has anyone bought/sold a car out of town

Kartracer

Established Member
I think I have my car sold but we are trying to figure out a way to make the transaction so we are both comfortable.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If he is buying from a credit union/bank youll have to meet at his lender, especially if your car is still under lein itself.

If its cash transaction with title in hand, usually its customary for the buyer to meet at the sellers house as a gesture of good faith. Id be weary if someone wanted to do a car transaction in some dimly lit gas station, like "what are you trying to hide?" When i go to someones house to buy a car, usually that means they arent hiding anything since you know where they live.

92whitestang

Established Member
I sold my my car (in Miami) to a guy in New Jersey. He called me to initiate an offer. I snapped about 100 photos that same evening and uploaded to photobucket so he could see every square inch of the car. He stalled for about a week to make sure he wanted it and then called me to tell me the check was in the mail. Once received I took it straight to the bank and since it was a cashier's check, it took no time to clear. The next day I overnighted the titles and all of the paperwork I had. Three days later a car carrier showed up and it was gone. Smoothest transaction I couldve ever imagined and it was my first. The guy who bought the car was absolutely in love.

at the end of the day he has to send the money. Its as simple as that. Unless he wants to fly to you to do things in person. A plane ticket could be cheaper than any grief caused if 1)you werent to send the car after receiving the money or 2)he isnt satisfied with the car and wants his money back.

How about promising to go half with him on a plane ticket. Maybe you'd offer $200 off the price if he were to come to you. Just a thought.

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
I've sold my cobra and just sold my Z06 this past weekend. Both were from out of state. Just make sure you get certified funds or cash. There is a lot of trust on both parties.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Certified funds! Once the money is there AND verified release the car. Bought and sold numerous cars as far away as California and Florida from Upstate NY with no problems.

Jroc

Established Member
I bought my Cobra in Appomattox, VA.

I flew into Philadelphia, PA, and bought my L in Sewell, NJ.

I bought my 88 GT roller in Roanoke, VA, and towed it home with my L.

I live in SC.

Last edited:

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
the last 3 cars ive bought have been out of state. went very smooth. just have the paperwork in line, on both ends, and it eliminates a lot of b.s.

Kartracer

Established Member
Defintely certified funds, my car is free and clear. I was wondering if anyone ever did anything like C.O.D. or have the carrier show up with the check and i give them the title.
Looks like just lots of trust on both parties.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Defintely certified funds, my car is free and clear. I was wondering if anyone ever did anything like C.O.D. or have the carrier show up with the check and i give them the title.
Looks like just lots of trust on both parties.

I always had them send a certified check overnight with tracking and then confirm the funds or I have had a wire transfer as well. I did it the same way buying. No problems....my bank has always required copies of the title when buying and lien releases which are hard to fake and easy to verify.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
i sold both my 03 cobra and my stroker foxbody to out of state people that sent tractor trailers up to pick them up. They sent me bank cashiers checks and they cleared within a few days before the cars shipped off. Unlike nigerian scams, they were legit banks and i spoke with both people on multiple occasions over the phone.

Nukem1040

Established Member
I sold my my car (in Miami) to a guy in New Jersey. He called me to initiate an offer. I snapped about 100 photos that same evening and uploaded to photobucket so he could see every square inch of the car. He stalled for about a week to make sure he wanted it and then called me to tell me the check was in the mail. Once received I took it straight to the bank and since it was a cashier's check, it took no time to clear. The next day I overnighted the titles and all of the paperwork I had. Three days later a car carrier showed up and it was gone. Smoothest transaction I couldve ever imagined and it was my first. The guy who bought the car was absolutely in love.

at the end of the day he has to send the money. Its as simple as that. Unless he wants to fly to you to do things in person. A plane ticket could be cheaper than any grief caused if 1)you werent to send the car after receiving the money or 2)he isnt satisfied with the car and wants his money back.

How about promising to go half with him on a plane ticket. Maybe you'd offer $200 off the price if he were to come to you. Just a thought.

We just sold our 03. He sent a $500 Non-Refundable check and he is going to fly down or drive down to Savannah, GA from PA to look at it and then trailer it back. It works all the time. GL!

oldmodman

Established Member
And here is a suggestion for all the certified check people.

When you get the check, phone the issuing bank to verify that they actually cut the check. And it might even be necessary to fax them a copy of the check.

It's worth the trouble. I got a certified check for a $60,000 video camera once. And the certified check was phony. When I called the issuing bank they had never heard of the person, and the number on the check was from many years ago. Best phone call I've ever made.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Yes, Let the check CLEAR. Most banks will credit you the money just assuming it will clear. PLEASE PLEASE make sure the money actually clears. They will credit you the cash as soon as you turn it in, but if they check is B.S. they want their money NOW!! Either the credit they gave OR your account in the negative.

Alex

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I had someone drive 10 hours to deliver a cashiers check. Then they came home with my truck and title in hand. No way I will trust someone to send me the title. I had that chance on another truck, no way.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I wont ever buy a vehicle without seeing it. If its too good to be true, it usually is. If I want it bad enough, I'll drive there with a trailer and cash in hand.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought my SVTF from a member of this site that is out of town to me. I talked to him about it through email and on the phone, flew into Dallas and he picked me up and took me to his house. We looked at the car and took it for a spin and he told me that if I didn't like it he would take me back to the airport. I was financing the car and had a check from USAA and when he called his bank about it they told him that it would take a couple of days for it to clear. I told him the ball was in his court and it was up to him how it went from there. He let me have the car and FedEx'd the title when the check cleared. He made a copy of my dl and we signed a bill of sale for each of us to keep and I left.

I was glad I didn't have to fly back home and then come back for it after the check cleared, but I told him I would if that's how he wanted to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread