Herman's anti hop shock users in here please.

jordanvraptor

Established Member
I bought a pair of Horsepower by Herman's anti hop shocks. Well, I recieved them missing the top mounting bushings and nuts. No problem, Herman sent em off to me next day air. OK got those, but did these come with dust cover boots?

Another thing is why doesn't the inside diameter of the shock's lower mounting point match the inside diameter of where it bolts into the A arm? Herman gives you a new bolt and washers and lock nut but the bolt is so loose in the mount it rattles around in there. They are tightened down but it doesn't seem right to me. There are no markings on the shocks so I don't even know if these are for a 2003 Cobra.

On top of all this, it hops just as bad if not worse than before on the maximum anti hop setting.

Left a mesage on Herman's machine but no call back. I'll try again tomorrow but hoping others who have these can tell me if the different size mounting is normal.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
the 1/2" hardware sounds like it's not tight enough

take it to a shop that has air tools to tighten the lower bolts, you can't use hand tools for this, it will move around if it isn't tight ...we have over a hundred sets of these out in use with very happy customer feedback !! ...i am away till monday, having surgury tomorrow...but james and jim will be there and are happy to help if you need assistance:beer:

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by jordanvraptor
On top of all this, it hops just as bad if not worse than before on the maximum anti hop setting.
Hmm, something is wrong then. On my car it didn't eliminate the hop, but it did noticeably reduce the hop.

Nothing rattled on mine. And no dust boot.

jordanvraptor

Established Member
Well by rattling I meant that the new bolt is smaller than the old one. Once it is tightened down there is no rattling. I think installing them with the air tools might make up the difference. But, I think I'm gonna try and find some kind of sleeve to tighten up the fit between the new bolt and the hole in the A arm though.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
I'm surprised to hear this.

I have these shocks. When I was researching which ones I was going to purchase, I called and traded a few messages with HP by H. The customer service was excellent.

The shocks alone did not eliminate the hop. - just drastically reduced it and made it a whole lot less 'violent'. You'll 'need' to add some better bushings, and sticky tires, to reduce/eliminate the wheel hop.

Don't give up... I'm sure that they'll take care of you.

BTW: I did have to use an impact wrench to install my shocks.

Good Luck!

jordanvraptor

Established Member
I have IRS and diff bushings and subframes and I even demodded it to stock power level and it still hops. I don't like the idea of just putting that lower mount on hella tight to keep it from slipping around. I'm going to find a way to fill the gap with a sleeve of some kind.

You can't use the factory bolt and nut because the lower mount on the HBH shocks are smaller in size than the stock Bilstein shocks. This is what led me to think that they sent me the wrong part.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jordan, my best advise is for you to work with Hermann. It seems like you're trying to hard to try to figure it out yourself when he has offered his shop's assistance to you. :)

I too have these, and found that they reduced hop a great deal, but not totally. One complaint I have though is that when I travel over a bumpy surface at low speeds, I now hear a clunking sound from the shock tower areas. Could this be from the lower bolts not being tightned enough? I did not use air tools but tightened them by hand with a breaker bar pretty damn tight.

jordanvraptor

Established Member
I would post pics but the car is at the dealer getting some issues taken care of. HBH called me today and basically told me that lower mount has to be super tight. Fine, I just made some sleeves that will make up the difference in between the new bolt and the A arm hole. HBH said they are working on a bushing to take up the slack as well. Unfortunately I have to remove the shock to install the correct top mount bushings and then reinstall it all over again. I'm going to wait till I get my springs and do it all at once.

wuplash

Established Member
i'am very happy with hermans shocks:beer:

i had mine installed at a shop along with my h&r ss springs and bfg drag radials,this combo has eliminated my wheel hop on the street so far.if i remember correctly i have 3 washers with the bolt going thru them on my shocks with no play.

jordanvraptor

Established Member
Well I'm sure that I'll be happy with mine as well. Once I get them installed correctly. The main problem was the lack of the top mount bushings when they shipped them. Me and YuckFoo had to go into town and find a couple nuts and reuse the rubber bushings from the stock shock absorbers to secure the top mount of the shock. Then the instructions provided are comical. Literally, it is a photocopy of a sheet of paper with a hand drawing on it. It says nothing about what parts are included and how tight the lower mount bolts need to be. Me and my buddy are not mechanical geniuses, but neither are we novices. I mean, in an hour at work, I made some brass sleeves to take up the slack between the new lower mount shock bolt and the A Arm hole. Not perfect but better than having it slip around in there if the thing loosens up.

Maybe all this combined with the correct top mount parts will do the trick and I will join the ranks of those who sing Hermans praises. I truely hope so. Right now it seems just another story of how something simple turns into a major fiasco when it comes to modding my car. Car is at the dealer right now, they are debating whether or not the "aftermarket suspension" is causing the pop tink clicking that we all know is from the halfshaft/hub area. I also had an alternator replaced after it killed my stock battery. They replaced the IAT 1 sensor after it failed and I threw the old "smoke on startup" problem at them again just to piss em off. This car has given me more grief than any other car I have owned. But, then again, it is also the fastest, most exciting car I have ever driven....

Users who are viewing this thread