Has anybody 11+ had a "bump" in the steering wheel?

maple

Established Member
If anybody owns/owned an early 2000's+ Chevrolet truck or SUV, you're probably very familiar with the "bump" that I am referring to. The Chevrolet's would be fixed by replacing the intermediate steering shafts. Any similar issues with you guys?

stang910

Established Member
I know what your talking about. A lot of GM's had that issue and it drove me crazy in my previous cars. Never had that kind of issue with any of the Ford's I've owned.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I remember in my 1998 Chevy Truck, the electronic sensor on the steering shaft was faultly, causing an unsafe steering responce at higher speeds.

Is that the old Chevy problem you were referring to?

Marc

Established Member
Same thing is happening on my 2006 Rav 4. Its the Intermediate Steering Shaft. There was a guy that did a temp fix by shooting some bicycle chain oil through a small needle down the shaft. A couple people said that worked. I am trying to get a hold of a needle to try it. I think anytime of decent lubricant would work.

The shaft for my ride is $150 on EBay, but the shop wanted $450 to install. Looked it up and its a hour and a half labor. So, if the fix above don't work, I will do it myself. Mine has been like that for about a year now, but starting to drive me crazy.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I also know what you are referring to, but have not had or seen this on any 11+ mustangs. Did someone remove the shaft through the firewall or at the rack at all? Also how many miles are on your car?

maple

Established Member
I also know what you are referring to, but have not had or seen this on any 11+ mustangs. Did someone remove the shaft through the firewall or at the rack at all? Also how many miles are on your car?

I am the second owner of the car. I know the car had LT's at one time, but not much more information other than that. Car has around 57k miles.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Thats enough info and what i was maybe trying to get at. The shaft would need to be pulled to install them. They either didn't fully tighten the rack or column bolt and you are getting play from there, or then didn't fully seat the shaft through the bearing at the firewall. It could also be a bad shaft from wear, but i would start with checking the things i mentioned first. The shaft should fit snug at the bearing through the firewall. It can also be other things resonating through the shaft in the suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread