GTO vs Cobra

jonas

Established Member
Originally posted by lesrok
A friend of mine here in Miami is buying a GTO. He wants to bet 2 bills that he will smoke me. My Cobra is bone stock, think I can take him???:burnout:

yea take the bet and try to race him asap

it takes quite a few runs as is to get the car consistant especially at the gto's and cobras hp levels so if hes as clueless to racing as he sounds Id bet slips :)

btw you race your ride at the track or streets?
I suggest you start if you havent

Grey03

Established Member
I just got my motor trend and the GTO went 13.62 @ 104, no match for an 03 Cobra, and it only did .80g on the skid pad, so it can't handle either. The article even mentions the 03 Cobra and says that it is faster, they quoted the times as 13.0 @ 110.

man it took me a long time to read all these posts:D..anywayz i feel the same way, i dont think it will match the 03 cobra period.....probably gimme a good race if not beat me:D

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
The new GTO wont even be competition for the new Mach 1's let alone the Terminator ..LOL.. The GTO guys will have to pick battles with the dead F bodies to feel good about themselves :burnout:

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Grey03
I just got my motor trend and the GTO went 13.62 @ 104, no match for an 03 Cobra, and it only did .80g on the skid pad, so it can't handle either. The article even mentions the 03 Cobra and says that it is faster, they quoted the times as 13.0 @ 110.

R&T got a 14.0 in the 1/4 for the GTO. Kind of sluggish.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Modesty's fine... We all need atleast some levelness in our head, but lets not get stupid, you and I both know the GTO is and will be rip/flop.

The R's have been kicking ass since 1993, where were the super Camaro's and T/A's? well when the lt1 was handing the 93 R its ass, i don't gm felt the need, 95R cost how much? and still only had 300hp, a lightly modded lt1 has that. The 00r was expensive and got its ass handed to it by the z06. I assure you gm could build a wicked camaro/bird for 45k. but why go to the trouble for 300 cars.

The only thing GM has ever been able to do is stick a chunky ass 100 year old pushrod design in there car. If it doesnt work right or good enough throw displacement at it. Dumbest point ever. The ls1 has almost nothing to do with the old small block, however, it makes excellent power, is a very clean and efficent engine, is much smaller and lighter then the dohc, and has a nice flat tq curve. They haven't added displacement for the cambirds in a while. Nothing bigger then a 350 for how many years. Btw, ford just threw a supercharger at it

"Ooooh oh! the new 6.3 liter can rev to 8000RPMS" You've been building engines built around that setup for damn near 100 years, I'd hope you would have figure it out by now.

It would not surprise me at all if GM started putting distributers and carberators on there new engines... Thats pretty sad.

they stick with what works and works well.

tommygun

Established Member
GTO time from Motor Trend
13.62 @ 104

That had to be a great 60ft time

as for it being faster then a cobra, the day I picked mine up at the dealer I drove it straight to the track and went 13.11@110 BONE STOCK

Friendchicken

I can't see how a new car run by magazines running times from 13.6-14.0 seconds can drop over a full second "once they hit the streets" to match the unmodded cobra.

Let alone the ratio of modded GTO's to modded Cobras. Sure, the first few GTO's to land are going to be grabbed by the odd pro shop to see what they can do and get their name published... but for the most part, the average guy to buy one of these isn't going to swap cams/heads/intake in his driveway, where even myself can do an exhaust/intake/pulley and predator in an afternoon.

Anyone know what the tq curves look like on these cars? Are they using the same rear end as the camaro?

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Let's face it. The Cobra is the performance per dollar mark to beat in the automotive industry. It's hard to imagine more bang for the same bucks, and apparently most manufactures are not yet able to meet the mark.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
I'n typical GM fasion it maybe that they are going to be severely underrated.

Friendchicken

That would mean that they are handing the press cars that are corked up. Not very good marketing strategy to have published numbers way lower than actual. You don't want to tell everyone that your horse is lame hoping that they will bet on you in the race as an underdog.

Our cobras were underrated by Ford, but the press cars showed it's true colours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by super-roo
yes thats right fellas , play up that 14sec official GM time, because when they hit the road realing off high 12s from factory, you will see.

and i happen to have insider knowledge that they are pushing 360+ RWHP..

wangers took a test mule out, and just about sh*t his pants.

14 s... errr yeah = maybe to appease the vette boys.
:-D

The car is a bigger pig than our Cobra. It weighs 3861lbs dry. Even with 360rwhp it is not going to be in the twelves with the puny 245/45 all season tires. The actual rwhp from the last two cars in GMs final dyno test were around 323rwhp, the same as the '02 F-Bodies (SS/WS6 LS1/6 mixes) in most cases. Holden has terrible build quality, very interesting cars and an excellent race program but their quality is one of the worst in the Pacific market.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
Car and Driver

0 to 60 5.3sec
1/4 mile 14.0@102

Brock Yates had the best comment!
"Lusty performance disguised in a phone company fleet car"

He also comment: "When I first spotted our dishwasher-dull,battleship gray GTO, I thought perhaps a navy recruiter had stopped by in an attempt to snare a couple of our offices interns"

His last comment was "The GTO is a solid performing Cinderella who lost her shoe before leaving the party"

super-roo

Established Member
I know for a fact that both cars tested by the mags were test mules, and not at production GTO spec LS1's... the real deals are half way across the pacific as we speak on their way to the west coast somewhere.

even more hi-po versions are coming.
gto_02.jpg

gto_01a.jpg

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

yes thats right fellas , play up that 14sec official GM time, because when they hit the road realing off high 12s from factory, you will see.

and i happen to have insider knowledge that they are pushing 360+ RWHP..

wangers took a test mule out, and just about sh*t his pants.

14 s... errr yeah = maybe to appease the vette boys.

More power than an LS6. Give me a friggin break. I personally don't believe there is a bone stock LS1 dynoing 330 rwhp. I know the owner of the shop where I dyno and he is a GM guy. He has 9-10 race cars and all are GM and F-Bodies. He has dynoed a pile of F-Bodies and C5's and he has shown me a lot of their dyno files and only one F-body, a WS6, hit 330 rwhp and it had several bolt-ons. Most of them including vettes don't even make 300 at the wheels. He told me most are very disappointed. Then when you go to the track and watch these guys run low nines then it makes sense.

GM better get off their ass. There is no doubt Coletti is about to drop the new Ford GT engine into the Cobra. It has a twin screw blower on it already so you know what will happen when we start swapping out the pulley. 650 rwhp will be very easily attained. Coletti also listened to the bowtie boys boast of "There's no replacement for displacement". 5.4 all aluminum DOHC blow engine. GM is heading for second in a hard way with even their flag ship Z06 taking a hit. He sent the F-bodied LS1's out in second place. And now when the vette boys have reason to get excited when the standard C7 comes with a 400 HP engine and the Z gets 500 HP along comes the new Cobra with more power and equal handling.

Last edited by a moderator:

jguerrero

Established Member
If Ford drops the GT 5.4 twin screw in the cobra, I will trade my car in a heartbeat. Can you imagine?I can imagine the price!

Also, I think its funny how everyone on LS1.com is in denial of the GTO times. They keep on thinking that they will magically drop a whole second off there times:lol1: I am starting to feel bad for them. The camaro/transam should never had gone away. they are left with a piece of (dog poo)

I know motortrend and the other mags dont always get the best times, but come on, a whole second. If we go by the same conditions for the Cobra, we can take the 13.0 that motortrend got for the Cobra and say it runs 12's stock. I think not.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
More power than an LS6. Give me a friggin break. I personally don't believe there is a bone stock LS1 dynoing 330 rwhp.

The last one I bought came in at 321rwhp. ;-)

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
It sure seems like this car is going to be a $50,000 Fire Bird. That's what our local dealership is getting for theirs. Man, at that bargain price, I think I'll buy one. Maybe two.

Do you all think for $50k I'll get the hanging headliner? What about the floor hump?

Users who are viewing this thread