Header install

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Yeah, now that I know how to take care all the nuances, it wouldn't take me anywhere as long as it did lol. Half the time I was trying to figure out how to get past little quirks. It's a big sense of accomplishment for me. Biggest car project that I've tackled so far lol.

headers were the same for me. Then I tackled the blower. It's an awesome feeling doing the work yourself!

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Did some more vids today, enjoy...

[youtube_browser]CS3Bsm6_puY[/youtube_browser]
[youtube_browser]4JY20ayMbB8[/youtube_browser]

walked_u_hard

Established Member
got any with the cut outs closed? im doing the jba LT's and x with magnaflow cat back. should sound pretty wicked.

anyone want Roush axle backs? OP? they'll be for sale soon.

thanks for the vids, appreciate it.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
It wasn't the k member that was the problem. There were many hours wasted on such stupid nuances such as not being able to get the damn ground cable off of the motor mount lol. 2 hours being baffled by it. Then on the driver's side there is a header nut that is right behind the AC hose...that was a pain in the ass. 90 min before I said screw it and drained the AC fluid and removed the tube. Just a bunch of dumb stuff one after another. Wouldn't take me more than 5-6 hrs now that I know how to get around all the nuances.

Damn I can't believe you drained the AC system. All you have to do is bend the ac line over a bit. But good job getting it done.

Man I wish some of you guys that are paying shops $450 to do headers lived closer to me. I'd do them in my driveway for you for $200 lol
4hrs of work $50 an hour sounds good to me lol.

scott_0

Established Member
good job doing the install yourself, extra money in your pocket and the feeling of accomplishment

GT915

Established Member
Congrats on doing it yourself and saving the money. You have the pride of having done it yourself, plus you can spend the money you'd have spent on install on another mod. I'd also like to hear it running through the stock axle back. Is it a 3 inch xpipe? Sounds wicked with the cutouts open btw.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Are you doing this on a lift?
Has anyone done this on just jack stands with NO lift?

I installed headers on two 2011+ cars on jackstands in my driveway. I dropped the k member on both installs. I just trace the k member with a sharpie before I unbolt them so I can put it up exactly where it was. About a 3-4hr job now for me.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
What's all involved with dropping the k-member???????

Remove motor mount nuts, remove steering shaft. Remove front wheels. Support engine and trans by the bell housing. Then 4 nuts and 4 bolts for 8 total to drop k member. Then lower motor so the headers nuts are almost below frame rails. Pretty easy and getting to the stock headers and putting on the new headers is a joke since you have so much room.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Remove motor mount nuts, remove steering shaft. Remove front wheels. Support engine and trans by the bell housing. Then 4 nuts and 4 bolts for 8 total to drop k member. Then lower motor so the headers nuts are almost below frame rails. Pretty easy and getting to the stock headers and putting on the new headers is a joke since you have so much room.

:beer: thanks!

GT Stang

Torque
Established Member
is your headers touching the steering wheel shaft when you are turning right ?

i have the same headers and they are touching the steering shaft when turning right

is there any way to adjust the headers angle ?

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
is your headers touching the steering wheel shaft when you are turning right ?

i have the same headers and they are touching the steering shaft when turning right

is there any way to adjust the headers angle ?

I do get a weird sound when turning right, and have to put more effort when turning right, I was going to redo the steering shaft to see if I messed something up

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
I do get a weird sound when turning right, and have to put more effort when turning right, I was going to redo the steering shaft to see if I messed something up

You might have a bad batch of headers if the are hitting your steering shaft. There really isn't any adjustment with the steering shaft. To an earlier question above if there is any adjustment with the headers? You can't adjust them in any way. Technically the only way you could adjust the headers would be to either get adjustable motor mounts to lift the motor a bit or you could even go to the hardware store and buy some washers and slide them on the bolt then rest the motor back down on it.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
or you could skip all that BS ^ and dent the header in just enough to clear the shaft...

Users who are viewing this thread