How does a dyno give results that are not possible?

robert presti

Established Member
A lot of us want dyno numbers, but what do they really mean... The car I have put 600 to the rear wheels, yet I doubt the clutch or the tires could have in in real life. So that is the question "how can you put down more on the dyno than possible in reality.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
How is the dyno not real life? Does the shop have a history of bogus dyno runs?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
they can mess with the correction factor (change elevation, air temp etc...) and that can inflate numbers

MG0h3

Established Member
OP not sure what youre getting at regarding the tires? Others are correct the dyno numbers can be manipulated. My car would probably put down 675rwhp or a little more. Drag radials wont hold in second and sometimes third lets go on certain surfaces. I doubt it would spin on the dyno.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Sounds to me like you are trying to say all dyno numbers are a sham? Like the entire concept of a chassis dyno is flawed?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Visit another dyno (same dyno type, ie. Dynojet, and same correction factor) and see if the numbers are even close.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 on how they could manipulate certain things to inflate the numbers. If you go to a place just to see what it makes, I feel they have nothing to prove. If they are dyno tuning your cars, they could manipulate it. If they installed your parts and then tune it, same could happen. But this isn't every tuner or shop. There are honest people out there.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
It's not just the correction factor....there are "behind the scenes" input factors that can be manipulated all while using the exact same correction factor like SAE. I had the owner of MTI in Houston way back in like 2002 show me this when he was dynoing my c5z. It made like 415 SAE and I was a bit disappointed. He told me those were good numbers on his dyno. And then he said "watch this".....he went into the parameter settings for his dynojet and he manually changed the "wet" and "dry" bulb temps. He spit my dyno run out again, exact SAE correction factor as before....but this time bam dyno peak HP is 450! Lol.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
do u have a b4 pull? thats all u need to see wat sorta gains u made. the actual number don't mean shit. weight/mph doesn't lie take it to the track if ur uncertain

Users who are viewing this thread