HELLION Twin Turbo kit install thread...

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I wish my pockets were deep enough to do this :D

Me too. This is murder.

I got the FMIC on. Being that I have a GT500 front, the driver side bracket was dead in the way of where the cold side connector would hit coming out of the top of the intercooler. I trimmed the piece with a dremel, retaining the mounting points and swapped a screw with a nut and bolt and it fits perfect now. I'm horrible, I should have snapped pics before and after. I keep coming home from work and working on the car at night. So the pics are horrendous. One shot I threw on instagram is here...

1017489_10201243110940901_198078322_n.jpg

StevenStarke

Established Member
My powdercoater didn't match the compressor housings the way I'd have liked him to, but whatever.

424567_10201243789317860_2101796341_n.jpg

D.T.R

Established Member
Can't see the picture at work as it's blocked.

Quick question: I just got the rest of my kit last night... i got the manifolds, all the piping, WGs, etc etc...
Now, one of the manifolds came with the vband clamp already on there. Seems like stuck on there... i couldn't get it off (i didn't force anything though) ... is that how everyone else's is? I tried to clamp the turbo to it and i wasn't quite able to as the clamp sits kind of weird on that flange because the clamp is pretty much touching the dump tube. I can take a picture tonight and post it.

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Established Member

Quick question: I just got the rest of my kit last night... i got the manifolds, all the piping, WGs, etc etc...
Now, one of the manifolds came with the vband clamp already on there. Seems like stuck on there... i couldn't get it off (i didn't force anything though) ... is that how everyone else's is? I tried to clamp the turbo to it and i wasn't quite able to as the clamp sits kind of weird on that flange because the clamp is pretty much touching the dump tube. I can take a picture tonight and post it.

When they fab the header they put that on because you wouldn't be able to get it on after. It will work. Mine is the same way. Put anti seize on the band connections too.

StevenStarke

Established Member
On a side note I'm at a major roadblock. The bag with ALL the V bands and T bolts is missing. I honestly can't remember if I ever had it or I lost it. Can't see how I would have lost it as the box of the kit has been in my basement since today I got it. So needless to say I'm aggravated about that. I've had the kit 2 months now though so I really can't blame Hellion. I really think I saw it too when I first got the kit. So I'm gonna go drop $100 on clamps today if I have time.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member

You can get the clamp off. If you look at the clamp carefully they actually notch the clamp a bit to get it on there. You habe to spread the clamp open pretty far to get it off. If they made that manifold and built around the clamp that would be stupid! Then what if the clamp broke how would you get a new one on there? Just look for a notched section on the clamp. I took mine off while I was putting the manifold on the car.

D.T.R

Established Member
i think it'll be way easier to put the turbo on once the manifold is secured or bolted to something. i was playing with it on in my living room, sitting on the floor... trying to hold the manifold at the right angle, line up the turbo and clamp it... and i kid you not i spent a good hour and couldn't get that damn turbo clamped. I don't know if taking the clamp off would help at all...

OP, yeah that would suck. Maybe Hellion can cut you a good deal... like... half price? all those tbolt clamps are going to be expensive.

Last edited:

Torchy

Established Member
How did you use the stud on the drivers side rear? It will stick out and hit the down pipe? :shrug:

I reused all but 2.

Yeah your probably right. Think I left a few off. My car only had 6600 miles on it when I put the kit on so no rust on my studs.

TurbOKerb

Established Member
i think it'll be way easier to put the turbo on once the manifold is secured or bolted to something. i was playing with it on in my living room, sitting on the floor... trying to hold the manifold at the right angle, line up the turbo and clamp it... and i kid you not i spent a good hour and couldn't get that damn turbo clamped. I don't know if taking the clamp off would help at all...

OP, yeah that would suck. Maybe Hellion can cut you a good deal... like... half price? all those tbolt clamps are going to be expensive.

The passenger side header that has the clamp already on it is by far the most difficult part of the install. You will want to have your cold side piping and your down pipes laying in position when you clock the turbos. Basically slip the compressor outlet as far into the silicone coupler as you can and loosely clamp the down pipe while you clock the housings so that the turbine inlet will sit nicely on the header flange. Once you have the passenger side installed, the driver side is a breeze.

CSG

Established Member
I fought mounting the pass turbo yesterday. It took forever, I gave up a couple times before finally getting it...

Torchy

Established Member
So the secret I found to mounting that pass turbo is really open up that V-band FAR. Dont be scared and really stretch that clamp out and the turbo goes on easily. My only issue I keep having is keeping the pass DP off the battery tray. I've had that turbo on and off 5 times. Xpipe to DP connection isn't very great. Keeps pushing the DP over on the metal battery tray and making a ugly cabin noise even with using the DP to bell bracket. I need to cut the flang off my xpipe and rotate it slightly and reweld it back on to fix it correctly:/

OveRBoreD

Established Member
So the secret I found to mounting that pass turbo is really open up that V-band FAR. Dont be scared and really stretch that clamp out and the turbo goes on easily. My only issue I keep having is keeping the pass DP off the battery tray. I've had that turbo on and off 5 times. Xpipe to DP connection isn't very great. Keeps pushing the DP over on the metal battery tray and making a ugly cabin noise even with using the DP to bell bracket. I need to cut the flang off my xpipe and rotate it slightly and reweld it back on to fix it correctly:/

Ya same here. Took 4 times before getting it right. I really had to pull up on the xpipe connection DP and juggle clocking the turbo vs the downpipe(the mid pipe portion) while lining up with the wastegate and silicone coupler. Took a good bit of work to get the DP off the battery but finally did it. I second the part of pulling the vband wide. Once you get the turbo mounted nicely on the flange seat the vband just enough to keep the turbo and flange from sliding while still allowing rotation. I clocked the exhaust housing twice before it fit good with the DP. (Keep the exaust housing loose so you can make adjustments and tighten when you get it all lined up) Honestly the next hard part for me was the fittings for the oil sending unit. Took me 3 times of taking the whole unit off and redoing it all before getting it to not leak. (The top AN fitting for the pass feed still leaks the tiniest amount but that's because it's still not tight enough)

D.T.R

Established Member
Awesome info guys. I'm basically taking notes of all this for when i start on mine lol.
I might even have to PM some of you so that I don't clutter threads with questions.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
Awesome info guys. I'm basically taking notes of all this for when i start on mine lol.
I might even have to PM some of you so that I don't clutter threads with questions.

Any time bud. It was a fun build. Don't *think* I would do it again from start to finish. Taking it apart and putting it back together is much easier since I did the install myself however.

Users who are viewing this thread