How come the new Shelby doesn't have...

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
A shield covering the pullies like on the 03 - 04's ? :shrug:

I was under the impression the terminators had them for "liability reasons"... FORD bean counters were worried about loose hair, clothing etc sucking someone right into the motor and causing physical injury or death...

Ryan02Stang

Established Member
I like it better without the pulley cover. Most 03/04 owners took them off anyways.

The liability reason sounds BS to me. Why would you be more likely to get your hair, etc stuck in a supercharger pulley rather than an alternator pulley??

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
PowerWheels said:
The Terminator had it to prevent pulley changes. : )
I dunno...I wonder if ford thought people were going to mod the 03-04's to high hell like they did?

Jpjr

Established Member
i don't think a lot of thought was put into it.. everyone knows now the easisest way to unlock power in these cars is a pulley swap. they were probably swapping pulleys so much they decided it was a waste to design and install a meaningless cover.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Ryan02Stang said:
I like it better without the pulley cover. Most 03/04 owners took them off anyways.

The liability reason sounds BS to me. Why would you be more likely to get your hair, etc stuck in a supercharger pulley rather than an alternator pulley??

Yeah, but the SC pulley being the highest one, closest to you and most likely to catch things, was the reason I heard for the cover ... :shrug:

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
No pulley cover on mine and it tore up the hood blanket when a belt went. Still no pulley cover and now no hood blanket. :thumbsup:

VENOM650R said:
They didn't want to have to list the car over 4000 lbs.. :lol:
:lol: :D

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
We probably did the live R&D and Ford realized it was one less part they
had to source and pay for.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I replaced mine with one from the company Ford used to source the originals. Its like the one in the FRPP catalog only this is all chrome.

DSC04267.jpg

DSC04266.jpg

I'm leaving mine as original as possible since I have the 90 GT to play with hard.

Terminator

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
I'm not sure someone with an '03 Cobra should be laughing very hard about heavy cars?! :rollseyes

We don't, as it is too heavy.
My biggest gripe/FEAR with the weight issue is that we're sending the wrong message to Ford. The impression I get is that the weight of the Shelby is okay because of 500hp. :(

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Terminator said:
We don't, as it is too heavy.
My biggest gripe/FEAR with the weight issue is that we're sending the wrong message to Ford. The impression I get is that the weight of the Shelby is okay because of 500hp. :(

I would love nothing more than to have a 3,200# Shelby with 500 hp. :pepper: But there is no way in hell I would pay what Ford would have in the car as far as costs! Perhaps 80k or more? Then add on the dealer markup and let's just not go there! :rollseyes

Building cars is not nearly as easy as some people think. Making cars lighter is not as easy either. One of the reasons you'll never see this Track Dawg in a Z06 on the racetrack. They explode on impact! :eek: Not my idea of a good time! Not that I've ever hit anything yet and I certainly don't plan to, but accidents DO and CAN happen.

Once these cars hit the streets we will have much more personal contact with them and we can start talking about them in a more positive light. Until that day comes it's going to be painful I suspect!??! :dw:

Terminator

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
I would love nothing more than to have a 3,200# Shelby with 500 hp. :pepper: But there is no way in hell I would pay what Ford would have in the car as far as costs! Perhaps 80k or more? Then add on the dealer markup and let's just not go there! :rollseyes

Building cars is not nearly as easy as some people think. Making cars lighter is not as easy either. One of the reasons you'll never see this Track Dawg in a Z06 on the racetrack. They explode on impact! :eek: Not my idea of a good time! Not that I've ever hit anything yet and I certainly don't plan to, but accidents DO and CAN happen.

Once these cars hit the streets we will have much more personal contact with them and we can start talking about them in a more positive light. Until that day comes it's going to be painful I suspect!??! :dw:

:beer:

p.s. :) 3,500# :)

My apologies to the thread starter for jacking his thread.

julio

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
I'm not sure someone with an '03 Cobra should be laughing very hard about heavy cars?! :rollseyes

Well, First off, I thought the statement was very funny. It doesn't matter what I or you think about think about the GT500. You seem to think that I was hating on the GT500, not the case, I simply thought the statement was funny because of the vehicle's weight, yes the 03-04 Cobra are pig, but so is the 2000 R as well... Thanks for you input though...

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
julio said:
Well, First off, I thought the statement was very funny. It doesn't matter what I or you think about think about the GT500. You seem to think that I was hating on the GT500, not the case, I simply thought the statement was funny because of the vehicle's weight, yes the 03-04 Cobra are pig, but so is the 2000 R as well... Thanks for you input though...

All modern era Mustangs and Cobras are heavier than we'd like them to be. I have complained about my 2000 R being heavy on numerous occasions as well. I just don't talk about it in every post. AND I have done a few things to lighten it up to tip the scales below 3,300#. It was no small feat, I can tell you that.

In case you have not noticed, this forum is in the process of a face lift. We no longer tolerate bitching about the "50 reasons we hate the GT500" over and over again like a friggin' skipping CD in every post of every thread. :idea:

It was my personal observation about your comment that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones. If your vehicle was listed as a Lotus Elise, I could see how you would find so much humor in the comment to make yourself "laugh your ass off" when someone else made a remark about heavy cars!! It seemed more like the pot calling the kettle black to me however?!?! :shrug:

Carry on Gentlemen! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread