Help me with Challenger, N.A guys are funny

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So you think there are a lot of HC buyers that are in at 16 mpg but not buying if it gets 15 mpg? I don't.
I think thr EPA just raped FCA for $185 million for failing to meet CAFE MPG standards.... So yeah, that 1mpg makes a huge difference to them.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I think thr EPA just raped FCA for $185 million for failing to meet CAFE MPG standards.... So yeah, that 1mpg makes a huge difference to them.

Do they have delorean and went back to 2015 to tell the HC engineers to slap tiny tires on to avoid a fine in 2019? Trying to follow your logic here.

I am on my phone but would bet EPA has to do with trucks not the 20k HCs they have built in the last 4 years. Also, I could be mistaken but I believe the auto gets good enough mileage to avoid guzzler tax. I know this the case in the 392.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Do they have delorean and went back to 2015 to tell the HC engineers to slap tiny tires on to avoid a fine in 2019? Trying to follow your logic here.

I am on my phone but would bet EPA has to do with trucks not the 20k HCs they have built in the last 4 years. Also, I could be mistaken but I believe the auto gets good enough mileage to avoid guzzler tax. I know this the case in the 392.
There is a reason Jeep has exploded in value to FCA. Thats where the Compass and Renegade 4 bangers are doing what they can to offset the trucks. If you noticed, Dodge and Chrysler have nothing for small 4 banger cars. FCA brand shut down the failure that was the 200/Dart. But you put a Grand Cherokee lookin body on it, or a funky off roady looking box on it and they'll sell an assload.

My lady's father just bought a 2018 Jeep Compass this past fall. I tried everything I could to get him into a Ford,Toyota or Honda but he wanted that Compass. He REALLY wanted that Grand Cherokee, but he doesnt have that kind of cash. Even the base Cherokee was out of his range, but its essentially the same vehicle as the Compass/Renegade.

I just dont trust that Multiair Fiat 4 banger.... not my cash though.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
For shiz. After reading about how dodge ****ed up the Apache motor it is HC or no car. They could have killed with that motor but blew it.

They dont handle boost well in stock form from what i read. Im no apache expert though lol.

I always planned to boost my next purchase and i cross shopped all three companies.. Camaro, Mustang, Challenger.

Youve already got a GT500. I might go for a 1LE SS Camaro with a manual. That'd be fun.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Youve already got a GT500. I might go for a 1LE SS Camaro with a manual. That'd be fun.

I like that line of thinking. Z28s and ZL1s too. I am going to take my time in decision making to make sure I get what I want. I will say there is something about the look of the challenger that turns me on though.

FJohnny

Established Member
You have the SUV hauler/winter car.
You have the crazy powerful GT500.

Have you ever driven an Audi TT RS? Go Kart with AWD that can double as winter car in a pinch.

Only downside is people think you're driving your wife's car.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Only downside is people think you're driving your wife's car.

You answered your own question.

Also, having played with German cars in the past I have no interest paying the asshole tax.

I am sure they are crazy fun though. RS3 is no joke either.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I like that line of thinking. Z28s and ZL1s too. I am going to take my time in decision making to make sure I get what I want. I will say there is something about the look of the challenger that turns me on though.

Agree 100%. I do like the challenger body.. a lot.

I also LOVE the z28. I almost pulled the trigger on a NEW left over a year and a half ago. Probably should have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

No, cars and trucks are seporate catagories. 8spd HC still has a $1,700 gas guzzle tax which is independent of any CAFE fines. The fines being charged to FCA in 2018 are for performance in 2016.

$77 million was fined in 2018 for missing thr 2016 fleet numbers.

I'm 2012 it was 31mpg, for 2016 it raised to 35mpg.

With a line up of Charger, Challenger, 300C and Journay..... There is no way that fleet is averaging 35mpg.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
No, cars and trucks are seporate catagories. 8spd HC still has a $1,700 gas guzzle tax which is independent of any CAFE fines. The fines being charged to FCA in 2018 are for performance in 2016.

$77 million was fined in 2018 for missing thr 2016 fleet numbers.

I'm 2012 it was 31mpg, for 2016 it raised to 35mpg.

With a line up of Charger, Challenger, 300C and Journay..... There is no way that fleet is averaging 35mpg.

Right. But the topic at hand is the skinny ass tires on the HC, which you seem to think make or break Chrysler fleet MPG. Annual challenger sales are 67k on total FCA sales of 2.2M. I think it is more likely that they are ****ing morons for putting 275s on the back of the HC than it is part of some master plan to manage fleet MPG, which they have proven themselves incapable of managing as evidenced by the EPA fine.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Right. But the topic at hand is the skinny ass tires on the HC, which you seem to think make or break Chrysler fleet MPG. Annual challenger sales are 67k on total FCA sales of 2.2M. I think it is more likely that they are ****ing morons for putting 275s on the back of the HC than it is part of some master plan to manage fleet MPG, which they have proven themselves incapable of managing as evidenced by the EPA fine.
Fine could be worse. They certainly did not put them on there because "Herpa Derp 275 will hook fine", and since it's a $80k, I doubt it was to save $150.

So WTF is your point? You gonna run 10 year old factory tires forever? You can afford a $45k used car but can't buy some damn new tires?..

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
You gonna run 10 year old factory tires forever? You can afford a $45k used car but can't buy some damn new tires?..

I am not looking at MY 2009 HCs, so no I will not be running 10 year old tires. I guess if you read my initial post you would note that first thing I would do is put some 305s in back.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member

The other thing you seem to not know was the whole lets throw the HC engine into everything we have. Which was moronic to say the least, sure FCA got headlines and was the cool topic to vehicle enthusiast but in the end it hurt them big time and it is only going to get worse for them the more time passes. Hence the main cause of the EPA coming down hard on them. What they needed to do was just keep the Challenger, Charger, and Jeep GC as SRT and HC models and bring out an actual cheap car that people would want so as to get young first time buyers in the show room. And totally forget about their internally over hyped Demon and Trackhawks. I mean there is I think almost 2000+ 2018 Trackhawks on dealer lots unsold with almost $15,000 off of the price.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Instead of 6 pages of back and forth I would suggest you go drive the Chally's you are interested in then make your decision.

Was in Cali for the weekend and rented one for 10 days. It was only the 5.7 but I liked it. Very comfy interior, great size, handled fine for my purposes. On paper I know these are pigs but I didn't really feel it while driving. Brakes are impressive, A8 is very good. Now I am torn b/w HC and SRT 392. Anyone have one or the other that regrets not having the other for DD?

noco5.0

Established Member
The other thing you seem to not know was the whole lets throw the HC engine into everything we have. Which was moronic to say the least, sure FCA got headlines and was the cool topic to vehicle enthusiast but in the end it hurt them big time and it is only going to get worse for them the more time passes. Hence the main cause of the EPA coming down hard on them. What they needed to do was just keep the Challenger, Charger, and Jeep GC as SRT and HC models and bring out an actual cheap car that people would want so as to get young first time buyers in the show room. And totally forget about their internally over hyped Demon and Trackhawks. I mean there is I think almost 2000+ 2018 Trackhawks on dealer lots unsold with almost $15,000 off of the price.

The Trackhawk seems like an epic failure not because it's not a cool vehicle but they priced it completely wrong. Even with big discounts they are still pushing 80k+. I would love to own a Trackhawk, but just can't see spending that kind of money on one. Between my loaded Explorer Sport and Challenger Hellcat I don't have much more in them than a Trackhawk even with the big discounts. Can't wait until they take the huge depreciation hit though I will definitely pick up a used one in a few years to go with my Hellcat.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Between my loaded Explorer Sport and Challenger Hellcat

For DD do you think I will regret choosing 392 over Hellcat? I have a built gt500 already. I can afford the Hellcat but not sure I need the additional power for street driving. But maybe I would rather have it and not use it?

Users who are viewing this thread