help diagnose problem -2013 GT

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i have a bit of throttle surging (i think), but its not my tune. I returned back to stock and it does the same thing. Its actually been doing this since it was driven off the lot but I babied it so much im not noticing till now. Symptoms are: i Have too hit the gas a couple of times all the way down to get the car to respond, almost like the throttle body has to be jump started. Also when cruising in any gear with the pedal just slighly down, it rocks back and forth almost like the throttle is bieng blipped just a tiny bit. Once i give it more gas the rocking goes away. No codes...it really feels like a lazy ot stuck throttle body if that makes sense....does anyone have any experiences with something like this?!?! After a few googles, i read its likely the MAF or TB...so before i pull the trigger on a new TB can anyone help out? thnx:beer:

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
I seem to have this problem only when I'm using regular crap gas and it's very few and far between. If I'm running 93 it never does it.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
hmmmm see i always run chevron 93

also forgot to mention*** when ever i come to a stop light and throw it in neutral, as the revs drop down, it sometimes goes really low and almost cuts off but it catches itself:??::??:

cdog1157

Established Member
Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I'd datalog and send it to your tuner first to make sure it's not in the tune. Datalog your stock and aftermarket tune and your tuner can verify there's no problem there. You can also try Disconnecting the battery to do the idle relearn. I'm guessing you have a manual but if its auto you can also try this

Easy Button for Adaptive Shifting SNAFU - Ford Mustang Forums

its a stick! i guess i can datalog it...this thread kinda sounds like it could be it. I tried doing a KAM reset and relearning idle. It idles just fine except for all the above

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
I have a lazy throttle and the car bucking. It has happened twice in the last 500 miles.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I have a lazy throttle and the car bucking. It has happened twice in the last 500 miles.

im not alone!:beer:

Hmm you have a 2013 also....im seriuosly thinking the throttle body is the culprit. I called Ford and they quoted 309shipped for a new one or i can go big and get the accufab 84.5 mm for 509 from LMR. Im gonna try cleaning it tonight and see what happens

anyone else?!

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Do you not have a warranty?

it sat at the dealer for 2 days and they said they could not replicate the issue, the dealer is always trying to get out of warranty work

its an intermitten issue, but Definatley an Issue

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
im not alone!:beer:

Hmm you have a 2013 also....im seriuosly thinking the throttle body is the culprit. I called Ford and they quoted 309shipped for a new one or i can go big and get the accufab 84.5 mm for 509 from LMR. Im gonna try cleaning it tonight and see what happens

anyone else?!

I would say it happen at 800 miles and how I have 1350. It hasn't happened since. The dealership didn't check your ecu for a tune change?

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Maybe you can meet up with a local 5.0 owner and switch tb. If the issue is gone in your car, but starts in theirs then its the throttle body. Would be cheaper than buying a new tb just to check it out.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I have 4200 miles and my car does this as well. At first I figured the car was learning but after 5 months and 4200 miles it is getting to become a real nuisance. I reminds me of an old carburetor that is out of tune. It stumbles and hesitates then clears it's self up at WOT.

P.S My car is 100% stock and I only run Sunoco 93

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I would say it happen at 800 miles and how I have 1350. It hasn't happened since. The dealership didn't check your ecu for a tune change?

They hooked it up to all thier stuff and could not tell i had a tune previously. I even told one of the techs there i had a tune on it before, he also has a tuned 5.0 and he said its not anything can see or detect at the delaership level. They ran all kinds of tests but they just didnt drive it enough to experience it. It has to be plain as day in your face with DTC's for the delear to even really care

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Maybe you can meet up with a local 5.0 owner and switch tb. If the issue is gone in your car, but starts in theirs then its the throttle body. Would be cheaper than buying a new tb just to check it out.

good idea! I cleaned it last night, no change.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I have 4200 miles and my car does this as well. At first I figured the car was learning but after 5 months and 4200 miles it is getting to become a real nuisance. I reminds me of an old carburetor that is out of tune. It stumbles and hesitates then clears it's self up at WOT.

P.S My car is 100% stock and I only run Sunoco 93

yes excatly! After a romp or 2 at WOT, it clears up for bit then kinda goes back. When stopping at the light, its came close to turning of but it catches it self everytime...hmmmmm:??:

walked_u_hard

Established Member
digging up a old thread here but.... This just started happening to my 11 GT today, it acts alot like my cobra did when the TPS was going bad. Gonna take it to the dealer and see what they do. Anyway...

I data logged it (car is 100% stock at the moment) and if i rev the car up to about 3k and let off the throttle the RPM's will drop to 350 RPM and the lights will flicker a bit and then raise idle back to normal slowly.

If i hold the RPM's between 2k and 3k rpm you can watch the tach needle move about 100 rpm in either way. Is this what is happening with your cars? anyone get a dealer to fix this?

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Finally! So I'm not crazy after all? My car just started doing this exact same thing. Stock tune as well. Figured it was a vac leak. Did you guys ever figure out the solution to this?? I'm thinking a tune might fix it but I would love to hear from one of you guys

Nocturnal5.0

Captain Go-Fast
Established Member
Throttle Issue

Do your cars do this at any particular time? I have close to the same issue, but it's only after a completely cold start, when first driving and the engine hasn't reached a closer to full operating temperature yet. It will hesitate slightly unless I give it some gas, but once the temp climbs to about the 1/4 mark on the gauge it's fine.

Blackmagic1

Established Member

Do your cars do this at any particular time? I have close to the same issue, but it's only after a completely cold start, when first driving and the engine hasn't reached a closer to full operating temperature yet. It will hesitate slightly unless I give it some gas, but once the temp climbs to about the 1/4 mark on the gauge it's fine.
Happened a couple times with mine too(13 GT,now at 1750 mi.)

walked_u_hard

Established Member
a tune will be a band aid for this issue, making it better but not fixing the true issue (if its something to do with the pedal assembly or the Throttle Bodie)

my car just threw P2196 P2198 so i dont think im having the same issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread