Headers-The ordeal is over! and some insight

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Hi all,

As many of you know (as you can see from all of my posts), I decided (for reasons I am now not so sure of) to install a set of Kooks 1-3/4 long tubes in my 13 convertible. I read everything I could from the posts on this forum, to youtube videos, to an advance copies of the install instructions. I convinced myself that it cant be all that bad to install. Well boys and girls I was WRONG!

I've been working on cars since I was 12 (I'm in my 50s now). I drag raced for years. Mostly Mopars. I've dealt with Chargers, Road Runners, 340s, Hemis. Build my own Dana 60 rears, 727 autotrans. Put a 69 Road Runner together that came in a box with no instructions. None of this prepared me for the nightmare I was about to face. To those of you that took this job on and brought it to conclusion, I bow to you all.

First off the header instructions are sorely lacking. It skips a lot of steps. To say "remove' is not good enough. With this car you need to know how to remove and in detail. The manifold come of with very little effort. Getting the headers in is another matter.

Lets start with the "do I remove the K member or not". To quote the Kooks support guy, you will need quaaludes and every tool imaginable to do it without removing the K member. You can get the passenger side in without removing it, but the drivers side is next to impossible. It gets stuck between the bellhousing and the area where the cross brace attaches. I tried jacking the engine as high as it would go, rocking to the right (I sweated that one as I was afraid the engine would slip off the jack). It simply would not go. Kooks recommended removing the K member (not mentioned in the instructions).

Next order of business is the O2 sensor harness. You need to be creative to unplug the passenger side. The latch to unhook it is at the back of the plug. You need a long screwdriver and you need to get the blade into the square opening at the back of the plug and push down while pulling the O2 pig tail. There is no way to get both hands in there. You will need a long pair of needle nose to grasp the pig tail and pull while pushing the screwdriver.

Now if you want to re-connect the O2s after the header install and not use the extensions, you have to undo all of the clips around the bellhousing that the harness is anchored to. Left and right are on the same harness. Pull one side, you shorten the other. Oh and by the way, these clips are under the EGR tube. I removed it for better access. Big mistake. It took an experienced guy 2 hours to get it back in (more on that later)

Getting the starter back in is fun too. The headers are in the way to afford any type of wrench or ratchet other than an extremely short 10mm wrench. And the bolts are long. All of the bolts are long (headers, engine mounts, starter), and you will only have enough room for a short swing of the wrench. Be prepared to take breaks as you fingers and hand will cramp up from being in awkward position.

Back to the drivers side header. I was quite prepared to remove the K member until I started thinking about what was over my head. A 600lb engine. They say never support the car with a jack along. Doing that with an engine may be just a bad. Imagine if the jack failed or slipped. I was willing to buy the Ford tools to do it until I found out that the engine brackets that bolt to head are 500 dollars each and the support 1700 dollars (you actually need pieces from two types of supports to clear the blower and the hood). At that point I chickened out and trailered the car to an experienced Mustang shop.

In speaking with him, he said he can install the left header without removing the k member. I asked him how, but he was unwilling to share the secret. I don't blame him as that's his business. So it started off by taking two hours to get the EGR tube back in, 4 hours to install the header, and another hour to get the dip stick in. Do yourself a favor and get the Lokar flexible dipstick. Even that was bitch to install on a hoist. First off, the stub that goes in the hole is way too long and needs to be cut back. Second its right behind the oil cooler/filter attachment and angles towards the fender and you cant really see it.

Finally a word about the 02 extensions. Many say don't use them. Some say to use them. I'm not sure what the issue is. I've heard the pins are loose or pop out or they don't plug in correctly. I've heard the added wire throws the voltage off. kooks still supplies them with the headers. They shop that completed my install used one on the right side as he was afraid that not using it would pull the harness too tight. He didn't seem to worry about it and indicated he never had a problem using them. I would think that by now the manufacturers would have solved any issues. I didn't run car long long after the install. Just enough to get it out of the shop and into the trailer (of course it snowed the day of the install and they salted the crap out of the road so I couldn't drive it home) and then off the trailer and into the garage. I'm sure it wasn't enough time to go into open loop, but it did not throw a code and ran fine.

This all went down on Wednesday to Thursday. I've finally recovered enough to write this. Am I trying to dissuade you from taking on this project? Not at all. just making you aware of the realities involved. Am a glad I did it? Time will tell.

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
A motorcycle jack would make it easy and safe for you to support the engine if you did decide to take down the stock K to do your headers.

t7fx3p.jpg

hwiihl.jpg

I put a BMR K in my car last winter in my garage, the stock K comes out pretty easy and shouldn't be too hard to reinstall after header install.

I left my engine sitting on the M jack for over 2 weeks after removing stock K before installing BMR K...………….the engine never moved I could've slept under my car the whole time with no worries about being crushed under it.

Tony

Last edited:

Robot_trainer

Established Member
A motorcycle jack would make it easy and safe for you to support the engine if you did decide to take down the stock K to do your headers.

View attachment 1529419

View attachment 1529420

I put a BMR K in my car last winter in my garage, the stock K comes out pretty easy and shouldn't be too hard to reinstall after header install.

I left my engine sitting on the M jack for over 2 weeks after removing stock K before installing BMR K...………….the engine never moved I could've slept under my car the whole time with no worries about being crushed under it.

Tony
That probably would have worked. I didnt have one of those. With one problem after another surfacing, i could help but wonder what other pitfalls were waiting for me

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Just loving my cast iron log manifolds even more.

I've done headers on older cars and cussed them. I can't imagine your frustration.

Tom

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Just loving my cast iron log manifolds even more.

I've done headers on older cars and cussed them. I can't imagine your frustration.

Tom
If I knew then what I know now and the fact that I dont race it, I may have abandoned the plan. I'm old school. When I see cast iron where tubes should be it causes irrational thinking.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Actually I have one of those support beams and there's no way to use a strap on the engine and be able to remove or install the headers. It's great for changing out the k-member, but little use on a header install. I run ARH headers and didn't have to remove the K, but the oil cooler/filter adapter need to be removed, as well as the engine mount brackets. One thing I did on the top starter bolt was use electrical tape to hold the bolt to the socket to get it threaded with an extension. You don't want to tape up to the point the socket won't stay with the bolt.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Actually I have one of those support beams and there's no way to use a strap on the engine and be able to remove or install the headers. It's great for changing out the k-member, but little use on a header install. I run ARH headers and didn't have to remove the K, but the oil cooler/filter adapter need to be removed, as well as the engine mount brackets. One thing I did on the top starter bolt was use electrical tape to hold the bolt to the socket to get it threaded with an extension. You don't want to tape up to the point the socket won't stay with the bolt.
Not for the faint of heart thats for sure. I'm going to have to do something that I hate to do and thats run the car during the winter months in the garage. Need to see what happens when it goes into closed loop. I dont think I ran it long enough from the shop to the trailer-trailer to my garage for that to happen (although it did stink from all the crap on and in the pipes). I'll have to pick a warmer day. I just put fresh oil in it. I guess I'll dump it in the spring. I just want to store it and not look at it until spring.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Problems when you don't have a lift......
It's a worthwhile mod, just one I'd never do myself without a lift.
-J

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I just finished swapping stock manifolds to turbo manifolds on my s550 (FAR less room in engine bay than s197) on my back on jack stands in garage.

AWFUL AWFUL. Hopefully not again for a LONG time lol.

Don’t blame you one bit OP.

Oh... and I need to buy a lift like ASAP haha.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have $1200 in my 2-post (I think $1800 in the 4-post), but worth every penny.
Do a couple big jobs yourself and the lifts pay for themselves in labor costs.
-J

RBB

Established Member
I have $1200 in my 2-post (I think $1800 in the 4-post), but worth every penny.
Do a couple big jobs yourself and the lifts pay for themselves in labor costs.
-J
Lifts are pretty cheap, for most the main issue is having a garage with a high enough ceiling or thick enough concrete.

Wife and I are in the process of building a new house and those two things are non-negotiable. She can do whatever she wants with the rest of it, but I’m getting a garage built to my specs.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
That was my biggest problem. No ceiling height and not enough concrete thickness/cracked. The Quickjack has alot going for it. It can lift it easier, faster and safer than a jack as well as higher, but its just not the same as a lift.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
putting headers on while the motor is out is where it's at!

I do a lot my own stuff but headers with the engine in the car won't be one of em

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
putting headers on while the motor is out is where it's at!

I do a lot my own stuff but headers with the engine in the car won't be one of em
I put my headers on when the engine was out of the car, and it still took hours lol.. I couldn't even imagine doing it with the engine still in the car. I also used new factory studs and had to cut one in half. If someone chose to use the stainless bolts the headers come with I see the job being a little less time consuming, but then you have SS bolts in your aluminum block

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I put my headers on when the engine was out of the car, and it still took hours lol.. I couldn't even imagine doing it with the engine still in the car. I also used new factory studs and had to cut one in half. If someone chose to use the stainless bolts the headers come with I see the job being a little less time consuming, but then you have SS bolts in your aluminum block

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

to be fair mines just a mach1 so not sure how different it would be. The Kooks headers and the slip fit first tube helped a lot but there were still some tight spots. That's the only nice thing I have to say about my Kooks

Users who are viewing this thread