Hood Struts on a FG Hood-Bad Idea?

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Basically a fiberglass terminator hood, anybody use hood struts on a fiberglass Hoodour any type on a new edge?
... so I'm assuming the MRT brand would be whatI would d use since they have the longest span it seems?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The piston will be the deciding factor. Too much resistance is going to be a definitely issue. Most aftermarket hood strut kits post a warning like this one. "If your aftermarket hood is lighter than the factory hood, use caution when opening the hood due to the power of the strut." I'm interested in hearing from those who are using them with a fiberglass hood. I would like to add this info to my Terminator FAQs.

GodStang

Established Member
Just got a Cervini hood and want to go to struts. What brand is best. I think one is no drilling?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Keep in mind the factory units are composite. Been running Red Lines on mine for over 8 years w/o issue. Just be careful drilling as not to go all the way through.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just got a Cervini hood and want to go to struts. What brand is best. I think one is no drilling?

I have the MRT's on two vehicles and like them. No drilling and the struts are back by the hinges out of the way.

joshcarp81

Established Member
give MRT a call. I had struts for a factory hood and it was way too much for the carbon/fiberglass I installed. I told them what the new hood weighed and they sent me out ones rated for the new hood.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I have had redline's on my car since brand new. Zero issues

If i had to do it over, i would go MRT all day. Putting unnecessary holes in the car sucks

94slowbra1

Established Member
i had redlines on my factory cobra hood. great, no issues and looked good. i since swapped to a CF hood and needed a lighter piston. called redline and couldnt get through for a custom set up plus i wasnt sure if i wanted to drill in the new hood. called mrt and gave them my new hoods weight. they hooked me up with a lighter piston and installed very easy with no drilling. hood opens and closes like it did before

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
i had redlines on my factory cobra hood. great, no issues and looked good. i since swapped to a CF hood and needed a lighter piston. called redline and couldnt get through for a custom set up plus i wasnt sure if i wanted to drill in the new hood. called mrt and gave them my new hoods weight. they hooked me up with a lighter piston and installed very easy with no drilling. hood opens and closes like it did before

That is great that MRT can provide a lighter pressure piston for lighter hoods. I'm going to have to add this info to my Terminator FAQs because for sure it's going to come up again in the future. Thanks for the info!

joshcarp81

Established Member
I'll look back Bob at my emails to see what they recommended for the carbon/fiberglass setup. I'm sure all fiberglass can't be too much more.
they told me what the stock ones were rated at and just needed to know the weight of the hood. I thought it was cool they would just sell me the struts too and didn't need to buy the whole setup again.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Josh, are those numbers the rating of the hood strut pistons? Must be because the factory hood weighs around 35 lbs. Carbon/fiberglass hoods weigh around 20 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread