Help me Buy a New Truck

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Definitely go with an Supercab, just for a thousand reasons. Ram is 0% right now and big money back. But in my opinion even money and financing I would go with F150.

My uncle bought a new Chevy a few months back because the price was so much cheaper than a comparable Ford. Fast forward to now and he is kicking himself for not buying a Ford.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I'm on the same page as Sid above. If it is a secondary vehicle then I'd get a 2005-2007 F250 6.0 CCSB that has been well cared for, deleted, and studded. Preferably stock tune or mild tune. It will run forever, pull anything, average 17+ mpg combined, cost around $20k, and will be worth nearly that in 5-8 years if you take care of it.

No need to buy new or even nearly new and take the depreciation hit.

nxhappy

Established Member
Wife and I are in the market for a new truck in the near future. We are considering new only, and the vehicle will be a secondary vehicle. We just bought a new house and cannot make do without a truck any longer.

The only requirements are it has to be 4x4, and it needs a large bed. I personally do not care if its 2 door or 4 door, or what make it is. Also, I need it to tow at least 6,000 lbs. We are looking to spend around $30,000.

I know very little about trucks, but we have been eyeing the new Ram 1500s. Any suggestions/information? Thanks ahead of time.
30 grand is pretty skimpy for a 4x4 budget. If you want a newer one anyway. IMO the F150 ecoboost is the best gas option. If you go down that road stick with 2015 or 2016, the older EB motors had issues.

nxhappy

Established Member
I had a Ram rental recently. Tow a Mustang with it. I was not impressed with the 5.7 Hemi. I had a 2.7 F-150 that felt stronger towing a heavier trailer. The 2.7 is no joke.

yeah the EB motor is powerful. And with a tune even better.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
My uncle bought a new Chevy a few months back because the price was so much cheaper than a comparable Ford. Fast forward to now and he is kicking himself for not buying a Ford.
Oh course he did. Chevy's are for chicks and guys that listen to tractor rap. They're aren't even a consideration if you use your truck to do truck stuff.

P.S I know 3 people with Rams. 2 have never had any problems, and 1 who had nothing but. It seems if you get a good one it's golden but if you get a bad one it never ends

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Great truck if you never want to have to work on your truck. For that price I'd be tempted to buy a 6.0 and stud/delete/tune it to get some more power and fuel mileage over the 7.3 though.

It's the hand shaker that makes that truck. The 5R110 behind a 6.0/6.4 is good enough to make the manual obsolete as pretty much anything but a novelty/nostalgia item. I'm a sucker for nostalgia sometime though. :D

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

fireman02

Established Member
I feel any of the newer trucks are good options now days. This being a ford site, you're going to get mostly pro ford truck opinions. I think the new F-150's look great, however I've been warned by a friend in the auto repair industry that the newer aluminum F-150's are having corrosion issues. Regardless go drive any of the trucks you're considering and see what fits you best.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Just bought this 2016 crew cab XLT, dealer courtesy with 3,000 miles, 3.5TT max tow package, msrp 50k for 36.6k & 500 free dealer installed accessories. The deals are out there, just have to pay attention.

6afc4d6b89124f5ebf56bf70e2d1660b_zpsqaqeu0iy.jpg

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Thanks for all the replies. I definitely hear everyone on the F150. We would love to raise the budget to 40k, but its hard to justify that for a 3rd vehicle. If its not around 30k (obviously I know its going to be more after taxes/tags), its just not going to happen. Even with all the RAM 1500 issues noted, why can't I just buy the lifetime warranty for 2k and then I never have to worry about it if it breaks?

Honestly, Ill be lucky to put 5k miles a year on this truck. We're pretty stuck on buying new. I'm going to take the advice and drive all the big 3 (Ram/F150/Silverado). As long as the price is right, we will go with whatever we like the most.

_Snake_

Established Member
I'm on the same page as Sid above. If it is a secondary vehicle then I'd get a 2005-2007 F250 6.0 CCSB that has been well cared for, deleted, and studded. Preferably stock tune or mild tune. It will run forever, pull anything, average 17+ mpg combined, cost around $20k, and will be worth nearly that in 5-8 years if you take care of it.

May as well just buy a boat. Or throw his money into a hole.

The 6.0 Powerstroke would be almost at dead last on my list.

Edit - after reading about it being used 5k mi/year, the 6.0 has taken over the bottom spot. They don't do well when they sit.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I feel any of the newer trucks are good options now days. This being a ford site, you're going to get mostly pro ford truck opinions. I think the new F-150's look great, however I've been warned by a friend in the auto repair industry that the newer aluminum F-150's are having corrosion issues. Regardless go drive any of the trucks you're considering and see what fits you best.
This is my concern with the aluminum. How hard is it to repair it?

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Just bought this 2016 crew cab XLT, dealer courtesy with 3,000 miles, 3.5TT max tow package, msrp 50k for 36.6k & 500 free dealer installed accessories. The deals are out there, just have to pay attention.

6afc4d6b89124f5ebf56bf70e2d1660b_zpsqaqeu0iy.jpg

Thats a hell of a deal. Id probably swing for that if I saw something similar, even though its little over the budget. Game plan is to start test driving them first week of April. We're about to head out on vacation soon, then the big renovation starts on the new house. That is why we need the truck, so we will hopefully be purchasing it before then.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I would go for a lightly used (sub 10k miles), 2012-2013 supercrew 5.0v8 4x4 F150.

Had one and LOVED it. Drove a comparable Chevy and it felt like I was driving a bean bag. Drove a comparable Tundra and it felt like a wagon.

If I get a truck again, it will be a Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread