How hard are you on your Terminator?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I've had mine at my buddy's house for about the past ten days while I completed my epoxy garage floor (talk about a massive job for a single person dyi lol). Anyways my floor came out great...but man I missed the car.

Just took her out today and absolutely raped on it. Damn that felt good! Lol. 85 degrees here, humid, and I actually had some traction. Slipped her back in the garage, right back on the charger.

'Till the next time....

No pics of the garage floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
No pics of the garage floor?

Yes I have a bunch of the entire process...I just need to load them and host them once I get a chance. I also painted the place and added some led recessed lighting. I'll post them in another thread at some point as to not muddle this one up.

speedoflife

Established Member
Lol no about 3 to 400.
I totally understand where you're coming from. And I totally understand that it's your car and you can do what you want. And I totally understand that motor oil obviously doesn't have a significant cost associated with it to you due to your job. And I understand that changing your oil often guarantees you little carbon buildup in your oil, low particulates, high additives, and consistent viscousity.

However, and that's a big HOWEVER, like all things in life the answer lies not in the black and white but in the grey area in between. While there are advantages to shorting OCI (oil change interval), there are also MAJOR ADVANTAGES to extending it. Not to mention the fact that the environment gives you a giant middle finger for being ignorantly and needlessly wasteful.

Here's science that I recommend you read:
http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/

Feel free to not read it and continue to cause increased wear to your engine, increased waste, and a waste to your time. I love my car just the same as I'm sure you do, but science is simply science. Facts are facts, and there is no need to be stubborn and wasteful. Make a change. Nobody is going to judge you if you admit your wrong and change your ways.

True strength is the strength to be honest.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I totally understand where you're coming from. And I totally understand that it's your car and you can do what you want. And I totally understand that motor oil obviously doesn't have a significant cost associated with it to you due to your job. And I understand that changing your oil often guarantees you little carbon buildup in your oil, low particulates, high additives, and consistent viscousity.

However, and that's a big HOWEVER, like all things in life the answer lies not in the black and white but in the grey area in between. While there are advantages to shorting OCI (oil change interval), there are also MAJOR ADVANTAGES to extending it. Not to mention the fact that the environment gives you a giant middle finger for being ignorantly and needlessly wasteful.

Here's science that I recommend you read:
http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/

Feel free to not read it and continue to cause increased wear to your engine, increased waste, and a waste to your time. I love my car just the same as I'm sure you do, but science is simply science. Facts are facts, and there is no need to be stubborn and wasteful. Make a change. Nobody is going to judge you if you admit your wrong and change your ways.

True strength is the strength to be honest.

I have heard of the disadvantages of changing your oil that early and that was interesting to read. I guess I just got used to changing my oil extremely often when I had my GT500 because It was on E85 full time. I'll probably cut back on how often I change it. But odds are I'm selling the car in May so It probably wont get another oil change again by me as I only drive maybe once a week. But thanks for sharing, it's always good reading new things like that.

speedoflife

Established Member
But thanks for sharing, it's always good reading new things like that.
Respect to you, sir. I appreciate your thoughtful response. That study does NOT account for age of the oil, infrequently driven vehicles, or E85, so those could all affect the intervals relative to your specific needs, too. I didn't even consider how E85 comes into play.

If you have the glorious (jealous!) option of nearly free oil changes, I would still do them frequently. Possibly you could spend a little money on Blackstone oil analyses at 1-2k mile intervals or something like that and determine when to change your oil that way. Oil use decreases detergents and increases particulates/acidity but also promotes the buildup of the complicated films that protect our low-tolerance engines. So basically, run your oil (reasonably) as long as you can, but definitely replace it as soon as particulate/contaminants/otherlevels get unacceptable. I'd be interested to see how long those levels stay acceptable in a standard Terminator engine that is driven hard.
Sorry to derail the thread.......

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm changing my oil once a year. Maybe in the 1000-1500 mile range. I run E85 full time. I have never sent a sample off....but even if I did, I wouldn't go past 12 months regardless of what the lab tech told me about the oil condition. One full year is long enough for me.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Guess I'll be the first one to say I'm hard on the car. My car see's 23 pounds every time it goes out. I race it at the track and do many line lock burnouts then in street form, I cruise the car with other Cobras and we're always making pulls between each other and what not or hit the canyons. And being in SoCal, it never gets put away for winter. I'm always on top of maintenance and use good quality fluids. I have aeroforce gauges to monitor everything and I never bounce the rev limiter. Car only has 37k miles and gets driven hard on a drag radial every time it's out. Car runs like a clock too. Guess a lot has to do with the tune also. OP, I wouldn't be afraid to open up the car and let her rip. Have fun with it, it's what it was designed for.

^^AMEN!^^
I am not a burn out type a guy on the streets but I do like to let her lose, but when its time for maintenance she gets nothing but the best. These cars where designed to be run, and with all the upgraded terminators on here why wouldn't you run it? Isn't that the point of upgrading?

Then again there are a bunch of trailer queens out their, but to each there own!

Piasared

Established Member
113k miles and started racing it. Doing a compression test. Next month then seeing if it's good enough for a new whipple. I haven't seen a reason to park one yet. Just rebuild it and hammer down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread