GT500's rejected by Shelby Automobles INC

redline

Established Member
whats really funny when i was in vegas a few weeks ago i went to the plant and they had a gt500 in there shop i asked whats the gt500 doing in the shop . the tour guy said they could not inform what they were up to. i seen the gt-h vert. it was very nice

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
fordracerguy said:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/10/SAACked/

Please read this URL. If you don't want to read it all, read the "Enter SAAC" paragraph, especially the italics.

Yeah? So? I read this:
"a daily driver is the exception to the rule and most cars are only taken out on nice days and driven to meets or shows."

This is further compounded by the description of the organization's publication, Shelby American, to which they proclaim...

"In the late 1970s a lot of owners worked on their own cars. Today most cars are taken to professionals. This has eliminated the need for detailed technical articles in the Shelby American. If you don't rebuild your own transmission, you don't need to read an article about how to do that. And the guy you're paying to do it doesn't need to read the article either."

SAAC's position becomes cloudier when you read into the meaning behind their motto...

"Ownership isn't essential, enthusiasm is."

No reason for knocking SAAC for going this way. I used to belong to SAAC back in 1980 (about 2 years after it's inception. I was a high-school student with a '69 Mach 1 and wanted a Shelby baad. Anyway, I got one the next year. Had a slew of Mustangs over the years, including 2 Shelbys--and worked on them all. The owners were getting older & older, or sold them to collectors--most of which (not all) don't know a carb from a modulator valve. They did start with tons of tech articles, and it was great. But as their base got older or more removed from working on their own cars, they went with what the owners wanted, and kept their club alive & relevant to the member's wishes.
I believe that SAAC will now swing to more tech articles on the new Shelbys--if they are smart-- as their base will again be a mix of young & old, with the new cars obviously being higher in population than the old. So, don't knock SAAC for doing what their members requested. I'm sure that they will do what their members request again. They need to so that they can appeal to a whole new demographic of owner. And that will be cool. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread