How Lazy is a Centrifugal Supercharger

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Actually no. A converter will help the 60', not those gears.

Correct a coverter in the A6 is a much better option than gears. The 1st gear of 4.17 makes it real nice for the stock 3.15s or even the 3.31s in the 15s. Also the tune will make a big difference for when the converter locks an unlocks. The 5.0 an the A6 are a real game changer from the older cars where gears are huge performance gain at the track.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Is it even possible to hold traction from a dig on the street with a tvs and 10psi? Even with a tire and the stock converter and gears. I kinda doubt it.

At least with the paxton on a stock stall you have a chance at not spinning out of the hole. But that is if you care about dig launches on the street. If not then who cares I guess.

Your gonna spin with both the question is how much. spinning aint winning. On hot asphalt i almost dead hook with my 305 mt dr's, And modded suspension. the car really gets out with the 4:10's i will spin more with the torque booster , it will move more torque down low, and if i do i may switch to a 315/35/19 and i know only nitto dr's come in this size for 19's!

Last edited:

cjd223

Established Member
After spending way too much time over thinking this I have decided to go the TVS route. I am keeping my 3.15 gears. My car spent 8 weeks at the dealership getting the rear end fixed so I am not touching it. My '12 is not a daily driver. Will most likely keep the stock exhaust system with the exception of the mufflers. Looking at the GT500 setup. I have some friends with various other exhaust systems that have horrible drone. Can't live with that.
I will be perfectly happy with a car that traps 130+ mph. We have a pretty active Corvette club here. I would love to embarrass some of those guys with a lowly Mustang.
Time to order some 10 x 18 rear wheels and sticky tires. I guess the MT ET Street Radials are good enough.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
after having flowmaster then back to stock i bought gt500 mufflers and love em.no drone and we just drove 525 miles one way to Duck's race.if u want and post a video.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Is it even possible to hold traction from a dig on the street with a tvs and 10psi? Even with a tire and the stock converter and gears. I kinda doubt it.

At least with the paxton on a stock stall you have a chance at not spinning out of the hole. But that is if you care about dig launches on the street. If not then who cares I guess.

Trying to hook a TVS from a dig on the street isn't a problem... It's an opertunity!

Mine Hooks! ;)

2012csgt

Established Member
you dont need a converter to go 10's with a Centri

100% true. Don't even need a converter to go 10s.

Which is just stupid to me lol.. Finish out in 4th like they've been doing for a LONG ASS TIME!! lol. The overall gearing will be much better and ultimately faster ahahaha.

If you have a supercharged auto finishing the 1/4 in 3rd, its not putting out very much power, even with 3.15 gears. Finishing in third is for the fast 3.31 / auto / NA guys.

I'm just saying that you COULD regear the car to trap higher in the RPM (if you had a boss intake) and be faster. There was talk about a auto car not being able to 60ft better unless it had a converter.. You can gear the car to 60ft better with a 3.73/4.10 combo.

I had 3.55 gears, than 3.31s, than 3.73s all while trying NOT to do a converter. Best 60ft was 1.70 when I was running 10.4x - 10.5.

Actually no. A converter will help the 60', not those gears.

Bamn, Correct. I had 3.73s in when I did the converter and pulled mid 1.4s 60 ft times. Switched back to 3.31s and pulled mid 1.4s again. But it felt much better. Since added a little more boost I pulled a 1.37 60ft. 100% stock suspension. Should of done a converter a long time ago. Lund has these tunes down for great drivability.

Correct a coverter in the A6 is a much better option than gears. The 1st gear of 4.17 makes it real nice for the stock 3.15s or even the 3.31s in the 15s. Also the tune will make a big difference for when the converter locks an unlocks. The 5.0 an the A6 are a real game changer from the older cars where gears are huge performance gain at the track.

Agreed.

After spending way too much time over thinking this I have decided to go the TVS route. I am keeping my 3.15 gears. My car spent 8 weeks at the dealership getting the rear end fixed so I am not touching it. My '12 is not a daily driver. Will most likely keep the stock exhaust system with the exception of the mufflers. Looking at the GT500 setup. I have some friends with various other exhaust systems that have horrible drone. Can't live with that.
I will be perfectly happy with a car that traps 130+ mph. We have a pretty active Corvette club here. I would love to embarrass some of those guys with a lowly Mustang.
Time to order some 10 x 18 rear wheels and sticky tires. I guess the MT ET Street Radials are good enough.

I think you'll need more than the stock pulley to trap 130 +. But I think you'll love the TVS, no wrong decision here. And yes, MT ET streets work great. Thats what I use.

Last edited:

cjd223

Established Member
I am thinking an 82mm pulley should get me to 130 mph. 625 whp is about 710 crank hp. My car weighs 3960 with me in it. The old formulas say 132 mph.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Ya'll keep trying to re invent the wheel.

A converter is an easy way to cut your 60ft times in these cars. It would be my go to for a centri car over a set of gears.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
a converter isn't needed but helps in a centri car

a converter isn't needed but helps in a screw car, hell, most guys running blowers much bigger than a tvs and much quicker times are still running converters

first pass ever, in an auto centri car was a 10.8 with no converter. we did it back in 2010, on a test kit, 0 track time, car had 4.10's in it.

in general, I do like a 3.55 with a converter, but just like any previous car, a gear'd centri car works well.

you can't go wrong with any decision. with the price of the Paxton, you could get it and the centri and still be in good shape!!!

can't go wrong with our packages!

scotmach

Established Member
Ya'll keep trying to re invent the wheel.

A converter is an easy way to cut your 60ft times in these cars. It would be my go to for a centri car over a set of gears.

I'm just saying that you COULD regear the car to trap higher in the RPM (if you had a boss intake) and be faster. There was talk about a auto car not being able to 60ft better unless it had a converter.. You can gear the car to 60ft better with a 3.73/4.10 combo.

See above you. The gears you suggested may have worked in the past on auto cars but these cars react much differently.;-)

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
See above you. The gears you suggested may have worked in the past on auto cars but these cars react much differently.;-)

see above post, yes and no.... lol

it isn't that a gear doesn't work. this car has such a tall first gear, the tuning is tricky on it with that much gear,

at the same time, your putting it on a converter, it shifts quick there too

scotmach

Established Member
see above post, yes and no.... lol

it isn't that a gear doesn't work. this car has such a tall first gear, the tuning is tricky on it with that much gear,

at the same time, your putting it on a converter, it shifts quick there too
He's suggesting 4.10's. That's a far cry from the 3.55's you suggested.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I suggested gearing it for the end of the 1/4 mi in 4th gear lol.. So whatever that may be.. Either or.. Beef ran 4.10's and worked well like I stated.. He's now running well in the 8's so I'm sure his combo changed.. At anyrate yes it appears the cars act different to gear changes, or maybe the above people didn't have suspension that could transfer so it didn't 60 better. who knows.. to many variables.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I suggested gearing it for the end of the 1/4 mi in 4th gear lol.. So whatever that may be.. Either or.. Beef ran 4.10's and worked well like I stated.. He's now running well in the 8's so I'm sure his combo changed.. At anyrate yes it appears the cars act different to gear changes, or maybe the above people didn't have suspension that could transfer so it didn't 60 better. who knows.. to many variables.

a short gear will work,

I do prefer the converter / 3.55 though

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
How much power were you making with 4.10's until you decided to do the swap. I figure at some point the gearing will hurt you due to not being able to get traction on a hard launch.

Users who are viewing this thread