help will my cobra be ok to drive home with out tune!

Termin8You

Established Member
Getting full exhust put on my car tomorrow ..
Recently put jlt rai,heat exchanger ,2.70 pulley and idlers,Ngk tr6 plugs,Accufab throttle body and plenum .. Tuner am using is not available till next week .. Or should I tow it home ?
Car currently has no tune and was stock till about a month ago I started putting parts on it .. Headers are a bit to much for me to handle so am taking it to get done..

MG0h3

Established Member
Interested in the answer as well but I drove my turbo fox body like 125 miles to the tuner. Drove fine I just never got into boost. I wouldn't have cruised around in it though. Just drove for a tune.

If you just need to get it home I say you'll be fine

MG0h3

Established Member
Hey! I hope you're gonna sit there while they do the exhaust. I can almost guarantee they'll want to rev the S out of it or beat it up and down the street. That's what I would worry about

Zemedici

Established Member
I would be very very leery about driving the car with a swapped upper pulley. One 'oops' on the gas pedal with changing boost levels without adjusting fuel trims accordingly could be bad news. I'd tow it if you could. Or just park it until you can get a remote tune to drive it to the tuner.

Woody6799

Established Member
If you can do it without hitting boost than go for it. When I put long tubes on and swapped the Eaton for a TVS i drove it to the Tuner 45 minutes away without a problem. I was just very, very, extra stressing the word very here.... gentle with her.

Termin8You

Established Member
No same maf and has no tune at all I have a sct tuner on my raptor I could pull the tune and use it to drive would that help?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Only 30 min drive from house to shop for header install and back home another 30min

Def don't hook up the Raptor's tuner. You may or may not peg your stock maf. I would order a 2600 maf, but drive it there with the stock maf, then switch it out there. If you get there and peg your stock maf, you will be stuck as far as getting a good tune. Another tip - setup your boost bypass to run off straight vac\boost without the solenoid. There are tutorials floating around. If I'm remembering correctly you will need to have your tuner delete the solenoid in the tune to avoid a CEL.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Jesus, relax! Stay the hell outta boost like the other guys said. Much reading needs to be done by you. I'm not being a dick, but we've seen this before.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Simple answer. Drive it like your 85 year old grandma would drive it and you'll be fine. Or, pretend there is a raw egg taped to the gas pedal and if you break the egg you'll forfeit your Cobra. :)

badjuicedgt

Established Member
instructions 1 fill cup with coffee,water or any other liquid you like with as much as you can get in the cup,2 open door of car 3 sit in seat 4 put cup in cup holder 5 put on seat belt 6 insert key and start car 7 check gauges 8 put in gear and start forward motion 9 do not let a drop come out of the cup if you do your driving to fast and possible hurting your motor,After your done getting your exhaust on repeat all steps to go home. If anyone else would like to add or correct feel free,but I think if you follow these you car with still be ok after you get back home from getting your exhaust done.

If you want to go to extremes you can put scolding hot water in the cup and just set it between your legs with no pants on and well if you push on the gas to hard you will know.

Last edited:

Lycosa

Established Member
instructions 1 fill cup with coffee,water or any other liquid you like with as much as you can get in the cup,2 open door of car 3 sit in seat 4 put cup in cup holder 5 put on seat belt 6 insert key and start car 7 check gauges 8 put in gear and start forward motion 9 do not let a drop come out of the cup if you do your driving to fast and possible hurting your motor,After your done getting your exhaust on repeat all steps to go home. If anyone else would like to add or correct feel free,but I think if you follow these you car with still be ok after you get back home from getting your exhaust done.

If you want to go to extremes you can put scolding hot water in the cup and just set it between your legs with no pants on and well if you push on the gas to hard you will know.

I live in a place with really bad roads so that definitely wouldn't work for me lol

Users who are viewing this thread