• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

HID vs. LED headlights

Discussion in 'Interior and Exterior Body & Chassis' started by jtkz13, Jun 29, 2017.

1. jtkz13

jtkz13 Active Member Established Member

So I currently swapped to HID headlights and am not 100% happy. Yes I know a retrofit is the correct way to do it, but I just want adequate lighting. The HID's look decent, but I have a jaggy shadow on the passenger side that is annoying.

Are LED's any better with this? Any links to the best you guys like?

I have LED's in the fogs and I do like the color & output quite a bit.

2. Zemedici

Zemedici Well-Known Member Established Member

3. Huachipato

Huachipato Screaming '04 Established Member

I honestly have not dabbled in LEDs for headlights. From reading the old threads; if you want to stick with the stock housing and reflector then it seemed like a better option over HID. It looks like there has been a lot of progress made with these bulbs, but I have not seen any recent comments. I would suggest looking carefully a the bulbs advertised and make sure it has the proper O-ring at the base so it properly seals up the headlight. I am hoping others who have switched to LED might chime in to provided better feedback.

I have not had good luck with HID is stock housing, and if anything I just create a lot of unwanted glare and poor light pattern for both low and high beam. In my opinion you really need a projector if you want to switch to HID. If you are adventurous - I would be more than happy to provide advice on how to do this on our own.

4. jtkz13

jtkz13 Active Member Established Member

5. procharger

procharger Member Established Member

IMO LEDs offer the best visibility, I've had HIDs for years liked the look, but not great at night.

Sent from my LG-H918 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

6. Monkeygrits

Monkeygrits Newb SVT Poster Established Member

It's really not that much work. It will blow LEDs or HIDs in a halogen reflector out of the water. Took me a week to do my truck messing with them in my free time. Cost me like 300 - 400 bucks I think. Depends on what you want. I already had an extra set of headlights. These are morimoto mini h1 7.0 projectors. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Huachipato

Huachipato Screaming '04 Established Member

8. 2004cobra615

2004cobra615 sssvtsnake Established Member

I just did research on this. Just a quick answer on this subject. More Lumens doesn't mean better visibility.

This video compares 15 of the best led brands and how to best compare them lumens vs Flux all top brands are in here

quick summary gtr gen 3 are the best

I tried a ebay and ddm tuning set and wasnt happy.... beam patterns sucked. Returned them then I found this video

I have the gtr gen 3 in now. I haven't got around to aligment yet to maximize visablity but they have been in for a few months and are much better than the other sets of leds I tried beam pattern is great and they are bright.

I had 50W HID in before and I like the leds better so do the other people on the road!

If your going to go cheap make sure if you get a hi/lo set that they light up they whole Housing on low beam. Most ebay don't and ddm tunning didn't either.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

9. from6to8

from6to8 Member Established Member

Anyone still around? Car I boutht a month ago has HID HL's and fogs. One HL just went out and the only number I found was on one of the small boxes near the housing that read: 9004 7 hl
    Looking at and comparing images it appears it's a Xenon but then again chatting with Xenon I was told I can use any 9004 hid bulb. Looking so far like cheapest for that style bulb in xenon is about 34 bucks. It seems as far as kits it's only xenon or diode dynamics that I've seen. Just saw on ebay for $19 and ebay for $25
    Here is an image of the bulb and for right now I'll just stick with that setup and decide later what I want to go with

Coulndn't upload a file so here's a google image that appears to be what's on the car hid bulb 9004 7 hl example.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  10. from6to8

should I stick with 6000k or try 8000k?
    If they were local I'd just try em lol

11. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

8000k might start turning purple, I wouldnt

also, don't bump old threads like this, theyd rather you start new ones

12. from6to8

yeah I'm going with 5000k or 6000k

13. 2004cobra615

2004cobra615 sssvtsnake Established Member

You should stay between 4500 to 5000 that's bright white. Best output.

Once you get to 6 to 8 it's blue hue

Of course HID has high output and you want a lower number like 4500 which is between 5k to 5.5k in led terms.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

14. from6to8

cool.
    Actually it seems like I guess my stepdad thought the light was out lol. I haven't had a problem since but will definitely keep an eye on