Harley or Jeep?

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
A little ways out but in a couple years (2/3) in looking at getting a toy. I have a Honda Civic for a DD which I will be keeping but I like having a second vehicle as a toy but also just in case I need it. My car is paid off and I'd be paying cash for the new toy.
I'm looking at either a 2010-2014 Harley 48 or 2000-2004 4WD 2DR Jeep Wrangler. Would like to spend under $10k (keep in mind this is a couple years out) I know the jeep is a little more expensive.
Pros / Cons to each?

I'm leaning towards the Harley because I miss having a motorcycle. Also the ease of maintenance and better mpg

jenkins_1120

Established Member
jeep! i miss my wrangler. The 4.0L is pretty much indestructible and will run forever. If you plan on offroading alot try to find one with a dana 44 rear that was an option for ones with tow packages (i think) and the rubicon. Ive driven my wrangler from NoVa to FL and the from FL to Texas. It never mattered highway or city i always got 15-16 MPG. Ive also had bikes and if i were to choose I would definitely get the wrangler.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I vote harley but if you plan on putting any real mileage on the 48 do yourself a huge favor and step to a dyna. street Bob would be a good alternative. I had a sportster and anything other than around town sucks, a dyna is great city and long ride bike

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Do you have somewhere to offroad? I've had a TJ in my driveway for over 5 years, it's my girlfriends. I don't know what is fun about Wranglers unless you're trespassing, there is a snowstorm, or a hurricane just rolled through. I think people get hung up on the image and idea of possibly offroading at some point. Get something that is fun the majority of the time you'll be using it. Probably would be the bike for you. I would like to have one but I know that sooner or later I will get ****ed up on it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Former Fatbob owner here (XL 883 and Fatboy before that). Dyna is hands down the BEST Harley family made. PIck anything 2008+ and you're golden (except the switchback). Im partial to the 103" Big Twin, with an intake and Vance and Hines with Dynojet tuning it simply HAULS ass!

Comes down to what you want to do with the second vehicle. While I enjoyed my time as an HD owner (7plus years), I have a GT500 now (and for a time a 2014 Mustang GT) for a reason.

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless you have a place to run the Jeep and enjoy off-roading, I would go with the Harley.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since it's a toy as you already have a DD and you're planning on keeping it for a few more years, unless you have a need for the Jeep I'd say go with a newer Harley (and models recommended by others). Sounds to me like you're inching towards a Harley over the Jeep anyway. Just be sure you really will keep your Honda for a few more years. Sounds like maybe your finances are a bit tight so if there is any possibility that you are going to need to get a new replacement DD with the next 2-4 years, you might consider saving the money you'd spend on the Harley/Jeep and apply it to a new DD. JMO.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Obviously you are not looking for a family hauler so no need to ask that question. Do you need a vehicle for inclement weather? Are you going to USE the Jeep? As in off roading? Most of the 4 wheel parks around me require you to have a decent setup. I would not take my stock 4wd Ranger, even with the skid plates. Most parks seem to cater to those that are lifted, bigger tires, etc... You obviously cannot haul much of anything with a Jeep so I say go with a HD.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Well as of two days ago, I have both. Just picked up a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Truthfully though I don't ride the bike much and I'm trying to sell it. It just isn't fun to me anymore.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
pretty easy

are you building a mall crawler? then Harley (though a Harley is mostly used to just shine up and cruise around like a mall crawler)

Do you have places to off-road? the build a Jeep

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Just be sure you really will keep your Honda for a few more years. Sounds like maybe your finances are a bit tight so if there is any possibility that you are going to need to get a new replacement DD with the next 2-4 years, you might consider saving the money you'd spend on the Harley/Jeep and apply it to a new DD. JMO.

Honda will be kept for another 8 years. Finances aren't tight I just don't want a car payment, I buy all major expenses with cash.

Do you need a vehicle for inclement weather? Are you going to USE the Jeep? As in off roading? .

I plan on moving to the carolinas in a couple years but probably near the beach, so very little inclement weather.

I've been riding for 50 years and I love it. BUT, remember>> if you ride it's not IF you FALL it's WHEN you FALL.

This is experience speaking.

Already fallen on my last bike. Had 3 surgeries, still miss it though. This bike would just be a cruiser not crotch rocket like the previous bike.

pretty easy

are you building a mall crawler? then Harley (though a Harley is mostly used to just shine up and cruise around like a mall crawler)

Do you have places to off-road? the build a Jeep

The jeep I would like to use it for off roading, or as people I've noticed in the south do "mudding"

MG0h3

Established Member
I loved having a bike but traded it and cash for the Cobra. The small town I lived in while in CA was great for riding--little traffic. Here is El Paso, with the worst drivers Ive seen in my life, I felt like I was going to get killed.

Ive got a 73 CJ5 with a 408W, lockers front and rear, etc. that is really fun to cruise around in on the street or off road. No top/no doors on a Jeep is as close to a bike as you can get I suppose.

Jeep is for sale though...dont need 1100 HP in the garage and I always drive the Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread