Hellcat vs GT500 at WannaGoFast 1/2 Mile Event

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Got this from a thread over at hellcat.org.

Im sharing not so much about this race in particular but more about overall performance at 7000ft DA. Especially cooling performance of the hellcat. Pretty impressive stuff imo. Here is what was said...

Last weekend I did the WannaGoFast half mile racing event in Clayton, GA. I got the opportunity to race against a GT500 Mustang and here is how that turned out:

http://youtu.be/6fknVjXIgJ4

To be fair, he missed 3rd gear, but I was still almost 10mph faster than his best speed of the day. I ran 150.6MPH with a DA of 7000, and my best run of the day was 150.8. To put that in perspective, Vipers were running mid 140s, stock GTRs were running high 140s, stock GT500s were running about 140. I actually got up to 153 after passing the timer.

One thing I learned about the Hellcat is just how awesome the cooling system is for the supercharger. Dodge really did an amazing job keeping the engine cool under performance and not losing power. The guys with the GT500s were taking about how they lose 50-100HP after their first run. They all told me "your fastest run of the day will be your first." Even the custom twin turbo Vettes were losing a lot of power from heat. You'd see them all with their hoods up between runs to cool down their engines. I actually got faster throughout the day. My last run of the day was .6 MPH faster than my first, and I was picking up 2 tenths of a MPH almost every time.

Here are some images from the day:

0c9ad9f15c297e82916717927c4e4806.jpg

225fbb161fd26394b64dde1a6b86bfe1.jpg

89fdf6ca5576fadca11149ddf61f2b2a.jpg

Last edited:

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Thanks for posting. I would def enjoy doing something like that.

It seems pretty cool. They say they sell out FAST. Which is good in a way. There wont be 1000 cars and only able to get a single shot. Hate when its like that at the drag strip.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very impressive note about the cooling system for the blower. Love that Sublime Metallic Hellcat Challenger.

R1Lello

Established Member
Maybe Dodge should teach GM how to keep the C7Z from overheating (so many posts lately when they hit the track it's just sad)

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I'm still trying to find out if guys were racing from a roll, if this was basically 1/2 mile drags on an unprepped surface?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Thanks for sharing! Where is this event is hosted at?

It's in GA, just across the TN state line. But they also do them other places. They did one up by Chicago last year, but I guess they couldn't get that airport again. I hope to see this type of event continue to grow.

mavisky

Established Member
1/2 mile drag race on an unprepped surface. I haven't seen the final results posted yet for the event here at the end of May. I was there the day before these runs so didn't see that GT500 running. A friend of a friend in a mostly stock Hellcat was running right in the 154 range I think on everyone of his runs. Not sure if he was a 6 speed or the 8 speed auto though.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
that Hellcat is sounding better and better to me everday

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Hemi,

I'm researching trap speeds from 1/2 mile events and your post seemed way off, 10 minutes of research later and I find the DA conditions were ~3700 feet for May 30th and ~3800 in the Clayton, Georgia area. Not great air but far from your 7k+ foot exaggeration.

Users who are viewing this thread