How Lazy is a Centrifugal Supercharger

cjd223

Established Member
Planning on ordering a blower today. I am wondering just how slow a centrifugal is off the line with a stock converter and 3.15 gears. I keep vacillating between a Procharger Stage II and a TVS - Roush/VMP.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Boost doesnt kick in until 3k and then ramps up. You probably wont 60' any better than a 1.8-9 with the stock converter. On the street it wont matter and will still roast the tires from a stop.(unless you are on a MT pro or other good DR)

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
That question is too general, compared to what? Laggy enough to get you decent traction on the street where you would have lost it with a different setup. A better comparison would be a boost log comparing different setups at different rpm levels I would say.

sharptech

Established Member
I actually hook off from a dead stop until about 20mph then it's smoke city lol. Boost just comes on later but pulls like a freight train 5k+ where the roots ive been in tend to die off.

Mach828

Established Member
They are different setups with different power curves. You can get away with a low stall and high gear with a TVS due to the low end torque. You can't with a centri. You need to put it in the power band off the line to sixty foot well, by either lower gear or more stall or a combo of the two. Its not that its lazy off the line it just needs a different setup to launch in its power band.

vortecd

Established Member
You may want to do some more research before you pull the trigger and think you should have bought the other one

4VFTW

Established Member
with a stock converter and a centri expect 1.7 60'....add a converter and expect 1.4's. gearing wont affect it much.

cjd223

Established Member
Thanks guys for the input. IF I go with a non centrifugal then I have to look at the differences in the Ford/Whipple vs VMP/Roush roots type. The Ford is a twin screw. It makes less on the bottom, but more at higher rpms. Cost wise the centrifugal + converter is about the same as a TVS or roots type. I have studied PDF files on the install for Vortech, Procharger and VMP/Roush. It appears that the Stage II Procharger is by far the easiest to install. I need to put my shooting hobby aside for awhile and focus on my car.
So here is a scenario question. You have two A6 Mustangs 3.15 gear, each with the same 625 whp. One with a centrifugal the other with a TVS. Centri car has a converter other one does not. 40 - 120 mph punch. Assume no traction issues. Which car wins?

RJ13GT

Established Member
My cars 60' didn't change after the Procharger install high 1.9 60s is the best it could do. I had to get a converter.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Thanks guys for the input. IF I go with a non centrifugal then I have to look at the differences in the Ford/Whipple vs VMP/Roush roots type. The Ford is a twin screw. It makes less on the bottom, but more at higher rpms. Cost wise the centrifugal + converter is about the same as a TVS or roots type. I have studied PDF files on the install for Vortech, Procharger and VMP/Roush. It appears that the Stage II Procharger is by far the easiest to install. I need to put my shooting hobby aside for awhile and focus on my car.
So here is a scenario question. You have two A6 Mustangs 3.15 gear, each with the same 625 whp. One with a centrifugal the other with a TVS. Centri car has a converter other one does not. 40 - 120 mph punch. Assume no traction issues. Which car wins?

That's a tough call... If they are both the same weight cars & at a 40 roll should start in their power band, same whp, I' say a TIE...
They Centri's claim to make more HP, but the TVS always make more torque, so it's usually a wash...

I will say get a VMP TVS over the Whipple, and also the power band does not fall off on a Coyote motor. Mine pulls 1500 to 7500rpm. My car 60's mid 1.5's with stock converter, and soon to be mid to low 1.4's on stock converter.

I'd say on an auto your going to spend the same amount of money for either a TVS or Centri after a converter & torque booster. Id go with what ever one looks cool to you or if you have a local shop that caters to one over the other. I love my TVS, but Centries make power too...

BrianH87

Established Member
I'm not sure why people think power falls off with tvs's. Mine seems to keep pulling pretty damn hard up to red line. It may not be as strong as a centri up there, but it doesn't fall on its face as some think.

vortecd

Established Member
I don't feel my TVS falls off either. I have had a few Vortechs on a fox body and I can't say the Vortechs pulled better on the top.

Back in the day, the kenne bells couldn't flow enough to match the centris. I think that mind set is still stuck with some people like changing your oil every 3,000 miles. Today's TVS/whipples are much better and get the bad ass look over the centris. Procharger gets the ugly after thought look award

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
couple of other things to maybe consider.

1. long term reliability/maintenance: you bolt a TVS on and forget about it for 100k, but you have to change Centri oil every 5k and how about reliability on a Centri? how many miles before they need bearings/seals?

2. I have seen a few TVS's injest parts when the motor let go...my motor is stock and knowing I am going to beat it til it breaks that was a factor in my decision.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Same whp centri vs tvs from a roll a tvs wins. I've done that race. Better curve for the tvs. However the centri will make more peak power than a tvs @ the same psi. A paxton and tq booster or converter will still be cheaper than a tvs setup. I'm not sure about the procharger cost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread