Help finding a dd for the wife

nate

Established Member
I'm looking for a used car for the wife as we are getting to the point where we need more room. She currently has an Acura TL, so I'd like to keep some of the options we currently have. We've been looking at used Edge's (my idea), and Chrysler minivans (her idea). Our budget is around $20,000, and I want to keep it around 40,000 miles. I'd like something that we can reliably drive to 130,000 miles. Her TL is at 130,000 and its only needed one set of tires, a battery, and brakes lasted to 120,000 miles. Unfortunately my knowledge of family cars ends at the fact that yes you can fit a car seat in the back of a Shelby. Any suggestions from those with either car?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Edit: You need more room.

Since you are in need of room, I think the Chrysler minivan would be the smartest choice.

Last edited:

nate

Established Member
damn bro you get the 14 shelby and she gets a used 20k car sign me up for a wife thats ok with that

Well in my defense I sold my 03 cobra, and she got 2 new cars before I got the Shelby. After the Shelby is paid off we'll get rid of the car we get next and she gets a nicer new car. Just taking turns with the new cars.

hoamskilet

Established Member
Might be a little out of your price range, but I'd give my middle nut for a used Acadia/Enclave

hoamskilet

Established Member
my parents got a 2012 Equinox and I was blown away by how much leg room the back seats had for the size of the vehicle. Pretty nice ride

nate

Established Member
She does like some of the gm crossovers. But after the bailout and bankruptcy that made our gm stock worthless, I just can't make myself by a gm product.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Might be a little out of your price range, but I'd give my middle nut for a used Acadia/Enclave

THIS.

We bought a 14' Acadia for the wife's DD about 4 months ago and have loved it so far. It was a little more than your budget though. When looking used though they seem to really hold there value. It's actually the reason we went with the new one. I was able to buy it for about $1500 more than a new one with the incentives they were running at the time.

We traded a 2011 Equinox for it. Room wise as someone else mentioned they are spacious for small SUV but ours had random motor problems with only 60k on the clock. It'd constantly use / be low on oil and MPG was not that good either for a 4 banger. I researched a lot and it seemed to be a very common problem among them with no really having an explanation as to why. We wanted something bigger so it gave me an excuse to ditch it.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Does she need the full 3 rows of the minivan or will a 2 row midsize SUV work? Id say check out the outgoing 2010-2013 Cadillac SRX. Heard amazing reviews of it and they are priced right in the 20-25k range right now. 3.0L V6 and AWD is an option.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
We bought my wife a fully loaded Jeep Compass back in 2012. The Jeep has been very reliable over the past two years, I think the only problem we had was a bad wheel bearing that was replaced under warranty. We throw some Blizzak's on the car during the winter and it has been unstoppable even during the brutal winter we had this year in the Northeast. She can be kind of a princess sometimes so we made sure it had heated leather seats, Jeep's Uconnect Nav system, sunroof, etc, etc. It has plenty of room without going full mini-van as well. I think we paid around $26K brand new and out the door after some hard negotiating so finding a used one for around $20K is probably doable. GL

Rings

Established Member
My wife had a 06 Acura TL, when she got pregnant she wanted something a little bigger. So, I bought the wife a 13 Nissan murano, it's a great little crossover/SUV. It gets good gas mileage, has plenty of room, is actually comfortable for long trips Okc-Jackson ms & about to go Okc-eureka springs this weekend.

The wife LOVES the murano! It's not too big, but still taller than a car, roomier, AND she feels safe with all the safety features and such. Got her the SL package with 7 miles on it for 29. Leather heated seats front AND back! Just missing navi...

GREAT PURCHASE in our eyes!

sleek98

Established Member
We have a 13 edge SEL, its pretty nice with the car seat in the back I am still comfy up front. We can take 4 people with the car seat if needed. There is quite a bit of room for storage in the back as well. Its a good option if you don't want to go full mini-van.

Side note, I am finishing my basement and was able to get 103 2x4s in the edge, its been a workhorse. Get the v-6 as the ecoboost didn't seem all that great in it.

nate

Established Member
We have a 13 edge SEL, its pretty nice with the car seat in the back I am still comfy up front. We can take 4 people with the car seat if needed. There is quite a bit of room for storage in the back as well. Its a good option if you don't want to go full mini-van.

Side note, I am finishing my basement and was able to get 103 2x4s in the edge, its been a workhorse. Get the v-6 as the ecoboost didn't seem all that great in it.

What kind of gas mileage have you been getting?

nate

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I may check out the gm offerings. I guess since they're used it the money won't be going to gm. :-D

AAG

Established Member
2nd gen Acura MDX. Might have more than 40k miles but imo its the best suv/cuv on the used market.

Users who are viewing this thread