How long to you give a company to respond before filing a PayPal claim?

daustin

Established Member
As the title states, how long would a fair amount of time be for a company to respond to an issue I have with one of their products before filing a claim?

I received a defective product from this company. I sent them an email yesterday, with detailed pictures, and got no response back as of yet.

I called them today. I was able to speak with someone, but that person transferred me to someone else and said "they may be at lunch, but they'll get back to you." They are on EST, so it is now near the end of their day.

Do I give them 24 hours? 72 hours? A week?

I know I have 180 days to file a claim with PayPal but I ordered these parts in October and just received them this week, so the clock is ticking. I do have a lot of time left though.

I want to give them a chance to right the situation but I also don't want to get walked on.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blu13gt

Established Member
Normally 72 hours. It's the holiday season though. Depending on the type of company, they might be under staffed and dealing with high volume due to seasonal vacations and all that. This time of year I'll give up to 1 week IF I have that much time to make a claim.

daustin

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I don't really have faith that they will respond via email. When I ordered the parts, they said it would take four weeks to ship as they had to be painted. I got them in week seven. I sent two status check emails after the fourth week and didn't get a response via email until after I called and was able to speak to someone. Only then did I get an email two business days later; not a call back like I was told.

I definitely want to be fair on my end though.

oldmodman

Established Member
Here is what I have done (and am doing with a purchase right now)
First, my Paypal account is backed with ONLY a credit card.
I notify my bank that I need a charge reversed. Then I notify the seller of the problem and tell them that the charge has been reversed. I let them know that they can e-mailme a return tag for the merchandise and I will repack it and hand the box to the UPS driver.
Paypal does not like being superseded in the return department, but there is nothing they can do.
This has proven to be the very best way to keep YOU in control of YOUR money when it comes to Paypal.
I have found that once a company has your money they can be very slow to fix whatever problem you may have. They might even try to drag out the matter to where your return time has expired.

Zemedici

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I don't really have faith that they will respond via email. When I ordered the parts, they said it would take four weeks to ship as they had to be painted. I got them in week seven. I sent two status check emails after the fourth week and didn't get a response via email until after I called and was able to speak to someone. Only then did I get an email two business days later; not a call back like I was told.

I definitely want to be fair on my end though.

was this a bigger vendor / company?

Given the track record, I would solely call from now on.

daustin

Established Member
Here is what I have done (and am doing with a purchase right now)
First, my Paypal account is backed with ONLY a credit card.
I notify my bank that I need a charge reversed. Then I notify the seller of the problem and tell them that the charge has been reversed. I let them know that they can e-mailme a return tag for the merchandise and I will repack it and hand the box to the UPS driver.
Paypal does not like being superseded in the return department, but there is nothing they can do.
This has proven to be the very best way to keep YOU in control of YOUR money when it comes to Paypal.
I have found that once a company has your money they can be very slow to fix whatever problem you may have. They might even try to drag out the matter to where your return time has expired.

Unfortunately I used funds in my PayPal account. That's my wife-proof car part fund. Haha.

I'm only talking like $220 or so that I'd be out as everything else they sent was fine. I still don't want to have to eat the $220 though.

I'm remaining optimistic that they will make it right. They have both good and bad reviews, but I felt the good outweighed the bad-and they do good work. My issue is with a defective stock piece they sourced and painted. The paint looks good. The part itself is bad and I'm surprised they didn't catch it.

I'm traveling to Ohio tonight and I'll be about seven miles from them. Maybe I'll take a ride over there on Monday if I don't hear back.

Last edited:

daustin

Established Member
was this a bigger vendor / company?

Given the track record, I would solely call from now on.

I wouldn't say they're big. Seems like a family run operation. I don't want to put the company name out there yet but it wouldn't be hard to figure out if you look at my recent posts.

On a completely unrelated note, my new BMR suspension parts are awesome and they have some of the best customer service around. I would recommend them to anyone.

I will be calling from now on but I still like the occasional email so I have empirical proof that I tried to resolve things with them in the event I do have to file a claim.

Users who are viewing this thread