How many have got away from you?

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
In high school we would run from them down the back roads near our houses. I remember i got pulled on the way to school one morning when i was running late. I only had one class that semester and rolled out of bed and went to school forgetting to grab my wallet since i was in such a rush. Cop pulled me for 61/45, expired inspection, and failure to possess a license or something like that since i didnt have it on me. as I was leaving school that day i was going down a 4 lane with a 55mph limit and was going a little over 60 and saw an officer coming in the other lane which was seperated by a median. He hit the light before I even got to him and I nailed it and cut down a back road and layed on it all the way home. when I got home he was on the phone with my dad saying that I had got away from him several times already and that he would be looking for me. It was the same cop that had pulled me that morning. He said he would remember the car because of the confederate flag plate on the front bumper. Since then I guess i did some growing up and don't see the fun in running and risking the life of an officer who is just doing his job or risking the life of innocent people. A few days after I bought my first 03 I was having some fun with it and passed a trooper in a tahoe in the oncoming lane at 105/55 and immediately pulled over and waited for him to catch up. By the time he got turned around I easily had half a mile between us and could have got away very easily, but I know I was in the wrong and there was no sense in putting him in any more danger. Running from the cops may make you feel like a bad ass but at the end of the day it makes you no better then any other criminal on the streets and you're doing nothing but making their job more dangerous for nothing but a quick thrill.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Countless on foot. Most of the fat, doughnut eating, overweight guys never really had a chance. Use to be funny too because the older ones wouldn't even get out the cars lol. We would wait for them to get out the cars then laugh while we ran from them. Had one of the guys that ran from them circle back and take off in the cops car. When he caught up to us, we were walking laughing, he seen his car go by with the antennas in the wind. The look on his face was priceless. After that they started patrolling on bicycles so we had to learn the art of fence jumping.

Only once in a 94 GT and cop was on a motorcycle. Think it was a kawasaki 450. Scarriest day of my life. After a few red lights and a couple of stop signs I think he gave up. Looking back on it, had to be the dumbest thing I ever did. Dad found out and took my car for 6 months. No license or anything. Bus city for me. Learned a valuable lesson that day. Knowing what I knew now I wouldn't even think about it.

Quite a few on motorcycles back in the day. Seen a guy wreck and get banged up pretty bad. Wheel chair for life. After that I started using my head and gave up the stupidity. Now its at a track unless were out in Mexico and we double and triple check things. Not the best but will never take off when the lights come on.

Seen a chase when I was in Texas and just laughed. I really don't think anyone can get away if they want you bad enough. Wouldn't take anything but time depending on your city. I knoaw we have so many cameras it would just take reviewing them all locating you from point A to B. Besides, I drive all eye catching vehicles so it's senseless. Race red Shelby with white stripes that you see a mile away. Jet stream blue Z with chrome wheels that you couldnt hide in a mall parking lot lol. Truck has more lights than a Semi and TL wouldnt get away if life depended on it. Besides it's great talking to them when you haven't done anything wrong and all your paperwork is straight lol

BirdofPrey97

Established Member
It's the radio that I haven't seen out ran.

Had a trooper come after us. We were going east and he was going west. I was doing about 60mph in a 65 zone. Why did he chase us? Who is "us"? That would be my dad in his 77 LTD that had hit a deer and we couldnt start it, because the radiator had been pushed back into the fan.
I had my 76 Ramcharger with a 440 and was just bumper pushing him home. When he saw the cop and after it went by he just waved his arm out the window and all 4 barrels were used to go the 2 miles home. He took the turn onto gravel really well for not having any brake assist, power steering or ability to drive with the throttle.
After making the corner from hwy to gravel I got back behind him and pushed him the 1/2 home and up the 1/4 driveway and I gave him a shove to get up the hill and parked my bright orange Power Wagon on the opposite side of Barn from the hwy. The trooper hit the intersection and stopped and turned right and went up another hwy. If he would of just looked left he would of seen us a 1/2 mile over sitting on the car and chuckling.

It was they only time I have ran, but I was told too. Dad scared me way more than any judge could.

sc98cbra

Established Member
Ran once in my convertible Cobra.
I was booking it on the interstate at night, passed a trooper sitting on the side of the road in a charger, I threw it down into third gear and took off, got off two exits later and turned my lights off, I seen him fly by, so I just took back roads home.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
One of the super awesome motorcycle riders ran from me today.

I got his plate before he even knew I was there, had the information back before I even tried to stop him. He was local. Hit my lights and he was gone. I didn't even chase him, just kinda slowed traffic so he wouldn't kill himself in the process.

10 minutes later I was at his house, so was he. Turns out he has Felony warrants out of state. Guess whose day ended poorly? :lol1:

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Never really ran, but I have ducked and covered. Driving a MG in my younger days, it was not fast enough to run. It was more strategy over speed.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
One of the super awesome motorcycle riders ran from me today.

I got his plate before he even knew I was there, had the information back before I even tried to stop him. He was local. Hit my lights and he was gone. I didn't even chase him, just kinda slowed traffic so he wouldn't kill himself in the process.

10 minutes later I was at his house, so was he. Turns out he has Felony warrants out of state. Guess whose day ended poorly? :lol1:

I can really respect that one. Noone harmed and still got his individual. The young guns around my area seem like they live for the chase, always talking about how fast their cars are and the training they receive. When someone gets away all they have is a sketchy vehicle description and dumb questions. We always ask why didn't you get the tag number before you threw the lights on.

There use to be an officer Dobbs ( nicknamey Dicky) that changed the whole running scene. Caught over 30 bikers that were suspects in previous pursuit cases. Drove a undercover blue, red, gray, and sometimes black crown Vic. His tactics were simple but effective. When they lights came on it was to late.

I was wheeling down one of the main streets and went right by him. He never turned on his lights. Got caught in traffic and he pulled up beside me and said " I have your tags, description, and address so no need to take off when I put these lights on. Gave me a reckless driving ticket and took my picture. Said he kept a photo book in case someone ran he needed a reference to give him an idea and help his buddies out.

OrgasmicSVT

Established Member
I've ran twice and got away once.

The first time was a day or two after I bought the Lightning and I was giving my college roommate a ride. We were probably going 80 in a 40 and passed a female officer coming the other direction. I saw her hit the lights and make a u-turn, but I was already hammer down and headed to the interstate.

The second time I ran from the cops I was having a really bad day as I had just discovered that I had accidentally missed one of my final exams. I remember thinking to myself that going WOT would make me feel a little better and just as I was hitting 70 I saw two police cars sitting in an Autozome parking lot. I never lifted and I saw blue lights a ways back in my rear view mirror.

The first red light turned green by the grace of god and I had to slow down to make sure the second was clear. My plan was to hop on the interstate, but there were already 3-4 cars waiting to turn left so I just went straight and hit around 140 mph before taking a side street that lead me to a semi major street.

At that point I slowed down and started to drive normal thinking there was no way they were anywhere near me. Well I rolled up to a light and saw an officer sitting in the Exxon parking lot. I remember thinking "be cool he doesn't know" about that time he pulled behind me. Then the next thing I know I was surrounded my officers.

One of the guys walked up and told me I had a nice truck, but I needed to slow it the **** down. He asked me what was going on and told him about missing my final. He came back to the truck with a ticket for running the red light and sent me on my way.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I drive a Charger cruiser and it will absolutely kill a Crown Vic. It's not a Viper but it does well for a 4door cop car with a crapload of stuff in it.

It's a low/mid 14 second car fully equipped if you're wondering.

lol, up here in denver they are a mid 16 car, low 16 if the driver knows how to get it off the line.

I gave up "doing the right thing" one Sunday morning. It was raining and I was in my 02 lightning. I had just dropped off my GF at work(walmart). As I was driving out of the exit the rain was coming down HARD. The light in my lane was green and I was making a Left hand turn. When I went into the intersection I hit the Vpan crossing my lane. With the huge amount of water in the road, and the down/upward motion of the truck, and the fact that I had no weight in the rear of the truck, my back end broke loose. There was a mini van to my laft in the inside turn lane so I did not want to overcorrect and risk hitting them. SO instead of quickly correcting and risking a collision I let the truck cary the slide around the corner(I drifted in my lightning all the time). All in all the truck mad have slid for 30 feet, it wasnt a full on 90* drift or anything. I wound up in my lane, around the corner, no harm no foul, and on down the road I went.

About 2 blocks down the road I noticed a cop car behind me trying to get through traffic with his lights on. Apperently he had seen everything and was sitting at the red light about 4 cars back. I had all the time in the world to take off and he would not have been able to catch me. Instead I thought I would simply pull over(in a parking lot), let him catch up and explain what happened. I thought "for sure he'll understand and let me off with a warning". Since it was 100% an accident, I didnt go ripping out of the lot at 5000rpm like a mad man.

I pulled into a parking lot so he didnt have to sit on the side of a busy road and waited for him to show up. When he finally pulled in behind me I already had my truck off and all my info out and ready for him. I even had my window completely down so he could see me(I know what you guys deal with and respect it). SO there I am, driver door soaking wet, my shoulder soaking wet, keys on the dash, all info out, and pulled into a parking lot, all out of respect for the officer and the job you guys do.

The officer comes up and Im expecting the usual "do you know why I pulled you over" routine. No, I didnt get that. I got a pissed of high 20's low 30's Dbag SCREAMING at me, threatening to take me to jail for reckless endangerment or some shit. I cant make this up, this guy went off the deep end. Cussing, spitting, the whole 9 yards. I was so taken back by it I just say there dumbfounded. After about a full minute he finally shut up and let me talk. I told him it was an accident and that I saw him working through traffic and pulled over to be nice. Then he goes into a rant about how no vehical can spin the tires like my truck did unless I ment to. I told him there was a cool thing called hydroplaining and that my truck had no weight in the rear, that It didnt even have a hitch at the time. After about 30-40 minutes of him sitting in his car he came back and wrote me for wreckless driving and said "you better pray I dont see you driving around again":shrug:, I later had it dropped to careless but still.

After that I told myslef that unless I thought they could read my plates or there were innocents close by, I was running. Not a smart thing to do but the town I grew up in was full of crooked/Dbag/power trip cops. Proof of that was the 21pt ticket I got for REVVING at my friend at a light. Yes revving, not racing, not doing a burnout, revving. I got pulled and was rewarded with an 8pt reckless driving and 12pt excebition of speed. God I hate my old home town.

WOT 88

Established Member
I know op didn't want a friend of a friend story, but I can't resist.... Slightly off from the requested topic, yet somewhat appropriate.

Good friend of mine is a detective at the local pd and I was over his house one night shooting the crap. Few other Leos came over and I was talking to one of the K9 guys. He told me about a robbery a few weeks before, where two jackbags tried to knock off a gas station. He said the suspects took their sweet ass time in the store and were actually just pulling out as the cops rolled in. The guys took off and ran for about a minute before crashing and splitting into some woods. The k9 guy got out and chased the guys into the woods, apparently loosing them. In the meantime, I guess other units tried to box the area in, since the woods only stretched between a few residential blocks. Guys on the other side started lightning up the radio saying that one guy is running along the treeline with the road. K9 guy gets his dog back in the car and goes to drive the few blocks over. Guy said he turns down the street and was on the gas pretty hard to get to the other officers quick. All of the sudden, he sees a figure bolt out of the woods, hears a thud, briefly sees the guy cartwheel over his hood, followed by a additional thud on the roof, and finished with the sight of a tumbling body in his rear view. It was his suspect. The moron ran right out in front of his cruiser and got banged up pretty bad.

They found the second guy minutes later with the heli. The guy telling me the story was a pretty lighthearted guy and did a much better job telling the story in a humorous manner. Never the less, still pretty funny. Who knows, maybe it will end up on America's dumbest criminals one day.

Last edited:

blckRadda

Established Member
I'm in the early twenty's and I hate reading things sometimes from older members puts common sense in my head..

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm in the early twenty's and I hate reading things sometimes from older members puts common sense in my head..

I'm 20 myself, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wanna run when I got popped for 120 in a 55. I honestly might have tried if it wasn't literally the middle of the day and on a two lane back road, but because I didn't and I stopped immediately all went well and there's no reflection of my ticket except that the insurance agencies can see it (still no hike in prices, points on my license, etc., etc.).

But sometimes running just seems like the better solution. But man oh man is it getting harder and harder.

Alejandro5.0

Established Member
Around where I live it's pretty easy to loose a cop if you have a fast car, I've done it like 5 times, once in my bike I was cruisin at 120 saw a sheriff throw on his lights I threw the deuces at him and started dropping gears, he was nowhere to be found haha! One of the sheriffs around here is pretty cool he has a charger and we raced In my cobalt ss and I smoked him. Yea cop cars are slow :)

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member

Just curious... but if he was in your system with felony out of state warrants why the heck were you on traffic duty and not over at his house to begin with picking him up? Why must you harass the innocent in hopes of finding the guilty when you already know where the guilty live?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Just curious... but if he was in your system with felony out of state warrants why the heck were you on traffic duty and not over at his house to begin with picking him up? Why must you harass the innocent in hopes of finding the guilty when you already know where the guilty live?

Because he didn't have the guys info until he saw the guy breaking the law to begin with, and ran his tag before he tried to stop him. This takes away the "harassing the innocent" that you refer to. Come on man, I thought you were better than making this kind of statement.

wesessiah

Established Member

Because he didn't have the guys info until he saw the guy breaking the law to begin with, and ran his tag before he tried to stop him. This takes away the "harassing the innocent" that you refer to. Come on man, I thought you were better than making this kind of statement.

yeah, he's not going to know the guy has warrants issued until he gets his info to run it. there are a lot of people with warrants, we don't just have a list of every possible person local or out of state we could come in contact with just sitting in our car. nobody would ever get anything done if that was the case. we could have someone move into town with warrants from all over the place, but probably won't know till i have reason to check him out.

Last edited:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
^^ So you are trying to tell me that in 2012 LEO's do not have the ability to run a query on known warrants and known addresses and get a list of names and go pick them up?

That's CRAAAAAAZZZZYYY!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
^^ So you are trying to tell me that in 2012 LEO's do not have the ability to run a query on known warrants and known addresses and get a list of names and go pick them up?

That's CRAAAAAAZZZZYYY!

You have to understand that warrants are entered into individual dept databases, state databases, national databases, and the international databases. Yes, LEO's do have that ability, but most agencies have specialized units that do those things simply because it is not cost effective to EVERY police officer onto this task. But, you cannot simply type in name and get it to work that way. Think of how many people in this country that share the same name as you. Would be kind of silly for me to run somebody with your name and show up at your door to arrest you, wouldnt it?

Users who are viewing this thread