hard shifting???

sctjbird87

Established Member
Hey guys....newbie here just got my 03 last week and LOVE it. only problem i have with it is it seems that sometimes when trying to shift into first gear or reverse and sometimes even second that i have to fight with it to get it to go in and then when i do sometimes i get a clunk....im doing a trans fluid change tomorrow with royal purple synchromax and am gunna hope that this makes it better if not does anyone have any ideas?? thanks

SlowSVT

Established Member
Don't you think it would help to provide more information on the car like what kind of mods if any are on it? More importantly who did you buy it from.

sctjbird87

Established Member
sorry about that ....car is an 03 with 22k miles on it only mods are bassani catback, jlt cai, and an mgw short shifter, the car was owned by an older man before me.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
these cars are a little notchy and a little bit more difficult to shift than other manuals... it takes a little practice to get it down...have you adjusted your clutch?

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Hey guys....newbie here just got my 03 last week and LOVE it. only problem i have with it is it seems that sometimes when trying to shift into first gear or reverse and sometimes even second that i have to fight with it to get it to go in and then when i do sometimes i get a clunk....im doing a trans fluid change tomorrow with royal purple synchromax and am gunna hope that this makes it better if not does anyone have any ideas?? thanks

I am having the exact same symptoms as you and I have a Centerforce dual friction (10 months old) with a fiore quadrant and adjuster with stock shifter (and I am quite experienced with the shifter feel). No matter how much I adjust the clutch, it fights me going into 1st or rev. I have noted that it only does it after everything is all warmed up. When it's cold in the morning it shifts like butter. When you say you get a clunk.... Do you mean like in the driveline as it finally finds the slot? Or do you get a grind? I get a driveline clunk and never any grinding. I was thinking fluid may very well do the trick for me too. Please follow up on this thread if you get to it before I do. I will do the same.

sctjbird87

Established Member
well it turns out today on my way home from work i was coming down the highway and got stopped at a red light so i stepped on the clutch and when at a complete stop went to put it in 1st and trans said no so i put 2 hands on it and trans still said no ...now the light is green so i started letting the clutch out while pushing on the shifter and it finally went in and off i went. then i went to switch gears and it was basically like i was switching gears without the clutch even though the pedal was pushed to the floor every time. so when i got home i inspected and nothing looks bad or broken but i had an aluminum quadrant laying around so i put that in and ordered an adjustable cable. my thinking is that the cable streched and the clutch was dragging. we shall see in a few days!! still gunna change the fluid though.

xtremecr00

Established Member
i have a similar problem also. i still have the stock clutch and quadrent in too. please update this when you change those parts i want to see if it helped

sctjbird87

Established Member
yea i wish i woulda read about doing that before i ripped the cable and quadrant out lol o well will be getting the cable tomorrow and the quad is already in. 20 min time and itll be bak on the road!

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I am having the exact same symptoms as you and I have a Centerforce dual friction (10 months old) with a fiore quadrant and adjuster with stock shifter (and I am quite experienced with the shifter feel). No matter how much I adjust the clutch, it fights me going into 1st or rev. I have noted that it only does it after everything is all warmed up. When it's cold in the morning it shifts like butter. When you say you get a clunk.... Do you mean like in the driveline as it finally finds the slot? Or do you get a grind? I get a driveline clunk and never any grinding. I was thinking fluid may very well do the trick for me too. Please follow up on this thread if you get to it before I do. I will do the same.

You probably need a new clutch

Check your tob clearance, I bet it's riding on the pressure plate and can't be adjusted off

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
You probably need a new clutch

Check your tob clearance, I bet it's riding on the pressure plate and can't be adjusted off

That's not it at all. Clutch has maybe 8,000 easy miles on it and it adjusts just fine. Just doesn't want to slip into gear easily. Works fine cold though. I think I currently have D/M fluid in it which may be part of my problem.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
That's not it at all. Clutch has maybe 8,000 easy miles on it and it adjusts just fine. Just doesn't want to slip into gear easily. Works fine cold though. I think I currently have D/M fluid in it which may be part of my problem.

I had the exact same problem with my dual friction and had under 5k on it. Never been to the track and not driven hard. The clutch was "defective", as long as you aren't going through tobs and can adjust your cable, you probably don't have my same problem.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I had the exact same problem with my dual friction and had under 5k on it. Never been to the track and not driven hard. The clutch was "defective", as long as you aren't going through tobs and can adjust your cable, you probably don't have my same problem.

So what exactly happened to it? Did it just wear out prematurely? Or was there an issue with the P Plate or something? I do suppose it's possible that something is binding. Back in my DSM days I had notorious trouble with dampner spring dislodging from the clutch disk and getting between the disk and PP.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Defective Pressure plate I guess. The fingers were pushed all the way back to the point that the fork was hitting the tranny, no more adjustment was possible. The clutch disc was fine and looked great but the p/p was another story. The tob was constantly riding on the fingers of the p/p

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Defective Pressure plate I guess. The fingers were pushed all the way back to the point that the fork was hitting the tranny, no more adjustment was possible. The clutch disc was fine and looked great but the p/p was another story. The tob was constantly riding on the fingers of the p/p

Well that sucks! I don't think that's my issue then because I can adjust my clutch to the point of freeplay at the top of the stroke.

Users who are viewing this thread