Help on Michelin tires

svt 500

Established Member
I've read so many post I'm not sure what the latest correct info is anymore. Keeping the stock pp wheels, what size front and rear tire should I be getting? I've read the stock size in michelin is smaller than the gy for the front and the rear 'ferrari' tire is actually bigger ect ect. What sizes do I need to make it right?

Ky GT500

Established Member
295/35/20 (105Y) Ferrari for rear
275/40/19 (105Y) for the front

These on stock PP wheels.

Last edited:

svt 500

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'll check it out. Which place did you find the best deal? I'll check out Discount Tire and Tire Rack.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
285 is the widest Michelin recommends for our stock (9.5") rear rims. 265 or 275 are fine up front. All of that said, it's clear a number of users are happy with 295s on stock rims. In the end, you need to decide what you're comfortable with...

ArabianOak

Established Member
I just put the 295 105Y Ferrari on the rear of my GT500 on stock rims...look GREAT and be ready for a million times more grip!

Ky GT500

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'll check it out. Which place did you find the best deal? I'll check out Discount Tire and Tire Rack.

Tire Discounters are within $60 of what I can get them through Tire Rack,,,TD includes lifetime balance and front end alignment.

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
Discount tire direct had the best prices for mine.

Wishing I would have gone with a drag radial though.... even though would have meant not going as wide of a tire as I wanted (widened Alcoa's running 335's)
Easily twice as good as stockers though

tw0scoops

Established Member
I managed to pry out of one company who I do biz with, that the 295s will fit, but it will be a stretch. I think you'll sacrifice certain qualities for more grip, which I think most of us are fine with.

Still baffles me why Ford couldn't slap a 10 inch wheel on the rear which would have fit these tires perfectly. Not like you could rotate the wheels on a GT500 since they're diff diameters anyway.

BTw, do you guys think the fact that the GoodYears are runflats and have an internal structure hurt straightline traction? I'd think that tires that have softer sidewalls would be better....

Last edited:

svt 500

Established Member
I managed to pry out of one company who I do biz with, that the 295s will fit, but it will be a stretch. I think you'll sacrifice certain qualities for more grip, which I think most of us are fine with.

Still baffles me why Ford couldn't slap a 10 inch wheel on the rear which would have fit these tires perfectly. Not like you could rotate the wheels on a GT500 since they're diff diameters anyway.

BTw, do you guys think the fact that the GoodYears are runflats and have an internal structure hurt straightline traction? I'd think that tires that have softer sidewalls would be better....

This is why they went with the 285. SVTPerformance.com : Why the 2013 GT500 has 285 Rear Tires - YouTube

Spudz

Established Member
just as an added note, I have 295 101ys on my rear tires, as opposed to 105ys, and they work just fine and are decidedly beefy. I'm not sure what all difference the higher load rating makes in terms of fitment and what have you. My local tire guy recommended not getting the 105s and I listened, but clearly I could've gotten away with it from what others have said.

_Satch_

Established Member
http://s769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/_Satch_/?action=view&current=TireComparison_zpsa416098d.jpg[/IMG]
This is a little spreadsheet I made to compare the Original Goodyears to the Michelins. All the data is from the Tirerack. I decided to go with the ones highlit in green. The rears are not as wide as the K1 Ferrari because some of the images I saw looked a little balloony, so I decided to go a little narrower. Hope the image shows. It's my first time posting one.
Satch

Last edited:

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member

:read: Factory tires are NOT runflats

tw0scoops

Established Member
Not sure where I got runflats from...must have read an old article at some point that was off base.

Last edited:

BahnRunner

Established Member

Sure are a lot of ''uhs'' and ''ums'' in that explanation. Chevrolet seems to be having great results with the beefy rubbers on the Z/28 and it is running 305s on all four corners, pretty sure the GT500 would have benefited greatly from wider shoes as well. I mean, most folks are switching to wider tires anyway to remedy traction and handling issues.

Snoopy49

Established Member
This is a little spreadsheet I made to compare the Original Goodyears to the Michelins. All the data is from the Tirerack. I decided to go with the ones highlit in green. The rears are not as wide as the K1 Ferrari because some of the images I saw looked a little balloony, so I decided to go a little narrower. Hope the image shows. It's my first time posting one.
Satch

TireComparison_zpsa416098d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread