Head gasket torque down Re -usable ?

NastyNate420

Established Member
anyone re-use a head gasket after its been torque? NO HEAT CYCLE down for about 4 hours.
I for got to put the dowel alignment pins in. realized and tore it apart. fel pro mls

hotcobra03

Established Member
I first thought no..but being just put on I like to see replys..

Guess worst case in new gasket and bolts. 250 vs issues later

cj428mach

Established Member
I've been told they're ok to reuse again as long as you didn't run them. I think Malcolmv8 reused his but you'll have to ask him. I think he was constantly removing and reinstalling his heads as he was building his motor checking tolerances.

I personally threw my mine away as it wasn't worth pulling the motor again over a $50 gasket in my situation.

Last edited:

NastyNate420

Established Member
Yeah Ive read mix reviews and I wasnt planning on reusing it . Oriellys is supposed have new ones for me in the morning. If they dont come through I might have to reuse. Did Malcolm full Torque his head down? Ive read you can torque them to 15ft lbs to check clearance. The gasket looks pristine but I not worth the chance In my opinion

Blueline

Established Member
I agree I would not chance it, I always use new gaskets. Even if they were tightened down for a few min, I would not run them.

SlowSVT

Established Member
When you consider the cylinder pressure this gasket must endure due to FI and the consequences and work involved :cuss: should you breach the seal why would you want to take that chance? Reusing the old gasket will always leave you with that nagging question "did I do the right thing?" every time you stomp on the pedal. Why not remove all doubt and install a new one. Nothing will seal better than a spanking new mod motor head gasket right out of the box :)

Users who are viewing this thread