Had to put a great man in the ground today

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hi all, just got back from my Grandpa Neil's funeral. He passed last week Wednesday at age 90. He has been steadily declining for years and the toll of multiple health ailments (Parkinson's primarily) finally caught up to him. He was a great man and even better grandpa and I thought I would share a couple tidbits of his life for those would find it interesting.

Early life - born 1923 in Hartford WI, the son of a dentist. Was a freshman at the University of Wisconsin when Pearl Harbor was bombed. He dropped out of school and enlisted in the United States Army Air Force. Ended up being a side gunner on a B-24 Liberator. Here is a picture of him with the crew of his plane, he is kneeling on the left.

hinchmancrewlarge1_zps40559782.jpg

Here is his plane, "Mistah Chick"

42-100146MISTAHCHICK1_zps30392fa2.jpg

He was stationed just outside of London for most of the war and his crew conducted bombing raids on strategic targets in Germany. Once a crew had conducted 30 raids, they were given the option to go back home. On his 29th raid in early 1944, while bombing an oil refinery in northern Germany, his plan was shot up by anti-aircraft fire. Down to 3 engines, leaking fuel and with the hydraulics malfunctioning, the crew voted to fly across the Baltic Sea to neutral Sweden instead of attempting to return to England. They crashed landed at a small airfield in Sweden, all 11 men onboard survived with only a couple minor injuries. Here is a picture of the crashed B-24 -

42-100146MISTAHCHICK2_zpsd7952451.jpg

He spent 6 months as a prisoner of war in Sweden. Sounds pretty terrible doesn't it? Well, in truth, it was like a 6 month vacation for him. The Swedish government did not treat them like prisoners, rather like foreign dignitaries. They had chores to do - cook, clean, laundry, chop wood, etc, but also lots of free time to play sports or go to local pubs and party. Grandpa even had a stunning blonde Swedish girlfriend during that time.

Here are a couple of wartime pics, including one in which he got to meet the Queen of England, and also a stray pic of him catching a nice northern later in life -

scan0003_zps027e5f64.jpg

Near the end of the war in Europe, he was sent back to America where he went to dental school at Marquette University in Milwaukee, which is where he met my grandmother. After dental school he reenlisted in the Army and was stationed in Germany where he reached the rank of Captain. Their first child was actually born in Germany.

They moved back to Hartford where he started his dental practice and had 3 more children. He was an active dentist until 1993 and the last couple years, my grandma was his dental hygienist.

Here is a pic of gram and gramps (on right) on a cruise with gram's sister and husband. Also a pic of my 2 aunts and gramps at the WW2 honor flight at Miller Park (where the Brewers play) in the summer of 2012.

scan0004_zpsf12abd5f.jpg

Here is a couple pictures of gramps at one of the "crew reunions" in Charleston. The smaller man was another gunner on the plane.
scan0008_zps6f713a1b.jpg

Here are a couple of happy pictures of gram and gramps

scan0005_zpsd42adda9.jpg

Here is a picture of gramps meeting one of his 6 great grandchildren -

Grandpa-Ella_zpsc123f1de.jpg

Here is a picture of gramps while he was still living at home -

GrandpaNeil_zpsa9e3b9c8.jpg

Here is a picture of myself (on left), my brother and gramps when he was at the assisted living facility where he stayed the last 2 years of his life

scan0007_zps548191ca.jpg

Even with his declining health through the years, he was always in great spirits and always had a smile for anyone who cared to visit him. He was an avid outdoorsman and loved boating. He was an amazing man who loved his family more than anything else. He got the 21 gun salute this morning and I looked around at my family and there wasn't a dry eye to be seen. While it has been a tough couple weeks for us all, a lot of great memories were shared and I know he's looking down from Heaven on all of us.

Thanks for viewing.

EDIT - Couple links with plane and crash info

http://home.comcast.net/~skyscorpions/macr5924.htm
http://warbird-central.com/2011/07/42-100146-b-24j-75-co-mistah-chick/

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like a great guy. And like we just lost another of the greatest generation.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Got a tear of joy and sadness from me. May his memory and lifelong efforts be valued by your family and America.

Anyone that voluntarily enlists is a great man. Even more so, the ones that don't need to go around bragging to people about it. I'm glad he could some recognition on here. :beer: The WWII vets have far more class than today's vets.

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
Sorry for your loss. That was a very nice tribute to him. Sounds like he lived a full and fulfilling life. A lot of people can't say that.

ssssnake

Established Member
Thanks for letting us know a little bit about your grandpa. A very nice tribute. My sympathies to you and your family.

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Reading this gave me chills. Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss :(

oldmodman

Established Member
Sorry for the loss of a member of "The Greatest Generation"

I met quite a few of them while touring the Normandy beaches a couple of decades ago. The stories they were telling were so matter of fact.

" I lay in the surf behind the bodies of ten guys that I had tried to come ashore with. As the day went on I was finally able to creep up the beach and plant my explosives under the machine gun nest so the rest of the guys were able to advance"
It was told like this is what I did today because I had to and it was my job.

And the guys that were in bombers like your grandad had a lousy rate of survival. But they took off every day and completed their missions.

Salute.

I hope that all the men and women in the sandbox are remembered the same way in 70 years.

Mika

Established Member
Thank you for sharing. This country is great because of people like him. RIP. my sincerest condolences.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks to all of you for the kind words, and you all are correct about him being a great guy. His generation was filled with men of similar courage and ambition but I think he was an especially bright star amongst his peers.

And yes oldmodman, it took some stones to do what he did. He always used to tell us that instead of wearing their helmets, him and his crewmates sat on them because it was more likely to stop a bullet when the underside of the plane was being shot up.

krman68

Established Member
Sorry for your loss..They were indeed the greatest generation!!

Thanks for sharing. Great pix but I have to say the B 24 was one ugly ass plane. The designer had to have been blind

My Dad was also in WW 2 also, he flew in a B26 Marauder. He has been gone for a long long time. Miss that guy

04owmach

Established Member
Sounds like a great guy! reminds me of my grandpa. during ww2 he lied when he enlisted saying he was 18 when he was only 16 and joined the navy. i was never old enough to really learn about what he did in the navy but i wished i would have been. sorry for your loss op but those memories you have are priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread