Had a terrible day. Wrecked the Mach

CY98Cobra

Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
Then it wasn't fixed right.

That car is a easy fix in the hands of the right shop.

Exactly. The shop I'm using is a big body shop owned by a large Ford dealership. They fixed a friends 96 Cobra that had similar damage (one bent framerail) and it came back just like before.

I was also worried about it being repaired but one of the employees said when they put it together they have to go by Ford specs. He said it's a very small margin and all the measurements have to be within them or the car cannot be released. ALL the work also comes with a lifetime warranty, including the paint. They said a car they had fixed 10 years ago came in with faded paint and they had to repaint it with no cost to the customer.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
wow josh, glad everyone's ok. sorry to hear about the Mach. a shop with a lifetime guarantee? wish we had one around here.
i think it's great that it's fixable. keep the Azure alive!

68Stang

I got your Zoom Zoom
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
You are correct on the salvage thing, and that repair isn't bad at all. If it's like the last one I've had like that it was more rigid than stock.

Most shops will do better than those spot welds the machines do at the factory.
Yup. A good friend of mine went to school for this kind of stuff. The word done, if at a good shop, will come out straighter than factory. Some of the stuff he has done is amazing. He has taken cars crushed like aluminum cans and worked miracles with them.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
97cobraheaven said:
Did you cry? I would have, its ok man, just let it out. We are here for you.. Glad to hear everything is gonna be ok, people and car.

To be honest, I wanted to cry like a little school boy:) But more for the woman than the car.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
68Stang said:
Yup. A good friend of mine went to school for this kind of stuff. The word done, if at a good shop, will come out straighter than factory. Some of the stuff he has done is amazing. He has taken cars crushed like aluminum cans and worked miracles with them.

Good to hear. Total repair bill is $12,000 :eek:

rev440

young punk
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Good to hear. Total repair bill is $12,000 :eek:

If you bring it up to Ohio my guy would be happy to fix that for you for alot cheaper than that. I know its a long drive but it would be worth the money you save and the shop has won many awards and will work with all insurance companys. The owner just did a recent 04 Mach that looks exactly like yours except yours is hit a little harder maybe even the same. The difference is he uses some used parts which will save you a boat load of money. I bet he could save you 3-4 grand no promises but id bet money on it. Are you intersted?

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Usually anything over half the value of the car is a total. Surprisedt they are going to fix a $20k car with $12k worth of damage. Unfortunately this will lower your resale value so I'd plan on keeping it for a long while.

97cobraheaven

Established Member
no, it has to be blue book price or however they decide what it is worth. $12,000 is no where near totaled. there is an 02 z06 at my buddies shop with $22,000 worth of damage and they could have totaled it for him, but the guy wanted them to fix it!!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Hersheyman said:
Usually anything over half the value of the car is a total. Surprisedt they are going to fix a $20k car with $12k worth of damage. Unfortunately this will lower your resale value so I'd plan on keeping it for a long while.

To be totalled the damage has to exceed 80% of the cars value from what I've been told. 97Cobra is right, the body shop said the bill came in well under what is required to total.

rev440 said:
If you bring it up to Ohio my guy would be happy to fix that for you for alot cheaper than that. I know its a long drive but it would be worth the money you save and the shop has won many awards and will work with all insurance companys. The owner just did a recent 04 Mach that looks exactly like yours except yours is hit a little harder maybe even the same. The difference is he uses some used parts which will save you a boat load of money. I bet he could save you 3-4 grand no promises but id bet money on it. Are you intersted?

Thanks for the offer but it's already being worked on. They tried to find used parts but they said it was going to be cheaper to go with new parts than used. Apparently they had a difficult time finding any used Mach 1 parts. Plus, it's hard to turn down a lifetime warranty.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
how much his your deductable josh? Im so glad that car is getting fixed. It's soooooo sexy. One day I will own a mach 1 or 03 cobra. red ofcourse :)

Users who are viewing this thread