Home theater guys, tell me about uni-clickers

65fastback2+2

Established Member
hmm i might look into one of these harmony one's for my bed room. I have 3 remotes but hate changing through all them and not being able to fool with the ps3 by remote and such

just make sure you get the harmony ps3 adapter for it all to work correctly

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Harmony one here too. I sell it to all of my customers as well. Best bang for the buck until home automation comes into play.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Define multi zone please. My receiver has multi zone, so I'm hoping that isn't what you are talking about. It controls the speakers on my back porch. With the Harmony do the job, or do I need a URC for that?

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Harmony 880 here, the Wife loves it.

help function FTW.

-Brian

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Define multi zone please. My receiver has multi zone, so I'm hoping that isn't what you are talking about. It controls the speakers on my back porch. With the Harmony do the job, or do I need a URC for that?

it'll "do" it....its just not meant to do it, so setup is a lil rough and functionality is meh.

for example, if you want to turn the zone 2 off so you turn your outdoor speakers off, you have to turn the WHOLE system off.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Check out www.iconharmony.com When you setup your remote for your favorite channels, you can put these icons next to the button on the LCD. I did it last night and it looks pretty awesome.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Harmony one here too. I sell it to all of my customers as well. Best bang for the buck until home automation comes into play.

What company do you work for? If you dont mind me asking.

Im pretty sure you can program harmony to do a macro to do the second zone. But its hard and time consuming. Ive never done it. I just tell customer to use original remote only to turn on second zone.

Another new brand out there is Nevo. ALOT cheaper than Harmony-at least whole sale is. But in my opnion not as easy to program.
The Q50 is badass. Has RF and can control light switches via Zwave.
Nevo - New Evolution in Home Control

oilwell1415

Established Member
I've been doing more web research and went to Best Buy today to look at the different models. The more I look, the more I think I can live with 4 remotes.

I would like something that can operate my lights and ceiling fans, but that's getting into $400 which is silly. Also, the Harmony 900 doesn't have macros which I gather from some of the other posts means it won't control the second zone on my receiver. That sucks, but the original remote for the receiver is a pain in the ass for zone 2 as well. The Harmony One can do zone 2, but no RF capability. I see that there are now light and fan controllers that are IR controlled instead of RF, but if I have to get up to get in IR range I might as well just flip the damn switch myself.

I guess my main motivation in getting a uniclicker is that when we have company over someone without a ****ing clue always decides they want to change the channel/volume or watch a movie or play a game and it ALWAYS ends up getting all screwed up. Best Buy has the Harmony One online for $150, so I might end up going that route and see if I like it.

Best Buy had a ton of different remotes, but most of them looked like toys and the salesman couldn't really vouch for their abilities.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I've been doing more web research and went to Best Buy today to look at the different models. The more I look, the more I think I can live with 4 remotes.

I would like something that can operate my lights and ceiling fans, but that's getting into $400 which is silly. Also, the Harmony 900 doesn't have macros which I gather from some of the other posts means it won't control the second zone on my receiver. That sucks, but the original remote for the receiver is a pain in the ass for zone 2 as well. The Harmony One can do zone 2, but no RF capability. I see that there are now light and fan controllers that are IR controlled instead of RF, but if I have to get up to get in IR range I might as well just flip the damn switch myself.

I guess my main motivation in getting a uniclicker is that when we have company over someone without a ****ing clue always decides they want to change the channel/volume or watch a movie or play a game and it ALWAYS ends up getting all screwed up. Best Buy has the Harmony One online for $150, so I might end up going that route and see if I like it.

Best Buy had a ton of different remotes, but most of them looked like toys and the salesman couldn't really vouch for their abilities.

Once you get the remote and get it set up right you will never go back to mulitple remotes.
You cant go wrong with the Harmony One for the price just no lighting control with any of the Harmony Remotes now.

Did you look at any of the Nevo remotes online?

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member

couple of things

1) sorry they couldnt tell you the remote abilities at the store
2) even the RF harmonys dont control RF light controls....they still will only control an IR light control. Harmony One, 900 and 1100 can all control Lutron IR switches
3) No harmony is BUILT to control zone 2....even if you call logitech for zone 2 support they'll tell you it doesnt do it. However, it CAN do it. The One, 900 and 1100 can all control a zone 2. Its just difficult to program and lacks full capability (like powering off zone 2). It works however and most of my clients use it just fine.
4) IR range on a harmony is really far. I have to go into my kitchen to get it to not work my system.

Just get a Harmony One and set it up for all your stuff for zone 1.....enjoy it. Then in 3-4 weeks, tinker with getting it to operate zone 2.

you'll be glad you did

Once you get the remote and get it set up right you will never go back to mulitple remotes.
You cant go wrong with the Harmony One for the price just no lighting control with any of the Harmony Remotes now.

actually Lutron makes IR light and fan switches that work with the harmony one and above.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Man, if you guys need a remote to control your lights, that's getting a little deep into the lazy territory. I think I can handle flipping a light/fan switch as I walk in or out of a room. Nothing wrong with wanting to not go back and forth between 3-5 remotes though.

And I have no clue what zone 2 is, so I won't go there lol.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
actually Lutron makes IR light and fan switches that work with the harmony one and above.

Wouldnt he have to point the remote at the light switches then? :shrug:

IR is line of sight if I remember right. So if light switches were behind him have to point remote behind him for light switches and in front for all equipment.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Man, if you guys need a remote to control your lights, that's getting a little deep into the lazy territory. I think I can handle flipping a light/fan switch as I walk in or out of a room. Nothing wrong with wanting to not go back and forth between 3-5 remotes though.

Zone 2 is a secondary zone for sound that will do a pair of speakers.
Example would be a 7.1 reciever would do 5.1 in living and a pair of speakers on the porch.

oilwell1415

Established Member

It's not for when you walk into or out of a room, it's for when you're sitting on the couch and decide you want the fan or lights on or off and don't want to get up to go flip the switch. It isn't any lazier than having a remote to change channels and volume in the first place.

Zone 2 can be done with a 7.1 receiver running a 5.1 surround system as described above, but my receiver actually has a separate zone 2 function. It also has 7.1, so I guess I really have a 3 zone system, but only use two of the zones.

IR is line of sight if I remember right. So if light switches were behind him have to point remote behind him for light switches and in front for all equipment.

I can see the switch for the living room light from where I watch TV, it isn't a big deal to point the remote at it. I'm not doing every light in the house.

65fastback2+2

Established Member

you are correct....but the $400 harmony 1100 or harmony 900 wont do RF light control either. he mentioned $400 was pricey for him, so im sure he doesnt wanna spend the ton money that RF light controls cost. Last time I looked on lutron's site (iirc) RF lights for one room cost around $500.

Zone 2 can be done with a 7.1 receiver running a 5.1 surround system as described above, but my receiver actually has a separate zone 2 function. It also has 7.1, so I guess I really have a 3 zone system, but only use two of the zones.

its still just a 2 zone.

remember, if its a 7.1 receiver, its meant to power a maximum of 7 speakers. this is true of 99% of receivers up to $2000. If its a 7.1 and it has zone 2, then it'll do a max of 5.1 + 2

oilwell1415

Established Member
I didn't say $400 was pricey, I said it was silly. There isn't $400 worth of utility in a 900 or 1100 for me. As I said in my first post, I don't mind spending money, I just want to get something for it and the RF capability of the 900 and 1100 doesn't do it for me, particularly if they still won't do what I want.

It will do 3 zones, but needs an external amp if the 2 extra surround channels are used as the third zone at the same time the other zones are active. It will power any 2 of the 3 zones at one time,or at least that's what I think I remember the manual saying. We were going to use this, but never have. With a TV in every room you may want to watch in there isn't any need for it. Maybe someday when I hit the lotto I will want background music throughout the whole mansion, but if that happens I won't be the one that has to figure out how to do it.

supman

Established Member
Here's my experience.

Went from 4 remotes (tv, cable box, dvd, vcr) to a Harmony. Cant remember the model though.

It was awesome. I could pretty much control all 4 items seamlessly from the harmony. Only problem was the kids and wife. Quite often i would get calls at work...."the tv wont turn on, volume wont work, dvd wont play...)

Since then i just built a new house. Before building i researched many companies that provide these types of features. I went with a manufacturer Control 4.

My single remote now controls....ready for this....
1)4 tv's 2) blueray 3) PS3 4) XBOX 5) 7.1 receiver 6) 5.1 receiver 7) 4 cable boxes 8) lights 9) 4 zones of audio 10) 2 ipod docks 11) whole house security 12) ip video cameras..... and probably a few other things i cant remember now.

The system also has a 6 button keypad in my theatre room. The buttons are labeled... cable box, dvd, ps3, radio, satellite, and room off. As you enter the room press a button and voila all components turn on to the right inputs and outputs. This is also possible from the remote. Check out their website.

Control4 Home Automation and Home Control

supman

Established Member
Oh yeah, its all possible remotely from any computer. I can check status of lights in case kids left them on while leaving for school. I can even check to make sure they locked the front door, if they havent i can lock it remotely. This stuff is too cool, and the overall cost was reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread