How far are you pushing your 3650?

sgtboylan

Frankenstang creator
Established Member
Hey everybody, i'm close to finishing my build and i'm gonna be (hopefully) mid 500s to the wheels. I know its not a great idea to push a 3650 that far, but i rarely power shift or launch crazy hard (unless a GT or some P.O.S. rice rocket needs to get put in its place) My question is this: How high far are you pushing your 3650 as far as hp and torque are concerned? i really don't wanna drop 4K on a 6060. Thanks :shrug:

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
It's like anything else just depends on how you service it and beat on it. I have been running 461 rwhp through mine now for over several years and have not had any issues!

dark-knight

Established Member
mine took a beating with a 100 shot with just a tad over 400whp and holds pretty good.

But we're about to really test mine cause im in the middle of putting on a ported eaton with a 2.76 pulley, hoping for mid 500's and i race afew times aweek..lol

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
I snapped the 10 spline input shaft shifting from 3rd to 4th gear at the drag strip with my Spec stage 3 clutch. Not even on the launch with 2 step at 3800rpm on MT slicks did it have a problem, but holding the torque from the 3rd to 4th is what usually breaks these transmissions, especially with the spec stage 3 clutch. I found out that the clutch is a little to strong for the transmission and that you want the clutch to mess up before the trans does. As stated you can install a 26 spline input shaft, but that doesn't make the internals of the trans any stronger, actually causes a higher potential of failure internally.

As long as you have a decent clutch that will take the beating before your trans will, you'll be okay. Just do regular maintenance on it and don't shift like a fool.

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
As long as you have a decent clutch that will take the beating before your trans will, you'll be okay. Just do regular maintenance on it and don't shift like a fool.

where's the fun in that?! i honda shift my trans, thats why im planning on getting that built promotion one before i get a blower lol

Driver500

Established Member
I twisted the guts up pretty well on a 1.5 launch pushing 400whp.

It made the pass, but made noise and things didn't mesh as well after.

thebestdj07

Established Member
I snapped the 10 spline input shaft shifting from 3rd to 4th gear at the drag strip with my Spec stage 3 clutch. Not even on the launch with 2 step at 3800rpm on MT slicks did it have a problem, but holding the torque from the 3rd to 4th is what usually breaks these transmissions, especially with the spec stage 3 clutch. I found out that the clutch is a little to strong for the transmission and that you want the clutch to mess up before the trans does. As stated you can install a 26 spline input shaft, but that doesn't make the internals of the trans any stronger, actually causes a higher potential of failure internally.

thats good to know. i was always worried about it snapping on launch. i got a stage 3 also. hate it.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
where's the fun in that?! i honda shift my trans, thats why im planning on getting that built promotion one before i get a blower lol
Hahaha nice, I'm hopefully gonna save up for a nicely built t56 one day

thats good to know. i was always worried about it snapping on launch. i got a stage 3 also. hate it.

Yea, my 2-step at 3800 isnt bad, I've launched at 5k rpm before without the 2-step and without the blower and it was okay, came out like a bat out of hell on the slicks spinning

Mach828

Established Member
If you run a stage 2 or less disc clutch the transmission will last if it has fairly low miles.

I've broken 2 3650s. And I only put down 330hp. One was due to high mileage and hard driving. The stock 10 spline input shaft won't last with high rpm dumps on sticky tires.

Stage 3 and twin disc clutches are very hard on the trans, and will significantly reduce its life.

Users who are viewing this thread