How bad would the stock GT mufflers sound with O/R X?

htk084

Established Member
Hey I just picked up my 2012 GT A6 and am already starting the mod process. I'm trying to keep the car as quiet as possible. But my question is will stock mufflers with an offroad x pipe sound terrible? like raspy? any sound clips would be greatly appreciated!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Its been done a few times do a search you'll find it. Also seems people don't mind the tone.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i was kinda wondering the same thing as to im soon going from o/r x to o/r x+ longtubes..

does anyone know the link to that page with all the different 5.0 exhaust combinations?

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
No, it doesn't sound terrible. I had that setup on my car for a few weeks, but last week I swapped my borla mufflers back on, only because it was too quiet. It sounds like a stock system, just a little louder. The first time I read where someone else described it as a little louder than stock, I didn't believe them. Then I tried it. Its true. If you're looking to stay fairly quiet, then I think you'd be very happy with it.

98v8

Established Member
My car has stress cat deletes and borla x pipe and I think it sounds pretty good when you get on it. Just a tad louder than stock

9secWS6

Established Member
I ran mine like that for a while and really liked the way it sounded. Sounds really good when you get on it.

2012csgt

Established Member
i was kinda wondering the same thing as to im soon going from o/r x to o/r x+ longtubes..

does anyone know the link to that page with all the different 5.0 exhaust combinations?

I am going to try the stock mufflers with with my JBA long tubes and O/R X to see how it sounds. Just waiting to get my car back from getting the tranny fixed. You pick up yours yet? I too will be seeing Ken in the near future to tune my car.

burke985

Established Member
Sounds like something is loose and flapping around when you get on it . I thought it sounded horrible at wot. If you want to keep it not loud and sound almost stockish with normal driving get some JBA's , they sound pretty good at low rpms and wont scare the neighbors. I had both JBA and GT500 and the JBA's were quieter and just as deep or a tad deeper with an off road X

ridenfish39

Established Member
Sounds like something is loose and flapping around when you get on it . I thought it sounded horrible at wot. If you want to keep it not loud and sound almost stockish with normal driving get some JBA's , they sound pretty good at low rpms and wont scare the neighbors. I had both JBA and GT500 and the JBA's were quieter and just as deep or a tad deeper with an off road X
This...it has a metallic, ''tinny'' sound when you get on it and they are too quiet. I put my Hushpowers back on, but they are too loud, might get some race bullets to quiet it down and tame the rasp a bit.

CamaroDave

Established Member
It's a little raspy. I hated it at first. It's only raspy at certain Rpms. I think it sounds good at wot about 4000. I want to keep the car quiet so I won't ever put other mufflers on it.

Bud

Established Member
I ran stock mufflers with just an offroad-x for awhile, then with jpc over axles too. I thought it sounded great. I hate loud obnoxious crap though, so the mellow tone was good with me.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm happy with stock mufflers and cat deletes. gt500s ab's were way too ****ing loud. 2250 rpm sounded like wot.

Bud

Established Member
I ran stock mufflers and x-pipe and went 9.8s at 140+.

Needs to be a like button on this forum, that is just badass. Nothing like lining up beside a loud ass 13 second open header car and quietly ripping off a 9 :beer:

Snake40

Established Member
Hey I just picked up my 2012 GT A6 and am already starting the mod process. I'm trying to keep the car as quiet as possible. But my question is will stock mufflers with an offroad x pipe sound terrible? like raspy? any sound clips would be greatly appreciated!

I just put a Lethal x pipe on my 2012 C/S. Its slightly louder, no rasp. I love it. I'm 50 years old and hate loud exhaust so thats saying something.
If I had to guess I'd say most people would think its too quiet.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Here is a video of our old 2011 GT with a comparison of stock vs adding our off road X pipe. As you can hear, just like it's been stated, it sounds just like stock but just a little louder with a "metallic" type sound to it.

Let us know if you have any questions. Thank you.

[youtube_browser]lQz3qYYRkKk[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread