He*p...sheared lug on front hub

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Washed my car this AM (last time was prob 10-12 days ago... car never sees bad weather), and noticed that a lug nut was missing. Upon further inspection, the lug has sheared off. I torque them down to 90lbs, so I don't understand what could have happened... but whatever the case, I need to get this fixed.

hate to take it to the dealer if it is something I can tackle.

I do not have a service manual for my Shelby, so I have a few questions.

1) are the front lugs pressed into the brake rotor or the wheel hub? Probably a stupid question... I assume it is the hub.

2) upon removal of wheel, caliper, and rotor hat, are the lugs pressed in or screwed into the hub?

If they are threaded/screwed in, then I will try to do this job myself. If they are pressed in, I will take it back to the dealer. Car is still under warranty.

Thanks!

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Ok, thx for the reply.

I guess I could get a couple of open-end nuts and "pull" the new wheel stud into place from the front side of the hub. I don't want to remove the hub just to put one wheel stud in.

CPRsm

It is best to pull it off. You can have it pressed in and out with support around the stud to keep from f'ing the hub. You can bend it trying to hammer it out.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Washed my car this AM (last time was prob 10-12 days ago... car never sees bad weather), and noticed that a lug nut was missing. Upon further inspection, the lug has sheared off. I torque them down to 90lbs, so I don't understand what could have happened... but whatever the case, I need to get this fixed.

hate to take it to the dealer if it is something I can tackle.

I do not have a service manual for my Shelby, so I have a few questions.

1) are the front lugs pressed into the brake rotor or the wheel hub? Probably a stupid question... I assume it is the hub.

2) upon removal of wheel, caliper, and rotor hat, are the lugs pressed in or screwed into the hub?

If they are threaded/screwed in, then I will try to do this job myself. If they are pressed in, I will take it back to the dealer. Car is still under warranty.

Thanks!

Once the hub is removed, it is pretty straight forward, drive out the old/broken stud and pull the new stud into place. The thing to make sure, is that the knurls in the new stud line up as best as possible with the knurls of the old stud that was driven out. This will Greatly help on the new stud install because the knurls will follow what has already been cut into the hole instead of trying to cut new knurls, PLUS and more importantly, cutting more knurls in that same hole will increase the chances of a future stud spinning/stripping in that hub hole because so much metal has been displaced with many, many different knurls cut into the same hole.

If you don't feel like doing it, remove the hub, bring it to a local auto parts store that has some sort of machine shop capabilities (axle bearing pressing etc.), buy a new stud from them and have them install it. It won't cost much and it will be ready to reassemble.

If you want to make sure that the replacement stud is the right one, see if your local Ford Parts has the correct stud, buy it and then bring the hub to that same machine shop, it will be cheaper than Ford, and I don't know that an issue like this is covered under a Ford warranty? Maybe? :shrug:

R

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If you decide to do this make sure you have a large enough socket for the spindle nut and get ready for some serious torque when you tighten it. The spec is something like 150 lb/ft. aka big cheater bar.

Tom

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
Or if you dont have open nuts, just use a bunch of washers and a lug nut. :)

I was rushing to go to the Penguins game last November and sheared one off the back of the Jeep wrangler... but then drove to the game on 4 lugs. :shrug:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Thanks guys. I have all the tools (incl large socket for spindle nut removal), but in the end called my dealer who has always treated me, and my vehicles, well. Took it in at 8am, and got it back by 1pm...all under warranty.

I still do not understand why this would happen. I drive the car very little, and do not remove/reinstall the wheels often at all (maybe 2x since ownership).

Users who are viewing this thread