Harbor freight tools?

99GTvert

Established Member
Anyone ever use them? I've seen some pretty good prices but don't know if the tools are junk. I'm looking at jacks, air tools, and possibly a miter saw. Any experiences with any of these or any others I should check out?

AznStanger3v

King of the LOL
Established Member
I love Harbor Freight, especially for tools that you don't expect to use too often. They warranty most of their shit, so it really doesn't matter if you break them. I've been trying to destroy this $12 dremel i bought from them but that bastard just won't break. lol. Good shit, cheap prices. I support HF

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Probably 95% of my tools are Harbor Freight bought.

I think ive broken one wrench and that was due to misuse.

Theyre decent quality and perfect for weekend wrenchers. Cheap enough that if one does break iys not a major loss.

mustanginky

Established Member
i own mostly craftsman tools that i've had for years, and a lot of them crap out and need replaced. sockets bust, ratchets stop ratcheting, etc...i've recently started buying harbor freight tools. yes they're cheapo's. yes some of the stuff is garbage, however, a lot of it works pretty dang good. i live about 5 miles from one, and love the place.

clean93

Established Member
been using harbor freight tools daily since 2003 and love em. only problems ive had were 3/8 drive air ratchets taking a crap and their 1/2 drive inch air guns too. they have a basic tool kit with over a 100 tools for like 40 bucks :banana:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Some of their stuff is pretty decent, some of it is junk. Most of their hand and air tools are garbage. I do have a nice aluminum floor jack, a motor support bar for dropping k members, and disc brake tool set from them that are good quality.

oldmodman

Established Member
My only gripe about Harbor Freight is that it's too far away.

And even with it being too far away I still own a ton of it.

None of it has ever broken. Not the highest quality but it's good enough for loaning out.

stangaholic280

Established Member
Harbor freight is junk

I have a snap on box full of snap on and craftsmen tools.

Support America not China.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I'd have to go with this. Most of their stuff is very cheaply made and is either going to break on you, or make the job harder than if you had a better quality tool.

The only time I buy stuff there is when I expect to not use a tool more than once or twice and want to stay cheap. For example, a dial indicator.

I would stay away from heavy duty or high use tools from HF.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Harbor freight is junk

Lol @ this mindset.

Cant talk shit about snapon but any company that can give you a free replacement on any tool no questions asked probably didnt spend much to make said piece in the first place.....

Krwy

Established Member
I've had the same two harbor freight die grinders for about 10 years. I bought a few other things and a 'mechanics' tool set to take to the junkyards. Decent for the price. I wouldn't justify spending the serious coin for snap-on and the like for an 'at-home' wrencher.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
If you're a mechanic, I'd probably spend the coin for better tools. But frankly, for how much they cost and how often I use my tools, I do buy a lot from them. I especially like their plastic pry tools. They are literally the same at the Matco pry tools except they're 10 bucks instead of 45.

aaandht

Established Member
Harbor freight is junk

+1 to this.

If I do need something on a sunday I usually go there, buy it, use it and return it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have a bunch of harbor freight things. they are fairly decent. that being said:

snap-on > craftsman > several others > harbor freight

txyaloo

Established Member
Harbor freight is junk

...Craftsman tools are made in China now, chief. Most of their non-hand tools have been made in China for quite a few years.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Every 3/8's drive ratchet I've bought from craftsmen has literally sheered the teeth off within the first week. I work on cars ALOT, throughout the week and into the weekend. But I would have expected it to atleast not kick the bucket within half a month

aaandht

Established Member
...Craftsman tools are made in China now, chief. Most of their non-hand tools have been made in China for quite a few years.

He was probably refering to the older ones. Their torque wrenches are still made here IIRC. Kobalt has also moved their crap to China/Taiwan. They had a fire sale just before they switched, got some nice USA made tools for next to nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread