Home Security...what to do?

97gts

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm working with my neighbors to come up with something that will light up 6 houses one after another if the motion sensor is tripped at night at either of the 6 houses. Looking for some lights to light up the front yard. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Edit:
These are the networked lights if anyone is interested. I'll post up a video once the setup is completed. You can network 150 lights if you wanted as long as they are within range.

http://www.mrbeams.com/products/net...ss-motion-sensor-led-spotlight-netbright.html

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I knew a guy who kept having his mailbox pulled out by someone. Some well placed razor blades and soon there was blood. Could make something interesting to be stolen.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
idk if you have ATT Digital home but it includes cameras with night vision/hd , dead bolt locks you can activate with your phone, key pad, tab, door, window sensors.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The motion sensor flood lighting is a really good idea as are decoy security cameras that are over watched by well hidden cameras.

If you want to step it up a little you could build pressure plate activated sound alarms. Bury them in the front yard where the criminals are likely to travel. When they step on the plate and make contact it sets off a sound alarm. Its constructed just like an IED but instead of there being an explosion at the end its just a loud buzzing sound.

YJSONLY

Established Member
I would say lighting. And also make sure you are protect via gun. But you live in California and guns cause cancer in the state of California.

Sirraf

Established Member
Home security

097726C8-CC29-41C5-B246-F3F79F8A8048.jpg

madscotsman

Established Member
I knew a guy who kept having his mailbox pulled out by someone. Some well placed razor blades and soon there was blood. Could make something interesting to be stolen.

I had lights on top of each fence post in my back yard. Someone thought it would be funny to break them all off. I replaced them only to have them do the same thing again. I bought lights that mount to the actual fence posts and mounted them to the inside of the fence about 1 ½ feet down from the top of the fence posts. Within a week several of them were missing. I replaced those again and nailed 2 razor blades to the fence posts at a 45 degree angle / \ above each one so if they reach over the fence and try to reach down to the lights to grab them they will have a nice surprise from the now rusty razor blades.

e010740

Established Member
Wireless cameras. You can move them easily. They cost more, but are worth it. Combined with dogs, you can't go wrong. On another note, my neighor has a sign on his RV gate that has a illistration of a hand gun. Below is says "I don't call 911" That may help as well!

Troponin

Established Member
Move to Texas where people are allowed to actually defend themselves and their property. Your story is exactly why Texans don't deal with the government overreaching and now allowing good people to protect what they worked hard for.

Otherwise, your only options probably include setting up a game camera or something like that to try to get pictures of the a-holes.

Mike brought up something else. Along with setting up the cameras, you could also set something up to either deter or prevent them from continuing to steal. Maybe booty trap everything.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

this.

build a fence around the front of your property. so the entire property is fenced in. that was a requirement with both houses ive bought. my dogs are on patrol around my property 24-7.

my buddy came by my house to drop of some turbos for polishing. i left them out on a table and he says "arent you worried about someone stealing them?" i replied, "have you seen my dogs? lol". he said "oh yeah". i have a german shepard and mean 120lb mastiff who growls and snaps at people near my fence lol. ups guy was like "man you dont have to worry about anyone breaking into your home".

i also have a pug. all 3 go apeshit when pedestrians or other dogs walk by my house. i always know when fedex or ups stops by.

i have a large automatic gate for my driveway. in the middle of it is a door. we dont keep it locked. anyone can walk right in if they want to but they do so at their own peril.

if fencing in your property just isnt an option (HOA/$) then lots of lightning. get some large mercury vapor lights that come on at dusk and light up your whole driveway. they dont use too much electricty. and then various motion detector lights in other areas. thieves will avoid a driveway/cars that are lit up like a movie set.

Users who are viewing this thread