How bad is the 5.4l 3v cam phaser issue?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If the engine isnt toast, the chains and tensioners should be replaced, phasers too. the most critical part from my research is the oil pump. Ford Racing (performance) sells an upgraded GT500 oil pump (the OE pump on the 13-14). It is also for use on the 3vs because, you guessed it, it requires more oil for the VCT operation.

Purchased one for my GT500 from American Muscle for my engine upgrade. Nearly ALL reviews were from 3v owners looking to solve their phaser/chain issues once and for all.

@mc01svt If Im you, Im looking for a 2v Excursion. Just saying...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I also noticed that the engines with the oil build up. were almost all from neglecting from regular oil changes and using good oil with a good oil filter.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Good point, but if the timing chain tensioner gaskets fail and bleed off oil pressure (which happened due to crappy tensioner gaskets on most early 3v motors ) the knock will still be there. The tensioners use oil pressure to keep the chain taught, so when they begin to fail you end up with chain slap. Also, the stock oil pumps are weak in these motors, which is why it is recommended to upgrade to a stronger pump (Melling M360?) when replacing the timing gear. The passenger head is the last part of the motor that gets oil, so you have to be careful the cam caps on that side aren’t damaged from previous oil starvation

True. I have the same issue with an Aviator right now.

josephcostello

Established Member
My dads 2v 5.4 (98 expy) had a nasty ticking sound, never figured it out but I think it's cam phasers. Not even going to deal with it just going to swap the motor for another.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
True. I have the same issue with an Aviator right now.

Haha me too! Wife drives a 2005 Aviator. I’m hoping to squeeze a few more years out of it. Motor has a little rattle and I assume it is a similar problem. Tranny also slips a bit, but I’m running it until it drops. After the project on the 5.4 3v I’m not digging into the 4.6 4v! Screw that!

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
My dads 2v 5.4 (98 expy) had a nasty ticking sound, never figured it out but I think it's cam phasers. Not even going to deal with it just going to swap the motor for another.

2V modular does not have variable valve timing and thus no cam phasers. Cam phasers were introduced with the 3v motors starting in 2004

Allanon

SVT Druid
Established Member
We had an 05 F150, and an 06 Expedition, both with the 3v 5.4. Ran them both u til about 120k before upgrading. Literally not one single problem with either vehicle. I ran the Motorcraft 5-20 blend, changed at 5k intervals on the Expedition, and 3k interval on the truck, as it got more towing use.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
What years did they have the problem with the spark plugs breaking off into the head?

GT350R

Established Member
My 05 Lariat started around 70,000 miles. Replaced with Meling pieces instead of Ford at 120,000 when they got so bad the truck was throwing lights. Sold at 135,000.

Motorcraft semisynthetic oil and Motorcraft filters every 3,000 miles as everyone told me that would keep it from happening.

Cam phasers , 6 snapped off spark plugs, rotted fuel pump module , wheel bearings , gas pedal throttle body codes.

The truck literally cost more to maintain than it did to buy a brand new truck. It's also the straw that broke the camel's back. Made me realize no company should have my total loyalty while feeding me shit. I leased a new Ram.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I've got a few mod motors under my belt now and I think based on what I've seen, the main #1 issue in terms of longevity is the Oil pump no matter which genera. Actually You might say maintenance #1 and Oil pump #1.5... Once they start wearing out, they seem to start starving the passenger side cyl head and all the timing components of lubrication first and it's downhill from there.

I think if you went in around 150k give or take and upgraded the Oil pump (while hopefully everything else should still be in good shape) you'd have even a 5.4 3v that will run well for a really long time.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
IMG_2669.JPG

Sent from somewhere

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Sure its not a leaking manifold gasket?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Haha me too! Wife drives a 2005 Aviator. I’m hoping to squeeze a few more years out of it. Motor has a little rattle and I assume it is a similar problem. Tranny also slips a bit, but I’m running it until it drops. After the project on the 5.4 3v I’m not digging into the 4.6 4v! Screw that!

Trans is still strong on mine. Probably going to tear into the engine in a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread