Help before I purchase this cobra

Tench96

Hi there everyone, I’m about to purchase an 03 cobra with 82k miles but I have a question about the aem failsafe gauge. The dealership sent me two pictures, in one it’s reading 16.8 at idle and the other it’s reading 17.6. They said it evens out when driven. I just want to know if this reading is high and what I should look out for, and what other problems I should look at before purchasing it. It is a very accredited dealership with great reviews. The car has a ported blower, cam, intake, headers and a full exhaust. Thanks for all help.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I'm not sure about the readings, but that sounds like a car I would definitely check out in person - and have thoroughly checked out - before buying.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
That would be something you'd need to get with a warranty and get a datalog out to a legit tuner asap or tow it to a local guy who is good with them. Its hard to tell, mine can jump all over the place sometimes but you really want it to snap to 12 something at WOT and stay there.

Tench96

That would be something you'd need to get with a warranty and get a datalog out to a legit tuner asap or tow it to a local guy who is good with them. Its hard to tell, mine can jump all over the place sometimes but you really want it to snap to 12 something at WOT and stay there.

Would it do me any good to get them to hook it up to see if it threw any codes? Seems like a good car that’s the only thing throwing me off

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can't really judge that gauge by two split second pictures. Widebands bounce around a lot as mentioned. I'm sure I've seen 16+ on mine driving around. Things change with throttle position and such. It's at WOT that you would be concerned with the reading. If it's just the gauge bugging you jump on the car. Then have the tune either checked out or have it retuned by someone you know and trust.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How far is this car from you? It would be great if you could find a good shop to check it out for your peace of mind. And check it out yourself. These cars aren't cheap and they're getting older, so it should not be out of the question to request this from the dealership IMO. What kind of warranty is the dealership giving you? The traditional 30 day, or none? I have some info in my Terminator FAQs that might help you evaluate this Cobra. If doesn't replace a good shop checking it out or seeing it in person, but it has good tips. Here's the link.
What Things Should I Check For When Buying A Used 2003-2004 Cobra?

I hope everything works out for you.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You can't really judge that gauge by two split second pictures. Widebands bounce around a lot as mentioned. I'm sure I've seen 16+ on mine driving around. Things change with throttle position and such. It's at WOT that you would be concerned with the reading. If it's just the gauge bugging you jump on the car. Then have the tune either checked out or have it retuned by someone you know and trust.
This, and wrong section. I’ll move it.

Tench96

How far is this car from you? It would be great if you could find a good shop to check it out for your peace of mind. And check it out yourself. These cars aren't cheap and they're getting older, so it should not be out of the question to request this from the dealership IMO. What kind of warranty is the dealership giving you? The traditional 30 day, or none? I have some info in my Terminator FAQs that might help you evaluate this Cobra. If doesn't replace a good shop checking it out or seeing it in person, but it has good tips. Here's the link.
What Things Should I Check For When Buying A Used 2003-2004 Cobra?

I hope everything works out for you.

Thank you, and the car is 45 minutes from me. I’m going to request they put it on the lift and let me check it out underneath and hook it up and check for codes. Whether a warranty comes with it or not I’m not sure but I’m gonna talk to them and see if they can’t give me a 30 day warranty considering I’m going to be driving it 1000 miles back to Georgia when I make a trip back home

FIREBALL

Established Member
Well there is a lot advice that could be given here, But man if you are only 45 minutes away you should not buy it until you drive it----and bring a code reader with you. They are not going to give you a warranty except for a Tail Light warranty-----which is when you drive away and the tail lights are gone (not seen) the warranty is over.

Last edited:

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Go look at it yourself. Have them put it on the lift. Bring a code reader as mentioned. The Pic of the gauge doesn't mean anything. They could've started it two seconds prior to taking the Pic. It should read 14.5-15.5 once the 02's take over. A few tenths of a point swing in either direction doesn't matter at idle.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
A Cobra is not the car to buy based on pics when they're modded. Also, if the wideband sensor is incorrectly installed, this can give inaccurate readings, which is another reason to check the car out in person. Any Cobra is an awesome car to have, but bad tunes, poor maintenance and dumb owners contribute to a car the looks good in pics hiding some major issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tench96

If anyone is interested in a sonic blue cobra or a oxford white cobra with 700+ horsepower and 30k miles near Texas let me know. He has those for sale as well. Great guy to do business with

01yellercobra

Established Member
Purchased the car, it’s in perfect shape other than could probably use a dual fuel pump in the near future. WOT gauge reads where it should, I’m already in love with the car

Congrats on the purchase. The stock fuel set up uses twin pumps. You might need to upgrade them eventually though.

Users who are viewing this thread