Horsepower on 05 Cobra?

Black93Cobra

Established Member
The '05 Cobras will have the 400 hp, not the GT's. From reports I've seen elsewhere that is the speculation (and right now that is all that it is). I would assume the GT's would have 300+ but again that is just a guess. I would love a 500 hp Cobra but I don't think the Ford lawyers would let them out the door of the factory!

Happy 03

Established Member
If the Lightning is going to have 500 hp, then I think it would be logical to think the Cobra would have simular. Just my guess.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Happy 03
If the Lightning is going to have 500 hp, then I think it would be logical to think the Cobra would have simular. Just my guess.

Don't forget that Lightning is a concept too (isn't it? :shrug: )

03blackvert

Established Member
The L will also likely carry an extra 1500+ lbs over the cobra, so don't think the extra
100 hp translates into extra performance.

Orange Poison

Established Member
The mustang GT is still a car for the masses....I don't think Ford will sell a 400 horse car to the masses.....Remember all those old biddies like mustang GT's too....they ain't gonna handle 400 horses. I just hope they don't with the GT and piss off all us Cobra owners.

Superfly

Established Member
It's a concept car! Remember the Mach III? The concept for the SN95 Stangs. It sported a S/C and how long did it take Ford to put 1 into production on a Stang? Nine years, so don't count on it. The Cobra hopefully will keep it like the Lightning does year after year. The GT would be lucky to hit 340, big jump from 260. It really needs the 340, maybe Ford will wake up and realize this. But, if we're all lucky Ford will use the 5.0 Mod motor in both.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by Superfly
It's a concept car! Remember the Mach III? The concept for the SN95 Stangs. It sported a S/C and how long did it take Ford to put 1 into production on a Stang? Nine years, so don't count on it. The Cobra hopefully will keep it like the Lightning does year after year. The GT would be lucky to hit 340, big jump from 260. It really needs the 340, maybe Ford will wake up and realize this. But, if we're all lucky Ford will use the 5.0 Mod motor in both.
I agree. I believe that the GT will break the 300 mark in 05. But not by much. If they(FORD) decide to produce a car with 400bhp (factory) then it will probably be a limited production car (I.E. COBRA). I think if they(ford) tried hard enough, they could create such a monster N/A using the DOHC 5.0 concept. With the right compression and other little goodies, its possible. By doing it that way, it would keep the 03 Cobra Collectible. If they Supercharge the 05 Cobra, the 03 will Drop in price like a rock.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
What about the weight?

I have heard rumors, that in current form the car is upwards of 4,000 LBS!!!

If this car comes out at 3600 Plus (without a Supercharger)... I am going to be really disappointed!

I hope they get this car down to GT weights w/ Cobra Power... that is what we really need!

Dave

Superfly

Established Member
From all I've read and heard, the weight should be about the same as it is now. Still too heavy though! Stangs have been overweight since 94. As far as price, it should be about the same as it is now also.:) With the usual 2-3% mark up every year. Ford knows they can't push this car out of the price range for buyers, like the RX7 and Supra. I think thats why they're not around anymore. Awsome cars but the price went so high on them the average guy couldn't afford them. Ford won't do that to the Mustang!

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Superfly
From all I've read and heard, the weight should be about the same as it is now. Still too heavy though! Stangs have been overweight since 94. As far as price, it should be about the same as it is now also.:) With the usual 2-3% mark up every year. Ford knows they can't push this car out of the price range for buyers, like the RX7 and Supra. I think thats why they're not around anymore. Awsome cars but the price went so high on them the average guy couldn't afford them. Ford won't do that to the Mustang!

Ford's have always been heavy - in the 60's, the Galaxies were always 2-3 hundred pounds more than Impalas and Furies. Ford's are fat.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
I agree. I believe that the GT will break the 300 mark in 05. But not by much. If they(FORD) decide to produce a car with 400bhp (factory) then it will probably be a limited production car (I.E. COBRA). I think if they(ford) tried hard enough, they could create such a monster N/A using the DOHC 5.0 concept. With the right compression and other little goodies, its possible. By doing it that way, it would keep the 03 Cobra Collectible. If they Supercharge the 05 Cobra, the 03 will Drop in price like a rock.

BO, even if the supercharge the 05, we still have the only year with this body style with a supercharger. Should be worth something, I agree that it would be better if they did not S/C the 05, but we have the last of a production style, always adds a lil:beer:

key2you

Established Member
I hear the 05 GT will have around the 300hp (possibly what the 96 cobra hp was). The 6 will stay around 215 and possibly go up to 250 w/fords new alum v-6. The 05 cobra will be 400hp. The one thing to think about is will ford give the new cobra an additional 5-10 hp because remember the 03's are making much more than 390 hp. I did hear that the 05 will be s/c. I also heard that we probably won't see the 5.0 modular until 07 or later (in the mustang). The 03 will have a good resale value. One reason for this is because there won't be alot of them to pick from. Your talking about 17k-18k 03 when the 05 come along. Ford wanted about 24k before 05's come but they keep shutting there lines down and are way behind if they want to reach that #. I hear they would have to double the production of the cobra for at least 8 months and that's not counting any more production stops. Because of the body change and the 03 being the first svt cobra that's s/c it should have a good if not better resale value.
i

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member

Originally posted by Dave Schotz
What about the weight?

I have heard rumors, that in current form the car is upwards of 4,000 LBS!!!

If this car comes out at 3600 Plus (without a Supercharger)... I am going to be really disappointed!

I hope they get this car down to GT weights w/ Cobra Power... that is what we really need!

Dave
03 cobras weigh in at 3660 curb weight. I may be off a LB or 2

jrscobra

blank
Established Member
Why wouldnt the lawyers let a 500 hp GT out. How many hp does a Viper have? Cobra customers aren't just anyone. Given the low production numbers, I wouldn't think there would be a problem. What about the GT40? Sure its a limited production, but the 1000 or so that will be built will be driven by people. The lives of the people in those cars are the same as the lives in a cobra. So whats the difference? Our cars are all high powered vehicles, and we could easily be killed in one. What would a lawyers problem be with a car with that much power? As long as emissions standards were met, wheres the harm?

I will have a new 05 Cobra. Whether its a 300hp wimp or a 500 hp beast. No matter which, I will drive it with respect. Those who wreck them will have probably wrecked whatever theyre driving anyway. Let the GT be the performance car for the masses and let the cobra be the car for the true lovers of the car.
Thats just my opinion.
jr

kmoore281

Established Member
well i heard you will have your choice in the GT for the motor , which would be the 260hp gt , the bullit motor and a n/a 32 cobra motor and there will also be 2 v6 engines. my pops works for ford but he told me this close to a year ago so not 100% sure if they are sticking to that. seems like alot of choices which is expensive for the motor company.

Users who are viewing this thread