Hitting the wall, we've all been there

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I suppose I forgot to mention.

I do a ton of side work. By career I do logistics/product/catalog/data/inventory management. Desk job jabroni. So I sit around a lot during the day, but i'm sub 30, so it's not like i'm unfit to work on my stuff. I mostly exercise by taking on side work which I make good money doing it. And subsequently invest it into tools/the car. So I have everything from a Lincoln welder, to rotational torque wrench to build rear ends, etc. Working on cars is just what I do.

The shit of it is, I can fix someone else's (including the Fiancee's car) with god like powers lately, but can't catch a break on my car. My boss has a 300zx that he jumped via golf cart. Obviously a bad idea. I did a complete pin out, rewire, ohm'd everything out, and solved the problem in two nights.

But then I put a heater core in my car in the damn thing explodes worse then the old one.

I think i'm just burnt out.

Any of us doing a major project on these cars have been through the same thing it seems. If its not hurting anything let the bitch sit for a bit or as I mentioned bypass it temporarily. They all seem to fight us at some point. Im tempted to hit mine with my wallet right now to shore up a few little issues and be done with it even though Im 100% capable of doing the work.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Any of us doing a major project on these cars have been through the same thing it seems. If its not hurting anything let the bitch sit for a bit or as I mentioned bypass it temporarily. They all seem to fight us at some point. Im tempted to hit mine with my wallet right now to shore up a few little issues and be done with it even though Im 100% capable of doing the work.

I tried the wallet trick.

700 dollar coil overs from MM only got it so the car could roll without it sitting on the back tires lol. Then the heater core blew up after backing it out.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Figured i'd share some pictures of it. Y'all can tell me what you think and if it's a move it or lose it car.

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

Let me know what you think, and if this is the kind of car I should keep or not. I feel like it's impossibly clean, and probably not easy to get again if I did get rid of it.

Coiled03

Established Member
Figured i'd share some pictures of it. Y'all can tell me what you think and if it's a move it or lose it car.

View attachment 1508609
View attachment 1508610

View attachment 1508611
View attachment 1508612

Let me know what you think, and if this is the kind of car I should keep or not. I feel like it's impossibly clean, and probably not easy to get again if I did get rid of it.

It's a notch. It could have holes in the frame rails and 99% of the people here would tell you to keep it, just cuz notch.

Having said that, it does look pretty damn clean. Still, I say sell it.

08mojo

Established Member
I found your problem: it's slow. Skip some of the small stuff (like heater core fights) and invest your time (and obviously money) to make it faster. I'd easily get bored with a stock powered 90-92 mustang! Easier said than done, I know...

Zemedici

Established Member
Dump it bro, it’s just a car, you can always buy another one. Not worth the aggravation imo, it’s supposed to be a stress relieving hobby, not stress inducing.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I found your problem: it's slow. Skip some of the small stuff (like heater core fights) and invest your time (and obviously money) to make it faster. I'd easily get bored with a stock powered 90-92 mustang! Easier said than done, I know...

It's actually got Heads, Cam, Intake, and it's on a Stinger PimpXS ECU with widebands. Gears, full exhaust, all that. Maybe 300 horse.

I'm just going to wait till after the wedding. If a deal on a car I like comes along then I'll move it. Otherwise I think selling it will basically be a massive loss.

Coiled03

Established Member
At least you have the ability to mess with your car. My Mustang has been in the body shop since the 16th of July. I am beginning to think I need visitation rights.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Could be worse. My first mustang was in the body shop for 6 months. They told me they couldn't get parts.....for a Mustang. Just let that sink in.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Talk me off the ledge, or shove me off.

I took the car down in April to do the IRS swap. FTBR, LPW, MM Coil overs, all the good stuff. Dumped a ton of money into it, and still, 4 months later I'm not seeing the end of the tunnel. I've driven it 39 miles since then. Spent thousands.

Hi IronSnake - boy do I have a thread for you!

https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...minator-and-68-miles-later-its-broke.1115089/

I'm also rebuilding a 3000GT - and broke a bolt in the block. Tried an extractor and broke that. Had to grind it out - went to far and into a water jacket. Threaded and JB Welded a stud into it and then cut the stud to the right length. Tonight I was going to finish the engine but couldn't figure out the tensioner mounting... oh wait, it needs to bolt into that area. So now I've had all motivation sucked out of me and I need to cut the stud off, grind it out and re-JB Weld a new stud. SIGHHH

IMG_3851.jpg

02_DBC9_E8_3_E5_E_4169_8_D6_E_E0163_B2_E0_D70.jpg

coposrv

Established Member
Went through the same thing. Package it up and store it. If your like me when I sell something I fire sell it. Usually pennies on the dollar just to get it gone. I’ve never sold a project and looked back and thought it was a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I'm also rebuilding a 3000GT - and broke a bolt in the block. Tried an extractor and broke that. Had to grind it out - went to far and into a water jacket. Threaded and JB Welded a stud into it and then cut the stud to the right length. Tonight I was going to finish the engine but couldn't figure out the tensioner mounting... oh wait, it needs to bolt into that area. So now I've had all motivation sucked out of me and I need to cut the stud off, grind it out and re-JB Weld a new stud. SIGHHH

Holy bananas batman. I feel for you. That really sucks. Did you try the weld a nut to it trick?

I’ve never sold a project and looked back and thought it was a good choice.

This is the number one thing i'm worried about.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I hit the wall once. Decided that hurting my hand was not helping... lol. I recently parted with my GT500 as I was to the point that I just wasn't driving it enough and just didn't want to put more money in it to stay interested. Many people who knew me about passed out when they heard I sold it - they were sure I never would. Went to a 18 GT with auto and really don't look back. You will have to find your own peace, but as many said, parting with it won't be the worst thing you could do. And I agree that as I get older, I just want to drive it and have it be reliable. Mods are fewer and farther between with this one. Good luck and congrats on the pending nuptials.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
My 350z has been sitting since november.

tag expired.. same gas in it... convertible top barely works.. needs paint.

I hate the car, but yet I dont sell it.. not sure why I dont sell it either..

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member

View attachment 1508609
View attachment 1508610

View attachment 1508611
View attachment 1508612

Alright, I'm not going to tell you to keep it or sell it. I think you are the one that needs to decide that. I will however share a bit with you, if you have read my thread on my 85 you know that it was like watching a bipolar woman that lived Groundhog Day the week she started PMSing. I loved that car, I hated that car, I got excited I would giggle like a school girl, I was so upset I wanted to part it out, I felt so proud, I felt so let down. Now that its 99% done and my Dad came out to do the first fire on it, I literally shed tears after it fired up. I cant explain the feeling. I have so much sentimental value wrapped into that car now that my honest to god number to let it go is probably $90k. It puts a smile on my face every time I go look at it, every time I start it, every time I drive it.

I don't know what tie you have to your car but just know that once its finished, in the end and all buttoned up the way you like it. It will be worth it.

Few additional comments, if you have the means to sell it and buy a new car cash. do it. I hate payments and refuse to have payments on anything so that would be a deal breaker for me. But at the end of the day, will you be happy with a new mustang that looks just like every other new mustang on the road?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I agree with the other guy that said you can have the same issues with a terminator. Cause you probably will. Every week since the beginning of the season I’ve had a new problem with my cobra. Just recently bypassed the heater core cause I have no desire to pull the dash. Currently have a rough idle issue that no one can figure out and it’s need valve seals since it smokes like a train on start up. But, I still drive it a lot. Probably 5k miles a year. What makes me keep it is all the compliments it gets. It literally gets more attention than exotic cars when it’s at a car show. Also, make it faster. Horsepower makes everything better. And bypass the heater core.

Users who are viewing this thread