Headers Worth The Money

moonltgold

Headers are definitely worth something but not as much as other mods. Even with the modded JBA shorties I have I got an extra 15 peak hp/15 peak tq SAE, so I would think LTs can get at least equal hp and more torque within the 2800-5500 rpm range where they typically make their torque.

shb5007

Established Member
I am still on the fence, more so than any mod I have ever done to my car. I am in no rush though, so that is good. I have done pretty much every bolt-on except for a lower pulley...so I think headers would be next. The next 4 mods will probably be a Killer Chiller, FTBR bushings, racing seats, and long tube headers.

mdrc347

Established Member
well, just speaking from my point of view with a 2.3 whipple since some posting are using twin screws as examples. Maybe less for an eaton obviously. My point is E85 creates a real buffer area of safety....93 is razor thin in comparison, especially beyond 15-16 degrees of timing. Your boost is really limited to 17-18 at the most. Case in point....i have an ultra safe 93 tune 560/550 at 15 degrees and 17psi. The E85 setup is 714/650 at 23 degrees and 22psi. The margin for error on E85 is vast. I probably feel safer running the E85 with 154 more rwhp than I do running pump 93 LOL. You won't believe how much better the drivability is on E85. The idle is honda like, the tip in throttle is immediate, the internal intake temps stay low.....every aspect is total win except availability and mpg hit. Cost per gallon is low (3.19 last fill up for me)

So back to my point.....lets say headers yielded a higher end 30 (thats retune and reclaiming lost boost) from my original 560 pump 93 number....but E85 swap got me 154 over the baseline pump number! Got to keep the stealthiness and avoid other header issues... Sounds close to 5 times the increase to me

:beer:

I think E85 is overated. If you do the research, there is no federal mandate on E85. So, when you get E85 at the pump, there is no guarantee that it is 85%. It could be 50%, or 65%. There is no way to be sure. Most tuners tune for worst case scenario, so you aren't really getting the max potential. The only way to get guaranteed E85 is to buy it buy the 55 gallon drum, which is more expensive.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I think E85 is overated. If you do the research, there is no federal mandate on E85. So, when you get E85 at the pump, there is no guarantee that it is 85%. It could be 50%, or 65%. There is no way to be sure. Most tuners tune for worst case scenario, so you aren't really getting the max potential. The only way to get guaranteed E85 is to buy it buy the 55 gallon drum, which is more expensive.

No, the current federal minimum by law is 70%, and that only occurs during winter months in primarily northern states where temps drop below freezing. This is in an effort to minimize cold start issues. Southern states will get the summer blend all year.

I have a 15 buck tester from summit racing that is basically a small test tube. It takes 30 seconds to test the fuel at the pump and I know exactly the ethanol content before filling up. I have never personally tested below e83, most of the times it test e86 to e88. That is more than adequate to run the car safely wot. The car will run on e70 no problem, the tune would not have to be changed.

If all else fails and e85 was unavailable, the process to drop in the 93 tune and swap the pulley is a 5 minute process. This could be accomplished any where on the road or at a station. You do not have to drop fuel tanks or any crap like that. Just run the current fuel down and fill up with the alternative. The car will start right back up and you are on your way.

E85 is hardly overrated.....that was just wrong. You make the switch, have it tuned by someone as knowledgable as 04sleeper, and you would think the holy grail of supercharged performance has just been found :beer:

Check out the distillery forum that Kevin moderates....lots of great info there :rockon:

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
What do you do when its not up to spec? Keep driving around until you find a station this is up to spec lol

It shouldn't be that inconsistent for station to station.....the reason being there are actually quite few refineries. Probably the same refinery is supplying all the stations in your state. You will know if the winter blend has hit, it's more consistent than you believe.

mdrc347

Established Member
No, the current federal minimum by law is 70%, and that only occurs during winter months in primarily northern states where temps drop below freezing. This is in an effort to minimize cold start issues. Southern states will get the summer blend all year.

I have a 15 buck tester from summit racing that is basically a small test tube. It takes 30 seconds to test the fuel at the pump and I know exactly the ethanol content before filling up. I have never personally tested below e83, most of the times it test e86 to e88. That is more than adequate to run the car safely wot. The car will run on e70 no problem, the tune would not have to be changed.

If all else fails and e85 was unavailable, the process to drop in the 93 tune and swap the pulley is a 5 minute process. This could be accomplished any where on the road or at a station. You do not have to drop fuel tanks or any crap like that. Just run the current fuel down and fill up with the alternative. The car will start right back up and you are on your way.

E85 is hardly overrated.....that was just wrong. You make the switch, have it tuned by someone as knowledgable as 04sleeper, and you would think the holy grail of supercharged performance has just been found :beer:

Check out the distillery forum that Kevin moderates....lots of great info there :rockon:

I understand that it works great for your application. But some people that pull into a gas station on E would not want to swap their tune and pulley because the fuel did not test right. For example, I live in rural WI. We have maybe 2 or 3 gas stations within a 25 mile radius that even sell E85, so it would be a PITA for me to go get it all the time. I've considered going E85, but I would only do so if I were going to buy E85 buy the drum and keep it at my house. Everyone on here has different conditions and circumstances. It isn't always a perfect fit.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I would run e85, but I have a hard time thinking the stock bottom end is up to the challenge...

mach1033

Established Member
It shouldn't be that inconsistent for station to station.....the reason being there are actually quite few refineries. Probably the same refinery is supplying all the stations in your state. You will know if the winter blend has hit, it's more consistent than you believe.

I wish I did have E-85 around here cause I would use it in a heart beat. The only station I found is at a Gulf station at Newark Airport.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Back to topic:

I bought the pacesetters off amazon...$380 shipped! I have a lot of stuff going on my car...but if they don't arrive at my tuners before he finishes everything else I told him to do a before and after on the 2.3 with and without spray so I could post up what gains are made or not made.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
I bought the 1-3/4" ARH headers with 3" x necked down to 2.5". I picked up 30hp and 40lb tq and lost 1lb boost so i say they are definitely worth it

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
I bought the 1-3/4" ARH headers with 3" x necked down to 2.5". I picked up 30hp and 40lb tq and lost 1lb boost so i say they are definitely worth it

Was that with your current horsepower? if they make the power curve overall better and do at least 15hp/tq i will be happy...especially with the inexpensive pacesetters i bought.

mdrc347

Established Member
Was that with your current horsepower? if they make the power curve overall better and do at least 15hp/tq i will be happy...especially with the inexpensive pacesetters i bought.

I hope pacesetter makes a better header than they did ten years ago when I bought them for my gt. I took one look at them, and sent them back. The welds were crappy, and the tubing was like cheap tin. And, they came with the crappy bolt on collectors. Let me know how they are now. My brother-in-law is thinking about buying them.

horspla2000

Established Member
I just put Macs and a Lethal ORX on mine. It def lost boost. I have a 16# Hilton overlay, and it used to peg. Plus I know from a recent dyno tune that I peak at 17.5#'s Now it looks to be 15-15.5#'s I haven't driven it much, but it feels like some of the snappyness is gone. I need to get a tune revision, and I think I'm going to go from a 2.93 upper to a 2.76 to get my lost boost back.

shb5007

Established Member
I was looking at a set of 1 3/4 to 3" collector with a 3" to 2.5" x-pipe.

Will that be okay with a ported Eaton? or should I stick with 1 5/8 to 2.5" headers?

mdrc347

Established Member
I was looking at a set of 1 3/4 to 3" collector with a 3" to 2.5" x-pipe.

Will that be okay with a ported Eaton? or should I stick with 1 5/8 to 2.5" headers?

1 3/4 with 3" are definitely going to flow better. But, with just a ported eaton, 1 5/8 with a 2.5" would be sufficient. That is what I run. You also need to take clearance into account. From what I have seen, the 1 5/8's headers fit easier than the larger counterparts.

brentsSVT

Established Member
Stock headers will be fine for what your current goal is. I made 693@18psi on stock manifolds in a stock block. The key for me was e85. It was worth probably 70hp in my situation. Can't beat it. I am actually gonna be putting in some pacesetter longtubes today. Got them and the midpipe fir $333.50! Brand-new aswell. If anyone is interested in a set pm me and ill send you my vendors info. There's a guy on modularfords who was at 700 on a stock block and whipple 3.4 and picked up 70 rwhp from them. Granted big gains will only really be seen after 600 hp. Install a tubular k memeber while your in there!

Users who are viewing this thread