Help: Neighborhood car break-ins-Security info needed

rust0r

Established Member
Hopefully someone can provide some help/tips on this problem.

In the past we've had some teenage kids going house to house checking all of the cars to see if they are locked, neighbors have been getting change, etc stolen from their cars. My doors are always locked, it's not that I'm concerned about. I don't keep anything valuable in my car for that reason. However, I also don't need some stranger coming up and touching my car.

My house is situated on a corner spot. I see again today, foot prints (we have a fair amount of snow) coming straight up from my sidewalk along my fence, then straight back down and around the fence again, clearly someone is walking straight up from the sidewalk to my car and back down to where they came from. Seems to be from what I can tell, someone is making a deliberate trip to come check out my car and then heads back to where they came from, otherwise given how my house/yard is situations, they would just cut across my grass the other way and carry on their walk.

What can you guys suggest I do about this? I obviously can't sit up all night and hope that he comes by, it's done randomly throughout the night at random periods, might not have anything for weeks, then it happens twice in a week.

To come up to my car, there is about a 20 foot width you walk up on from my side yard and ultimately up to my carport (passing between my fence and a large tree). It's a carport, so there is a roof/ceiling as well.

What security type things can I setup. I don't really care to spend $500 for a camera and such. I would prefer something that will be loud, shine light, and make him think twice before coming back to my car. Sort of a "I am aware this is happening" type alarm. Any ideas are welcome, I want to stop this before something else happens (smashed window, etc).

Thanks guys and gals!

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Put up a sign that says you're watching them and you know they are looking into cars. If they know someone is onto them, they might think twice.

It's the cheapest suggestion I can come up with, other than staying up and watching for them. That and call the polizei.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would install a motion sensor light that will light up the whole area (get a bright lamp) when motion is detected. That might deter the person since they would be visible when the light goes on, and they won't know if you're looking out the window or not. Next step would be a security camera but that can be expensive.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I would install a motion sensor light that will light up the whole area (get a bright lamp) when motion is detected. That might deter the person since they would be visible when the light goes on, and they won't know if you're looking out the window or not. Next step would be a security camera but that can be expensive.

+1 on this. Do a motion detector light. You will want it anyways if you ever add a camera in the future. Ive even seen a motion detector flood light with camera built in at like Sam's- was around 100 bucks or less.
You could even buy a deer/hunting tree camera and mount it on house. It would record to a sd card. Nothing fancy but would get a decent pic of who is doing it esp if the flood light is on. other wise relying on IR would be black and white and Im sure grainy.

wvmystichrome

Established Member

My idea also. Small price to pay if you keep them out of your vehicles.

mustangsally1

Established Member
This happend in my neighborhood. We asked the police to patrol the area a few times a night. We have not had anything since. A friend stuck their dog in the car a few nights with the window cracked but we are in florida, don't advise that in the snow. He opened his house window so he could hear the dog bark, between the dog and the police one of those helped. I had a 05 mustang at the time and of course my doors were not locked and they took everything out of my glove box and dumped it all over my seats. I felt so violated. Oh well.

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
camera system, light, as well as keeping all property with any value out of sight. Another idea is to get with your neighbors and start keeping track of anyone new walking through your neighborhood that your normally don't see and possibly getting the police involved requesting extra patrols

oldmodman

Established Member
Booby trap.

Sheet of plywood on the ground right next to the car doors. With lots of nails facing point up. Then cover it with snow.
Regular footprints going up to your car.
Red ones leaving.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Booby trap.

Sheet of plywood on the ground right next to the car doors. With lots of nails facing point up. Then cover it with snow.
Red ones leaving.

lmfao at this and the dog left in the car :lol:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member

Let me second the suggestion of lights. I have Mercury and Sodium vapor lights around my driveway and garage, high up. Others have been broken into, but not my house. (I also have a sign that says: "Beware large, mean, hungry dog and large, mean, armed owner")

You can also buy much less expensive fake camera housings, with only a red LED. Would-be thieves think there's surveillance and look for easier pickings.

Any really good surveillance / alarm systems are double-blind anyway: obvious and easy to defeat fake sensors, but hidden real ones.

TermNewb

Banned
Booby trap.

Red ones leaving.

now thats what I call badass. I would feel so proud if I set that up and it actually worked.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Gee officer. I was doing some construction, then it started to snow so I went inside to watch the game:shrug:

:lol:

"Good enough sir, have a good night" :lol1:

"wait...how the hell do I get out of here without stepping in booby traps?"

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
If you get a chance, take some good pictures of the footprints, preferably with the tread pattern of their shoe. If the cops catch potential suspects, they might be able to identify the perp by their shoe size / type.

Apparently, examining footprints is a tactic that some investigators use for home break-ins.

rust0r

Established Member
Some really good suggestions here, I REALLY like oldmodman's suggestion. With my luck, I would end up forgetting about it in a rush one day and step on it myself LOL.

I do like Ford_Racer's idea, I thought of a sign inside my window "I see you asshole, come back again and I'm calling the cops"; my old fear with the sign is that someone will be cocky and decide to key my car thinking I'm "testing their manhood" type BS.

I think the light idea is the best for now, it would scare me away if I was trying to jimmy and pry (though people who do this sort of shit obviously lack common sense). I've even started leaving the outside light on, as an attempt to brighten up the area the whole time.

I was thinking of some jimmy-rid with one of those window sensors on it, sort of when someone walks up that way it sets it off, but I'm sure the squirrels in my area would make a game of it.

Thanks for the suggestions, it sucks that we can't have nice things and not worry about the stupid shit

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
Oh, damn, I should have thought of this earlier.......

[youtube_browser]RxBa5bQfTGc[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread