Home theater receivers

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
pioneer elite's used to be awesome receivers. theyve cheaped out on their audio processors in the last couple of years to "save money"...so Id call em just "meh" now.

denon and marantz are the way to go.

I know there's better out there but it's only for my living room, not a dedicated home theater room. It was only 1/3 the price of the upper level Denons and I didn't really want to spend much.

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
lol wat?

Denon AVR-1912 7.1 channel networking home theater receiver (AVR 1912) at Vanns.com

vs.

Denon - 875W 7.1-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - AVR1912

hmmm lol

online will only "smoke best buy" if its typically a mediocre manufacturer that doesnt care about their image but only their units sold.

if someone online has it SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. check the manufacturers website. they are probably not an approved reseller and therefore you have ZERO warranty on the product.

vanns.com is very legit....I have spent quites a bit with them, but like everywhere, you need to check around for pricing.

I will say Vann's customer service is top notch and there is no sales tax or shipping on most items.:beer:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
They are plugged into the wall. The receiver can be set up for the extra channels to do several things including surround, a third zone, or subs. When set up for subs it doesn't amp the outputs.

well thats a waste. the crossovers in your towers will pull the sub frequencies off the main line and send them to the sub. just have to find the speaker setting in the menu. usually its under speaker size and will ask you "small" or "large". small wont send the sub frequencies. larger will.

I would love to get a 3312, but it's not available yet. I'm also not sure if it's got double the utility to match the twice as much price.

the great thing about denon is they are the oldest receiver/amp manufacturer on earth. been around a long time doing a lot of top quality things. the new marantz's are SICK....but the one i like is $1599 and doesnt fit in your $1k budget like the 3312 does. I personally have the 3311 (which is the current until the 3312 comes out) and love it. the 33XX series and above is a total different model line than the below lines. Their chassis is better built, metal front instead of plastic, etc.

I know there's better out there but it's only for my living room, not a dedicated home theater room. It was only 1/3 the price of the upper level Denons and I didn't really want to spend much.

sure. i knew you knew that. I just like to comment on things haha.

vanns.com is very legit....I have spent quites a bit with them, but like everywhere, you need to check around for pricing.

I will say Vann's customer service is top notch and there is no sales tax or shipping on most items.:beer:

yes....vanns.com is one of the few online approved retailers for many products like denon.....which is why their pricing is the exact same as best buy

65fastback2+2

Established Member
also, oilwell, i know you said you were looking at the 1912.....but for nearly the same price point i would get the 2212. main differences being a 1 year longer manufacturer warranty and multi-zone preouts so that you can connect other amps or receivers to it for more power and more zones. worth the $70 for sure.

oilwell1415

Established Member
well thats a waste. the crossovers in your towers will pull the sub frequencies off the main line and send them to the sub. just have to find the speaker setting in the menu. usually its under speaker size and will ask you "small" or "large". small wont send the sub frequencies. larger will.

You're over my head there. I am not a HT enthusiast, I just want surround that sounds good. The way it is set up is the only way I could get it to work. If it's a waste now, what would it be if I just left those two outputs sitting there doing nothing? At least now I'm getting use from them.

the great thing about denon is they are the oldest receiver/amp manufacturer on earth. been around a long time doing a lot of top quality things. the new marantz's are SICK....but the one i like is $1599 and doesnt fit in your $1k budget like the 3312 does. I personally have the 3311 (which is the current until the 3312 comes out) and love it. the 33XX series and above is a total different model line than the below lines. Their chassis is better built, metal front instead of plastic, etc.

The $1000 really isn't a budget, it's just what I feel is justified based on the rest of the system. As I said, I'm not an enthusiast. If I can see justification in spending more money I will do it happily; it just has to bring with it an improvement that I can quantify.

The 3312 hit Best Buy dot com today for $100 over MSRP. LOL. I'm not paying over MSRP for it, so I would be shopping elsewhere for it. On stuff like this I really like to buy local. I also did a side by side comparison on the Denon website between the 3312, 2112 and 1912. I didn't really see anything the 3312 has to offer as far as features to put it over the top at double the price. I'm still tempted.....

also, oilwell, i know you said you were looking at the 1912.....but for nearly the same price point i would get the 2212. main differences being a 1 year longer manufacturer warranty and multi-zone preouts so that you can connect other amps or receivers to it for more power and more zones. worth the $70 for sure.

The 2112 (didn't find a 2212?) also has 250W less power than the 1912, but even at 630W it's an upgrade over my 1907. I do like the extra warranty, that by itself is worth the money. Plus it is set up for an extra sub, which I would like to add because the room is fairly large. There is also the 2312 with a little more power, but it is almost as much as the 3312.

On further review, BB is over MSRP on all of their Denon receivers. WTF?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
The 3312 hit Best Buy dot com today for $100 over MSRP. LOL. I'm not paying over MSRP for it, so I would be shopping elsewhere for it. On stuff like this I really like to buy local. I also did a side by side comparison on the Denon website between the 3312, 2112 and 1912. I didn't really see anything the 3312 has to offer as far as features to put it over the top at double the price. I'm still tempted.....

The 2112 (didn't find a 2212?) also has 250W less power than the 1912, but even at 630W it's an upgrade over my 1907. I do like the extra warranty, that by itself is worth the money. Plus it is set up for an extra sub, which I would like to add because the room is fairly large. There is also the 2312 with a little more power, but it is almost as much as the 3312.

On further review, BB is over MSRP on all of their Denon receivers. WTF?

I meant 2112, my bad. and the 2112 and the 1912 are both 90 watts per channel. Dunno where you came up with "250w less power".

Best Buy usually will mark something over MSRP when theyre just listing it but arent ready to sell it quite yet. it should go to msrp once inventory is in.

3312 is 2 hdmi output. nice for running 2 video components...nice feature (going to eventually use my 2nd hdmi for a TV to the garage for when working on cars). 3312 is also 0.05% distortion vs. 0.08% of the 2313, 2112 and 1912. less distortion is better especially when cranking up the volume. it wont break up as much on the top end.

pure direct mode is awesome which the 1912 doesnt have. this mode converts all energy to the 2 main channels for stereo listening. it even disables the front information panel light. it makes a HUGE difference for music listening. like a cobra jet vs. a 1995 v6 mustang.

125 wpc (watts per channel) on the 3312 vs. 105 on the 2312 and 90 on the 2112 and 1912. double the watts per channel and double the volume. thus the 3312 is capable of 40% more volume than the 2112 and 1912.

3312 has the AL24 plus processor for cleaner audio processing.

hope that helps you!

Last edited:

oilwell1415

Established Member
I meant 2112, my bad. and the 2112 and the 1912 are both 90 watts per channel. Dunno where you came up with "250w less power".

The 1912 is advertised as 875W vs. 630W for the 2112. After looking at them both on the Denon site they are both listed as 90Wx7 channels, so both should be 630W. Maybe they are including the extra zones in the 1912 number? It really doesn't matter, I don't use anywhere near all of the 590W I have now and it's plenty loud when I want it to be. The volume gets annoying before it starts to distort.

Best Buy usually will mark something over MSRP when theyre just listing it but arent ready to sell it quite yet. it should go to msrp once inventory is in.

That's dumb. They have it listed for preorder on their website, but about 5 seconds of searching found it on preorder for MSRP elsewhere. I wonder how many sales that costs them.

3312 is 2 hdmi output. nice for running 2 video components...nice feature (going to eventually use my 2nd hdmi for a TV to the garage for when working on cars). 3312 is also 0.05% distortion vs. 0.08% of the 2313, 2112 and 1912. less distortion is better especially when cranking up the volume. it wont break up as much on the top end.

I can't think of any circumstance that would cause me to need multiple HDMI outputs. Less distortion is all good, but I'm skeptical about being able to tell the difference since I don't crank the volume up high enough to use all of the power.

pure direct mode is awesome which the 1912 doesnt have. this mode converts all energy to the 2 main channels for stereo listening. it even disables the front information panel light. it makes a HUGE difference for music listening. like a cobra jet vs. a 1995 v6 mustang.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever listened to music on the main system. The only time I listen to music is on zone 2 when I'm in the back yard.

125 wpc (watts per channel) on the 3312 vs. 105 on the 2312 and 90 on the 2112 and 1912. double the watts per channel and double the volume. thus the 3312 is capable of 40% more volume than the 2112 and 1912.

I can't even imagine using 40% more volume. The whole house will shake with what I have now. I think the 2112 is the way I'll probably go when it comes out. Denon says June. I can wait that long. Although the 2312 does two subs. ???????

3312 has the AL24 plus processor for cleaner audio processing.

WTF is a AL24 plus processor?

hope that helps you!

It's definitely getting me towards a decision! I still don't know what half the stuff is.

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
The 1912 is advertised as 875W vs. 630W for the 2112. After looking at them both on the Denon site they are both listed as 90Wx7 channels, so both should be 630W. Maybe they are including the extra zones in the 1912 number? Although the 2312 does two subs. ???????

WTF is a AL24 plus processor?

someone probably listed the total wattage incorrectly. they will be the same amount of watts (2112 and 1912)

the dual subs is not a HUGE deal, you can split the sub output as well.

Advanced AL24 Processing
"The acclaimed Advanced AL24 DSP processing improves the fidelity of high resolution stereo PCM sources such as CD and DVD (up to 192kHz sampling frequencies), by sophisticated DSP processing algorithms that improves low level detail and enhances fidelity by upsampling and adaptive filtering techniques. Advanced AL24 also provides increased dynamic range and spatial information, bringing out all the nuances with optimum clarity and natural fidelity."

just sound processing, in short order

oilwell1415

Established Member
I think you're right. It will also give me some cash left over to get another sub and another power filter/surge protector. Any recommendations on the latter? I've got a Panamax now and it didn't do its job and they are stiffing me on the covered equipment warranty.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
i use panamax for all my stuff. im surprised yours didnt work? they are superb and have some nice features. like, if they fail, they fail closed so your system is still protected.

oilwell1415

Established Member
That's what I found out when I researched them, but they are putting the screws to me to the tune of about $2k in damaged equipment. Apparently their policy has changed since I bought the unit and their goal is to find any way they can to deny a claim.

Users who are viewing this thread