Help? Finally happened..Blew my motor?

cobra101

Established Member
Well, after 70k miles and no motor/tranny issues. Today, got in and hear a knock from near inside dash area ? Maybe? Is knocking even when in neutral and no clutch. seems to go away at higher rpm. MORE shaking and knocking at lower rpms under load.

Thinking maybe valves? rockers? Hope it isn't too bad Or I will sell the whole darn car for scraps!

Taking it to ford to see if they will give me a free diagnostic/estimate for a fix.

Will post asap.

Arghhhh.... :rolling:

-Cobra101 :rolleyes:

Ps. Car always ran rich so no worries there. Last few weeks my battery light was coming on. I believe it was a loose battery terminal connector. Shouldn't hav:rolling:e anything to do with I don't think? (messed up timing maybe?)

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
And its comming from the motor for sure? Honestly it sounds like a TOB lol. But with those miles I'm sure you know what a TOB sounds like when it goes out. You have 3X's the miles as mine and my cars already ate 3 of um lol. Good luck diagnosing/fixing the car bro!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
At least pull the coil covers off and see if you launched a plug and the knock is the plug and coil bouncing up and down on each compression stroke.

Low voltage will produce a lean condition.

cobra101

Established Member
Wow, all excellent advice. I will check right away (driving my old 73 stang, clunker, in the meantime). Hopefully it is just that. I will check oil levels as well.

Now, low voltage may cause a lean condition... hmmm... maybe the loose battery connector did this? Would I hear detonation? (I've heard that in another car and think I would have heard it hear over a a couple of weeks). MANNN that would suck if I blew my motor due to a loose battery connector! ARGHHHH....

Def not the TOB, had that before.

Hoping it maybe a plug off, that would throw it off for sure I guess.

Will post asap.

Thanks so much for the speedy replies. I needed the advice and support in this time of need. Reallly bumming about it, but I should relax until I Really now what I am dealing with. Ya know, I take this car for granted (its power and reliability) but now I realize what I had :)

-Cobra101

Ps. should know with a few hours about oil level/dislodge plug. @ work now :(

cobra101

Established Member
Ok. Isolated knock to right side near valve covers.

Pulled off 2nd wire from back and instead of the rubber tube that goes down to plug, I saw a copper coil all dangling.

So, I am looking into a replacement plug wire/black plug on the top of wire.

Not sure exactly what i need yet. Do they sell this in singles? simply replace just that end? Or the hole thing needs replacing?

will post pic asap.

thanks much

-Cobra101

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
Its called a Coil on Plug. Yes you can buy just one. Are you saying there is no rubber boot over the spring? Is the sparkplug in the bottom of the hole still threaded into the head?????

cobra101

Established Member
Ok. Final verdict. Went back, pulled rubber tube out of the block. It HAD the spark plug still in the rubber tube. No unscrewing at all. It had blown out, wiggled out over the last 2 years. I belive it it number 7 second from the rear on passenger side. It is one of the more difficult ones to get to. Maybe it wasn't that tight 2 years ago.....

Regardless, the rubber tube part was torn badly (along with the exposed coil and crooked). Bought a new ignition coil at autozone plus a new plug ($45, 2 year warranty LOL), and a new extension for the ratchet. Tried to get the ford part but my local Ford dealer would not answer the phone in the parts department (for over 15 mins). She's Running GREAT. Knocking immediately gone. Back to normal! Did a nice S Fishtail to celebrate. Heard that in the old days, Disconnect one plug only when running and if there is a knock, the bearings may be out of factory spec tolerances. Nothing I am going to worry about at this point.

JB, They had a "tap" for the aluminum heads to re-thread it (poor mans fix) but I rather inspected inside as best as possible with a mirror and flashlight. Looked good enough to try to just re-install. Figured if it is F&^% than I would have to deal with it either way. It went in great. No stripping and it tightened up perfect. I did not over-tighten but it is certainly very snug.

Wow, can't believe it. Never seen or heard of this happening.

Whewww. End of story. Hope the story can help someone else.

Thanks so much for all your quick help. Wow, amazing!

-Cobra101 (Now maybe I should wax it, it's been many years)

Last edited:

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Very common on the 03 heads with few threads to spit these. Glad it didn't strip the head. Check your others and make sure they are all good. You just dodged a large bullet. Go get that baby detailed as a treat. :)

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Ok. Final verdict. Went back, pulled rubber tube out of the block. It HAD the spark plug still in the rubber tube. No unscrewing at all. It had blown out, wiggled out over the last 2 years. I belive it it number 7 second from the rear on passenger side. It is one of the more difficult ones to get to. Maybe it wasn't that tight 2 years ago.....

Regardless, the rubber tube part was torn badly (along with the exposed coil and crooked). Bought a new ignition coil at autozone plus a new plug ($45, 2 year warranty LOL), and a new extension for the ratchet. Tried to get the ford part but my local Ford dealer would not answer the phone in the parts department (for over 15 mins). She's Running GREAT. Knocking immediately gone. Back to normal! Did a nice S Fishtail to celebrate. Heard that in the old days, Disconnect one plug only when running and if there is a knock, the bearings may be out of factory spec tolerances. Nothing I am going to worry about at this point.

JB, They had a "tap" for the aluminum heads to re-thread it (poor mans fix) but I rather inspected inside as best as possible with a mirror and flashlight. Looked good enough to try to just re-install. Figured if it is F&^% than I would have to deal with it either way. It went in great. No stripping and it tightened up perfect. I did not over-tighten but it is certainly very snug.

Wow, can't believe it. Never seen or heard of this happening.

Whewww. End of story. Hope the story can help someone else.

Thanks so much for all your quick help. Wow, amazing!

-Cobra101 (Now maybe I should wax it, it's been many years)
The dreaded Cylinder #7, join the Club! Your RIDICULOUSLY LUCKY your threads are OK, I guess there's a 1 in a 1000 chance and your number came up!

Last edited:

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
Hope you put a little anti seize on the new plug.

Users who are viewing this thread