Help me find a new daily driver, got 30k to spend

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback fully loaded can be had for less than that. I love my 2012 and since you require an AUTO you can't get an ST. great gas mileage, good looking, all the bells and whistles you want, leather, good quality construction ... and it is American made

So its time for a new daily driver. Easy decision, right? Mustang GT or something equivalent. Unfortunately its not that easy for me this time. This car will be a family car shared by my wife and I. That means two things, it will have to have an automatic transmission and it will have to have two side doors too many. With that said, the car must be a new car, must be a car or car-like crossover, and the only other limitation is that I only can spend $30k max.
With these things taken into account I have found myself very limited because I would like to have a sedan that either has great performance or that is geared toward luxury (or as much as 30 grand can buy anyway). I hate Toyota Camrys, Honda Accords, and absolutely boring people movers like that.
So far two cars I am considering (although I know neither is anything too great but better than alot of the others) are the Chrysler 200S (quiet interior, semi-luxury interior, powerful engine w/good acceleration) and the Nissan Juke Nismo (ugly but looks "special", decent handling).

Have any other suggestions of vehicles that might not make me feel too miserable to drive?

Jtaugner

Established Member
Evo X MR. Dual clutch transmission and very quick, plus it's very safe if you are carrying a small family.

Starting price is $8,000 over his budget.

How much do you/wife care about MPG?

What about a VW Passat TDI? You can get damn near a fully loaded one for $29k and be getting 30/40 mpg. Co-Worker got one and the thing is pretty impressive, interior is very nice.

The Charger is going to be the best performer you can buy new for the price. For $30k you can get either the Blacktop Package or Daytona. Personally being a Mopar fan I'd get the Charger R/T with Blacktop Package, Nav and Driver Confidence Group for $30,775 and call it a day.

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
How many times has this guy posted he wants a NEW car...yet people post G8s (havnt been made in 4 years!) and 05-10 M5s (check out the cost to replace SMG pump!).

AND people post Mustang GT's and Subaru BRZs. He NEEDs a 4door.

The answers are simple:

Ford Fusion SE Ecoboost.
Ford Taurus SEL
Dodge Charger
Acura TSX

All can be had for under $30k

What this guy said. Find a G8 GXP. Or settle for a GT or BRZ if you can't find one.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
Give the Charger R/T / 300C a shot. You will be hard pressed to find a car that rides better than a Charger or 300 for the money. Interior is extremely comfortable. Even the Pentastar v6 is quick.. 290hp, wraps out close to 7,000rpm, 8 speed. 31 mpg in a 4,200 pound car is pretty damn good! :rockon:

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
Thanks to all of your suggestions, these are also now on my consideration list:
- Hyundai Genesis sedan (seems like the most luxurious thing within my price range)
- Dodge Charger R/T (370HP is nice)
- BMW 320i (i think i could negotiate a low optioned model down to my price range)
- Kia Optima Turbo SX (unless it can impress the heck out of me in a test drive, I won't get it, but i'll give it a shot)
- Mercedes CLA (if I can wait until the fall, not sure I can)

vortecd

Established Member
I guess it depends on how much performance you want. Just a normal daily the '13 Fusion's are cool looking. Something with a little go, a hemi Charger.

boatcop1

Established Member
Thanks to all of your suggestions, these are also now on my consideration list:
- Hyundai Genesis sedan (seems like the most luxurious thing within my price range)
- Dodge Charger R/T (370HP is nice)
- BMW 320i (i think i could negotiate a low optioned model down to my price range)
- Kia Optima Turbo SX (unless it can impress the heck out of me in a test drive, I won't get it, but i'll give it a shot)
- Mercedes CLA (if I can wait until the fall, not sure I can)

I think that Optima will amaze you with its construction, waranty, power and MPG. Tough to beat for sub 30G.

I know a lot of people think the Chargers are pigs but I still love them.

I had a 11 turbo Sonata limited and really it was a great car, especially the 13-14's.

Given your criteria considering your family will be in this car alot this would be my list, also all of these are 30+ mpg hwy and imo none of them are uber dull people movers.

13 Volvo S60 is a sick ride imo and can probably had in your price range with some negotiating.

14 Mazda 6 Grand Touring with sky active looks nice after the overhaul.

13 Buick Regal Premium is a nice ride and I'm sure you may even be able to step up to the turbo premium for 30G OTD.

13/14 Acura TSX is a tried and true option right in your wheelhouse.

13 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL. Much better than the Altima's of the past imo.

14 Audi A3 6spd S tronic 6spd auto quattro AWD.

14 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ. My buddy has one loaded loaded and i've driven it a few times, very well put together car. 26ish loaded!

13/14 Chrysler 300.

14 Mercedes CLA, Not enough info really but it is a possibility.

14 Ford Taurus

14 Ford Fusion Hybred (nothing wrong with 47mpgs)

14 VW CC.

best of your luck during your hunt. I love car shopping.

:beer:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
$25k 2013 Kia Optima turbo=fwd/ turbo
$28k 2013 Subaru Legacy 3.6R=flat 6/ auto/ awd
$29k 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralli Art turbo(NON EVO)=4wd/ turbo/ auto

all are tons of fun, good reliability and have 4 doors. I would personally grab the optima turbo with every option.

boatcop1

Established Member
where in the hell do you guys come up with the prices? used turbo optimas go for 25k

Depends on your market. I bought my turbo Sonata with every option for 28 and change OTD.

I could go to the local Kia dealer here and do the same all day.

The contrast is they're essentially the same car.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
New Turbo Beetle that 2.0 is stout.

Hell yeah.

photo22.jpg

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
I think that Optima will amaze you with its construction, waranty, power and MPG. Tough to beat for sub 30G.

I know a lot of people think the Chargers are pigs but I still love them.

I had a 11 turbo Sonata limited and really it was a great car, especially the 13-14's.

Given your criteria considering your family will be in this car alot this would be my list, also all of these are 30+ mpg hwy and imo none of them are uber dull people movers.

13 Volvo S60 is a sick ride imo and can probably had in your price range with some negotiating.

14 Mazda 6 Grand Touring with sky active looks nice after the overhaul.

13 Buick Regal Premium is a nice ride and I'm sure you may even be able to step up to the turbo premium for 30G OTD.

13/14 Acura TSX is a tried and true option right in your wheelhouse.

13 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL. Much better than the Altima's of the past imo.

14 Audi A3 6spd S tronic 6spd auto quattro AWD.

14 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ. My buddy has one loaded loaded and i've driven it a few times, very well put together car. 26ish loaded!

13/14 Chrysler 300.

14 Mercedes CLA, Not enough info really but it is a possibility.

14 Ford Taurus

14 Ford Fusion Hybred (nothing wrong with 47mpgs)

14 VW CC.

best of your luck during your hunt. I love car shopping.

:beer:

Wow, that's a good list to look through. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread