home Internet gurus

cobra199711

Established Member
Ok so short story.. Switched from Att Uverse to Comcast.
I had the Uverse 24mps internet speed and in my home on my Ethernet line it registered approx 30 mps. This was done on ookla. Ok next day switch to Comcast paid for the 75mps.. On same computer is will only run at 20-22 Mbps... The subcontractor didn't know why, he said something is blocking it? What gives? If I plug my computer directly to the Comcast modem it registers 80 and my wireless also registers 80 on my IPad.. My house is one year old and has fiber optic wiring.. Anyone have a clue? I was thinking about getting geek squad out here..

rancid

Established Member
Sounds like you are using wireless for your pc, is this correct? If so, how many bars are you connecting at? If it is wired what are you connecting the nic at, 100mb or 1gb? If you get full speed jacked directly into modem but not via wireless, sounds like a wireless db issue. Try changing the width of your wireless signal to 40hz and adjust the channel on the 5ghz band to something higher or lower. I usually test each channel individually via a speed test at Verizon fios speed test.

Last edited:

cobra199711

Established Member
Rancid its not hooked up wirelessly, it's hooked directly into my wall Ethernet cable.. When I hook it directly to the modem it is fine. It's only when it is hard wired does it SLOW down..

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Rancid its not hooked up wirelessly, it's hooked directly into my wall Ethernet cable.. When I hook it directly to the modem it is fine. It's only when it is hard wired does it SLOW down..

Could be a lot of things. A kink in the cable, broken cable, bad connector can all do this.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
So it works good directly wired to the modem? But, if you hook it to the wall it slows down? The wall plug is directly hooked to the modem, or is there another piece of equipment between where you hook into the wall and the modem? If there isn't any equipment between where you plug into the wall and the router you might be getting some interference somewhere in the wall. Is the modem in a different room than the computer?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Could be a lot of things. A kink in the cable, broken cable, bad connector can all do this.

yep,
also most providers don't guarantee how much speed will be provided, its more of an estimate (fine print).
kink in your cat 3, treadmill disrupting RG, AC unit on other side, noise, bad coax line. is it straight fber or fiber with coax for cable? you can have a new house with both, some companies give discounts to new neighborhoods if they provide it for the general sub division. do you have a wifi extender? do you have your RG in a metal closet panel? the metal will cause disruption on the signal

check your cat 3, you may have a bad connection or a kink, if the wire is squared off it will cause problems with the signal. curves on wiring should be rounded so signal travels smoother.

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
Ok so short story.. Switched from Att Uverse to Comcast.
I had the Uverse 24mps internet speed and in my home on my Ethernet line it registered approx 30 mps. This was done on ookla. Ok next day switch to Comcast paid for the 75mps.. On same computer is will only run at 20-22 Mbps... The subcontractor didn't know why, he said something is blocking it? What gives? If I plug my computer directly to the Comcast modem it registers 80 and my wireless also registers 80 on my IPad.. My house is one year old and has fiber optic wiring.. Anyone have a clue? I was thinking about getting geek squad out here..

You have eliminated the Computers and the cable modem. If you are hard wired, you probably have a old switch, wireless router or firewall in between you computer and the cable modem that is slowing you down and it may need to be adjusted or replaced. If faulty Cabling is the issue, you will need to find someone who has access to a TRD scanner. BTW, does it act the same no matter where you plug in in the house, if so it probably isn't cabling.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
yep,
also most providers don't guarantee how much speed will be provided, its more of an estimate (fine print).
kink in your cat 3, treadmill disrupting RG, AC unit on other side, noise, bad coax line. is it straight fber or fiber with coax for cable? you can have a new house with both, some companies give discounts to new neighborhoods if they provide it for the general sub division. do you have a wifi extender? do you have your RG in a metal closet panel? the metal will cause disruption on the signal

check your cat 3, you may have a bad connection or a kink, if the wire is squared off it will cause problems with the signal. curves on wiring should be rounded so signal travels smoother.

Doesn't matter if his "Cat3" is kinked, bent, shaved, etc. If he is using Cat3 for anything regarding his cable internet, that's his problem.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Comcast can't troubleshoot this? If you just switched to their service it would seem to me that they have to resolve it since with your old provider you were not having this issue. I can tell you that if I had switched from U-Verse to Cox and got a huge performance drop that they'd be at the house resolving it. I had Cox for 21 years and know for sure that is how it works. Unless you didn't take any Comcast service/support on the new contract. Even then, they should be helping you since it is new (Comcast) equipment.

cobra199711

Established Member
Called Comcast they will charge me to look at it... They said it's an issue with my wiring because the wireless system works correctly and also the computer directly plugged into the modem works... UGH this is not my expertise.. Thinking about having Geek Squad come by...thanks for the feedback gentlemen

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Called Comcast they will charge me to look at it... They said it's an issue with my wiring because the wireless system works correctly and also the computer directly plugged into the modem works... UGH this is not my expertise.. Thinking about having Geek Squad come by...thanks for the feedback gentlemen

But everything was fine with ATT U-Verse. Right? So wouldn't that point the finger to Comcast's equipment/installation?

cobra199711

Established Member
That's what I would think CobraBob..I swear Comcast is not making me a happy customer.ill call their customer service line and see what I can do..

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I'd be looking at whatever you're using to convert fiber to Ethernet. Try unplugging it, waiting a minute or so, and then plugging it back in.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I am interested to see what you learn. I didn't think that Cat3 was any good for high speed. I'm just finishing redoing a 45 year old house that I'll be moving to and I have run Cat6 everywhere. I made sure to keep it away from all of the new electric lines.

My choices are Comcast or Verizon. I'm leaning towards Comcast. Hmm now I wonder. I plan to step up to the faster service 150 Mps or more because I work out of the home and want/need the speed. Unlike you I don't have a base line to compare speed to.

Like what CobraBob said, I would think that Comcast should be responsible for checking and correcting the problem. Keep us posted.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm interested to see what happens, too. I hope Comcast decides to help diagnose the issue (at no cost).

cobra199711

Established Member
Called Comcast, they are now sending a tech on the 19th..I'll let ya know the outcome. The tech support was clueless on the issue

Users who are viewing this thread