GT500 too heavy, Make all aluminium GT350

Fourcam330

Established Member
AbusiveWombat said:
Is there really that much weight savings in the body panels? I've always been under the impression that an Al body panel saves ~5-8 pounds.

I believe Paul Bird stated that he expected to drop 200-250lbs from the use of CF body panels on his AI car. He was replacing them all :uh oh:

01L2Cobra

Banned
Fourcam330 said:
I believe Paul Bird stated that he expected to drop 200-250lbs from the use of CF body panels on his AI car. He was replacing them all :uh oh:
It would be nice if Ford could get 100-150lbs off that way. Don't forget about the wheels either. The GT500 wheels will weigh in around 33-37lbs each. Put some 21lb rims or lighter on there and it adds up.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
What about an AL 5.4 version of the FR500 intake? I know there is no way that we would ever see the something made out of magnesium. The magnesium would remove some of the weight off of the top of the engine but at $3k+ just for the intake I don’t see it happening.

No doubt using Al would make the intake cheaper to produce, but it's still going to be a rather complex casting requiring a lot of machining/time. If it were ever production feasible, you're correct, it would have to be made of Al.

Knowing the way the bean counters have been dumbing down the SVT products for years we will never see anything like we have been talking about on here. Ford has had some great concepts but they hardly ever become more than watered downed versions when or if they are ever brought in to production. Ever heard of the SVE King Cobra of the early/mid-nineties? Most people don’t even know about this car since it has never been shown or seen in public.

I think the '05 GT was overall a huge step in the right direction. As good as it is, I'm anxious to see if Ford steps it up regarding the SEs as well. As competetive as the market is right now (I can't think of a better time to buy a high quality/performance vehicle) I think there's a shot.
Ford's definitely brought out some teasers dressed up as Mustangs--one could say the GT500 has its roots in the blown/5.4 SuperStallion of some time ago.

broeli

Established Member
The use of lightweight materials should be easily feasible for a company like Ford. I know I made mention of the Evo using lightweight body panels and I hate to keep bringing it up in this forum, but it also has trick weight reduction features such as magnesium valve cover, hollow camshafts, hollow stem exhaust valves, lightweight factory flywheel, thinner side glass, etc. Ford CAN afford to do the same type of thing. Just do it :D How about hollow (Hotchkis type) swaybars, titanium exhaust? The Mustang can be made fairly light without sacrificing reliability or safety

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I think the '05 GT was overall a huge step in the right direction. As good as it is, I'm anxious to see if Ford steps it up regarding the SEs as well. As competetive as the market is right now (I can't think of a better time to buy a high quality/performance vehicle) I think there's a shot.
Ford's definitely brought out some teasers dressed up as Mustangs--one could say the GT500 has its roots in the blown/5.4 SuperStallion of some time ago.

Speaking of SEs - does anyone have any clues about them? I've heard mention of the upcoming "California Special", but I haven't heard squat about it since. I've also heard people mention a new Bullitt. Anyone?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
broeli said:
The use of lightweight materials should be easily feasible for a company like Ford. I know I made mention of the Evo using lightweight body panels and I hate to keep bringing it up in this forum, but it also has trick weight reduction features such as magnesium valve cover, hollow camshafts, hollow stem exhaust valves, lightweight factory flywheel, thinner side glass, etc. Ford CAN afford to do the same type of thing. Just do it :D How about hollow (Hotchkis type) swaybars, titanium exhaust? The Mustang can be made fairly light without sacrificing reliability or safety

You can hollow out my sway bars but don't even think about giving me gun drilled camshafts?!?! :poke:

01L2Cobra

Banned
eichisama said:
Speaking of SEs - does anyone have any clues about them? I've heard mention of the upcoming "California Special", but I haven't heard squat about it since. I've also heard people mention a new Bullitt. Anyone?
California Special, Bullitt and Mach1 are a go...BOSS is a pipe dream unless Ford has been talking with team Shinoda again.

ac427cobra said:
You can hollow out my sway bars but don't even think about giving me gun drilled camshafts?!?! :poke:
So what is so wrong with drilled camshafts? You do know that they are stock in the 4.6 DOHC's not to sure about the 00R.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
01L2Cobra said:
So what is so wrong with drilled camshafts? You do know that they are stock in the 4.6 DOHC's not to sure about the 00R.

After what the Gen III Sho's went through with cams it gives me the Willies!! :cuss: (but that was due to a key shearing)

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
California Special, Bullitt and Mach1 are a go...BOSS is a pipe dream unless Ford has been talking with team Shinoda again.

Yup... But as for a timeline... Supposedly it's like this...

California Special Mid 2006 (possibly an '07 Model... but hopefully '06)

Bullit Mid 2007 (not until Mustang is getting, or a year before it get's face lift in '08). So... pretty long wait... :mj:

And then Mach 1... which has yet to be give any time frame... but sounds like '08 at the earliest... and possibly '09! :cuss:

As much as I hate waiting for Special Editions... can you blame them... they can't keep what they have now on lots... they only bring out Special Editions as Sales Generators... and with sales this good... they don't need them... :(

Recent article shared that 1 out of every 2 sports cars purchased today is a MUSTANG!!! So... we are a long way off from some significant performance upgrades from Ford. (Of course... anything SVT or Shelby does is always welcome!) :beer:

01L2Cobra

Banned
ac427cobra said:
After what the Gen III Sho's went through with cams it gives me the Willies!! :cuss: (but that was due to a key shearing)
The drilled camshafts are more of a benefit than a problem with the 4.6 DOHC's. There have only been very few problems with them to the point that I have only read of one or two instances where something went wrong with them.

Users who are viewing this thread