GT500 too heavy, Make all aluminium GT350

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
I would rather have less power and less weight! I will save my money for the GT350 (if such a thing ever happens). Make mine with an alluminium NA 5.0 32 valve screamer with 420 hp. Make the weight distribution perfect and the chassis into a handling monster. I have never been able to make a stang handle as well as my 95 Cobra R does. Give it lots of camber and caster! Give it ultra light 17" wheels with 275 series tires. Functional brake cooling ducts blowing on to the same brakes as the GT500. Pre plan a roll bar and put the bar in the Ford Racing catalog. Let it have a back seat that is easily removed.

I know that Ford has left room for this chassis to grow and mature. I just hope gas prices do not kill the performance car before Ford can make a nice, ballanced, high reving, nice handling piece (like the Boss 302) that won't totally break the bank!

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Although I am first in line for a GT500... being a Road Racer/ Auto-Xer myself... I must agree! I'd take 420 HP (vs 500+HP) and 400 less lbs!

But... personally I can't wait that long for something that isn't even being mentioned yet!

Based on the latest article I read... and nothing 'really new' until the '07 Bullit... that makes me think... '08 or later to get anything like a light weight road warrior!

Peace!

Dave

Bower

Established Member
SLA in front of an aluminum NA V8, with an IRS behind (that can handle hop free clutch dumps). A good driver's compartment in the middle with a 5 speed (6 speed is overkill most of the time and it adds weight), along with real (I said REAL) gauges with numbers. Use the GT as a model - it's 90% there. 400hp or so is fine, as long as the overall weight is <3400lbs. It's not just about weight, or about power. It's power to weight ratio that matters. Easier on the gas, easier to make it handle good.

We don't ask for much, do we?! ;)

-Dave
'01 Cobra coupe

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
I actually would prefer the 6 speed... you're right... they are heavier... but 5 speeds seem so 'cheap' now adays.

Peace!

Dave

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
Bower said:
SLA in front of an aluminum NA V8, with an IRS behind (that can handle hop free clutch dumps). A good driver's compartment in the middle with a 5 speed (6 speed is overkill most of the time and it adds weight), along with real (I said REAL) gauges with numbers. Use the GT as a model - it's 90% there. 400hp or so is fine, as long as the overall weight is <3400lbs. It's not just about weight, or about power. It's power to weight ratio that matters. Easier on the gas, easier to make it handle good.

We don't ask for much, do we?! ;)

-Dave
'01 Cobra coupe

Good luck with a weight < 3400 lbs. The GT weighs 3450 lbs. Add bigger brakes, IRS, bigger wheels, more horsepower = stronger drivetrain and it's very doubtful we'll see any high-perf Mustang < 3600 lbs. I'm sorry to rain on everyone's parade but weight savings is $$$$. It's not that I don't agree though...I would much prefer a 3200 #/375 hp GT500 vs. a 3850#/450 hp GT500 (both have the same power to weight) but I don't think it wil be in the cards until the Mustang is redesigned again.

Trublu01

Established Member
Redesign! Well if history repeats itself, here is your less than 3200lb Cobra!

77_CobraII_blue_1.jpg

jshen

Established Member
Doesn't Ford already offer their factory racing mustang with the 5.0 cammer? I suppose it is not street legal..and don't know whether you could make it legal?

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
This sounds like "dejas vu all over again"...Didn't we just go through about a thousand posts over the last few months about how great the new GT500 is going to be... and the "heck" (or worse) with all you "IRS/lightweight/handling snob Cobra whiner guys"???? LOL. How could you raise our hopes once again that it's even reasonable for us to want such a car? Well, God Bless your little heart. I'm with you. GT350....good IRS, aluminum N/A with 400-450 HP and around 3500 pounds. Now we're talking...again. :beer:

I think the factory racing Mustang you are referring to is the Multimatic number @ $150 LARGE. Ford could easily do the requested GT350 for between $35K and $40K.

broeli

Established Member
Now that is something I wouldn't hesitate to buy. Make a Mustang that is a good overall performer and I'll be one of the first in line. Making a lightweight car for reasonable price can be done. For example look at the new RS/MR Evo's that took it a step further with an aluminum roof panel to remove weight off the highest part of the car allowing for even better handling. Not to mention the already light parts used on all regular Evos such as aluminum fenders, carbon fiber spoiler,etc. If Mitsu can do this stuff on a limited production $30k car why can't Ford on a $40k car?
And YES, give me the 5.0l cammer motor :D
Light weight, big brakes, snug seats, n/a 400hp motor, a good irs and I'd be all over it.

Bower

Established Member
Trublu01 said:
Redesign! Well if history repeats itself, here is your less than 3200lb Cobra!

77_CobraII_blue_1.jpg

Heh - I had one of those. My first new car, and 2nd car period. It was a '76 with the Capri 2.8L V6 and the Cobra stripes (white w/blue). 4-speed, natch. Woulda coulda had a V8, but no manual trans in Calif in those days. Put on an Offy manifold and a Holley 4bbl and that lil V6 would rev pretty good!

Car was light - but it's true that the safety stuff, better brakes, and the froo-froo all add weight. Still, at least it had a real front suspension with *aghast* an upper ball joint!

-Dave

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
I just hope it happens before three dollar per gallon gas kills the performance market like in the early 70s.

Fourcam330

Established Member
hollant said:
I just hope it happens before three dollar per gallon gas kills the performance market like in the early 70s.

You'll see gas @ .99 per gallon before the cammer makes production.

Formula51

Established Member
broeli said:
And YES, give me the 5.0l cammer motor :D
Light weight, big brakes, snug seats, n/a 400hp motor, a good irs and I'd be all over it.

Cammer engine or not, I think any SVT enthusiast would be all over this car. That's what is so funny to me. Sure they will probably sell all the GT500's and that's all they care about, but I really think they would all be pre-sold if Ford would have made a car like you described (exagerating a little). It does not appear that anyone on this board would have objections to a car like that. Instead SVT built the behemith GT500 and lots of people love it, but lots of people are, well...less than happy with it.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I agree that Ford should ALSO produce a GT350. Then we would have a performance Mustang for every Ford enthusiast. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

01L2Cobra

Banned
A light weight Mustang with a AL 400hp NA DOHC, IRS, 6 speed, and no fancy interior (give me Recaro seats not the Ford crap seats they always end up using) and I will be happy. But my guess is that we will have to wait till 08 or 09 when the GT500 gets the axe thanks to the next tier of emissions rules coming into effect.

Last edited:

MedVader

Established Member
Here's the problem.

What aluminum block? There is no aluminum 5.4 block outside of the $$$$ Ford GT block.

And considering Ford is putting the same ol' cheapo Eaton roots charger from the '03/'04 Cobra back on the Shelby, I'd wager the Eaton/iron 5.4 actually costs Ford less than a GT block.

So your lightweight aluminum 5.4 GT350 will probably cost more than the GT500.

It's sad to see the GT500 getting watered down by the day.

Trublu01

Established Member
If they make a GT350, I'm sure it will be a 4.6 3v. it would be nice to see some worked heads or even a Ford Racing blower, but how often have you seen that on a production car.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
I do have to agree with MedVader here as well... whether it's the 5.0 Cammer... or the 5.4 GT Block... getting a maxxed out All Aluminum 4.6 is getting old... Ford needs to step it up in the Cubic Inches race... plain and simple... with GM & Dodge's standard now being = to or GREATER than 6.0 litres! 4.6 is getting REALLY WEAK!!!

I'm happy that the mustang is out selling everyone... but if they want to put the nail in the coffin... start producing it with a 5.4 or BIGGER... All Aluminum Motor... ditch the 4Valve heads... they weigh to much... the 3V's are doing just fine! But when the 'Challenger' (2 door lightened up version of the Charger) hits the streets... Ford will be in trouble (other than I HATE DODGE! ;)

98cobra snake

NA
Established Member
Dave Schotz said:
I do have to agree with MedVader here as well... whether it's the 5.0 Cammer... or the 5.4 GT Block... getting a maxxed out All Aluminum 4.6 is getting old... Ford needs to step it up in the Cubic Inches race... plain and simple... with GM & Dodge's standard now being = to or GREATER than 6.0 litres! 4.6 is getting REALLY WEAK!!!

I'm happy that the mustang is out selling everyone... but if they want to put the nail in the coffin... start producing it with a 5.4 or BIGGER... All Aluminum Motor... ditch the 4Valve heads... they weigh to much... the 3V's are doing just fine! But when the 'Challenger' (2 door lightened up version of the Charger) hits the streets... Ford will be in trouble (other than I HATE DODGE! ;)
Agreed. Bring on the CUBES. :rockon:

MedVader

Established Member
Dave Schotz said:

Yup. When it's all said and done. The mod motor is a FWD design. And was only supposed to go to 4.6L.

Ford had a big cube big bore spacing motor designed but had to cancel it due to the company going down the sh*tter. The Hurricane 6.2L

I'm afraid we'll have to make due with blown mod motors for a while to compete.

Which brings me to what I would consider a worthy GT350.
How 'bout a forged Eaton 3V aluminum 4.6 with T56 6speed?
For $30K on the nose.

That's what the Saleen S281E is, right?

Users who are viewing this thread