ZincYellah

Hey guys, I'm in quite a pickle. I picked up a 2003 Mach 1 for $9k ($10k after taxes/brakes/headlights) that had 106k miles on the shell and 35k miles on a Jasper crate engine. I was on the highway the other night when the Jasper decided to spin a bearing at 112k miles. 3 months out of warranty, Jasper told me to go screw myself. Drained the oil, found shavings in the drain container and shavings in the oil pan itself. Should I even bother with a rebuild or should I go for a remanned engine? I don't have a huge amount of money to play with but I'm looking for something that will meet or exceed the factory engine's performance.
Thanks!

Mattstang04

Established Member
Sorry to hear that man. Rought patch of luck. Ultimately the choice is going to be up to you.

Theres no cheap way of fixing a blown engine. Best you can do is start making phone calls. Price a rebuild thru local parts stores, then thru ford. Then price the cost of a rebuild thru a couple shops. Finally weigh those against the cost of DSs or MMR built engine packages. The money versus preformance angle of this situation is the same as always. Better preformance equals higher price tag.

Maybe get a rebuild as low as you can right now just to get the car rolling. If you can afford it, keep the core engine and build it strong later. When you have the funds.

If you're set on rebuilding the current engine, throw in good rods and pistons while you're at it. In that situation it seems worth while to go ahead and spend the extra dough for good parts.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you had a rough estimate for your budget along with any future power goals it would help.

You may be able to take the current motor to a reputable shop and have it rebuilt just fine depending on severity of the damage.

ZincYellah

if you had a rough estimate for your budget along with any future power goals it would help.

You may be able to take the current motor to a reputable shop and have it rebuilt just fine depending on severity of the damage.

The motor went on the highway after downshifting to pass a truck (did not over rev) and I threw it in neutral and rolled it off the highway around 1/4 mile from where it happened, keeping it under 1k rpm when I needed to use the engine to limp up the ramp. Car was then trailered.
For now, I'm looking for essentially a factory-spec replacement. I'm trying to pay ~3000, give or a take a few hundred. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with the car at this point, I might port and polish the top end and put the older SVT cams in the vehicle once funding permits it in the future. Do you have a rough estimate as to what a shop would charge to build a longblock (or shortblock if my top end winds up being OK)?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Keep the block and crank buy some 03 cobra rods take outs, buy a set of pistons have it assembled. Way better than stock and on a budget

Users who are viewing this thread