $28K including labor, with a warranty.<<<This is for the 600 h.p. option SS. The 725h.p. specific items are not shown on the SS parts list, so I would guess add an additional $3K+?, so now we are solidly in the mid-$20K's for parts only, no labor on the 725. The base 725h.p. SS package is not $36K, it is just under $32K. The labor looks much more realistic when the numbers are laid out. Is it cheap? no, is anything with Shelby's name on it cheap, no. But a Hennessey Mustang just doesn't have the same sound as a Shelby Mustang. It would be like Callaway offering a 750 horse Mustang, it's just not the same.

As with the collector cars from the 60's, the cars that were built by a "known" builder, Yenko, Shelby, Baldwin etc. are the valuable cars. The ones that were modified by Joe lunchbox, well..................

I have no reason to think that history will not repeat itself when it comes to the future performance car enthusiast, if fuel is available.

R

I see the points and they are valid. Very nice response. :thumbsup:

Being a younger generation that I am, I see the shelby name and see a name. I never witnessed the performance and glories tied into the shelby name from the 60's. As a younger generation, all I see is that Shelby has sold his name brand to Ford. In the since that the gt500's come off a FORD assymbly line as other mustangs and never sees the floor of a shelby garage. To me, this is just like slapping different name on a regular svt. And shelby is now offering after market parts and packages just like any other performance shop in the nation. Like you said, they haven't done this in YEARS. I don't see shelby performance mustangs now making a name for themselves. Proving their excellence(prestige) with the modern mustang, like Saleen and Roush have.

ff500

Established Member
There's to many of them now, The GT500 will be built for as long as they can sell them, they already increased production #'s on the KR. SAI opened two new facalities, Tasca and another I think in Texas to help build there 40th's and SS's, I don't think they'll close those when this run is done, who knows what they'll build next, but I do hope they hold there value, If there was one mod I would suggest getting, its the signed dashed plaque, Shelby's 85 now, he may not be around to much longer.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I see the points and they are valid. Very nice response. :thumbsup:

Being a younger generation that I am, I see the shelby name and see a name. I never witnessed the performance and glories tied into the shelby name from the 60's. As a younger generation, all I see is that Shelby has sold his name brand to Ford. In the since that the gt500's come off a FORD assymbly line as other mustangs and never sees the floor of a shelby garage. To me, this is just like slapping different name on a regular svt. And shelby is now offering after market parts and packages just like any other performance shop in the nation. Like you said, they haven't done this in YEARS. I don't see shelby performance mustangs now making a name for themselves. Proving their excellence(prestige) with the modern mustang, like Saleen and Roush have.

But...............the first GT350's and GT500's 65-67 were Mustang GT's that left Ford, went to Shelbys facility for Shelbyizing and then to the dealers. They were not Ford assy. line cars as were the 68-70 models. This has not affected any $$$ difference, infact the early cars, the ones that actually did touch the garage floor at Shelby command some very high $$$ now. Now, if these new cars, the SS, KR, 40th were not VIN'ed Shelbys to start with, things would be completely different. <<<These cars start as Shelby GT500's and are still Shelby GT500's when they are completed. When comparing most, if not all of the other Mustang builders (Saleen, Steeda, Roush) who buy lesser cars (V6 and/or GT's) from Ford, specifically a V6 Mustang transformed into an S351 in Saleens case, there is no comparision. The Shelby product is on a different/higher level from the beginning.

It is the older guys who are paying the huge $$$ for the KR's, I would guess??

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
There's to many of them now, The GT500 will be built for as long as they can sell them, they already increased production #'s on the KR. SAI opened two new facalities, Tasca and another I think in Texas to help build there 40th's and SS's, I don't think they'll close those when this run is done, who knows what they'll build next, but I do hope they hold there value, If there was one mod I would suggest getting, its the signed dashed plaque, Shelby's 85 now, he may not be around to much longer.

All valid points^^^^^^^^^. Only time will tell.

R

Users who are viewing this thread