How many miles were on your car when you picked it up?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
No offense guys, but why are we concerned about 50 miles? Is the car hurt? Is something out of wack?

Big deal, 50 miles is nothing. When you start buying cars second hand that are garage kept and in like new condition to avoid paying sticker shock, you get over it.

My 2009 was garage kept for 18 months, had 740 miles on it when I bought it. What did I gain by shopping around buying used? I saved $10,000 off of the sticker price. I refuse to pay depreciation ever again.

cdythms

Established Member
I don't work at a ford dealer, but we have Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep. I unfortunately work on the last three, but when a new vehicle comes in we do like the guy said a PDI, which I normally do 6-10 miles on top of the 1-5 miles that they arrive on the truck with. It's really just to assure that before delivery nothing has happened and sometimes you find things that need to be addressed. But yes people at dealers do like to test drive, anybody with the manager title thinks they can drive anything the way they want. If I was buying one I would tell them don't touch it, no pdi, dont remove any shipping papers, and dont ****ing wash it. touch it and I wont buy it!

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
No offense guys, but why are we concerned about 50 miles? Is the car hurt? Is something out of wack?

Big deal, 50 miles is nothing. When you start buying cars second hand that are garage kept and in like new condition to avoid paying sticker shock, you get over it.

My 2009 was garage kept for 18 months, had 740 miles on it when I bought it. What did I gain by shopping around buying used? I saved $10,000 off of the sticker price. I refuse to pay depreciation ever again.

Thats cool. I enjoy saving money too, but if you want the new hotness you gotta pay.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
pretty simple....was the car dogged for the first 50 miles of it's existence? Did they put 87 in it when they did the "test drive". Why am i given an odometer statement that has 3 miles on it when it had 49?? My car feels like it has a very slight miss.....should i be concerned....got damn right i am!

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
and this car isn't like i'm picking a 5.0 off the lot. They don't have another all white with my options coming in ANY time soon. You're stuck with it unless you say EFF it I will just wait another 6 months.

Agent-GHQ

Established Member

The point is if you're gonna drop that kind of mulah, it better to a minimal like less than 5 miles which is my standard! Personally, I do NOT like the idea that the dealers gets their dick wet first on my pony (no homo yo)

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
The point is if you're gonna drop that kind of mulah, it better to a minimal like less than 5 miles which is my standard! Personally, I do NOT like the idea that the dealers gets their dick wet first on my pony (no homo yo)

9/10 you won't get a car under 5 miles, even from the factory.

Only way to prevent any additional is to be there when your car is being taken off the truck

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
pretty simple....was the car dogged for the first 50 miles of it's existence? Did they put 87 in it when they did the "test drive". Why am i given an odometer statement that has 3 miles on it when it had 49?? My car feels like it has a very slight miss.....should i be concerned....got damn right i am!

I think you are a bit too concerned. The 2011+ cars have factory knock and wideband sensors. If some idiot randomly put 87 octane it, the first sign of detonation, knock retard would kick in.

Besides, you also have to remember that the stock tune on these cars are very conservative. So conservative, you can go WOT with only 91 octane.

In a month, you would have forgotten the 46 mile discrepancy. It's just like the first scratch, after a month....you're over it.

Last edited:

BlownAway03

Established Member
Some of you guys are way too upright about this. PDI's are part of the process. If any car leaves the dealer with less than 8 miles they didn't do their job and are technically lying to Ford saying they checked everything on the sheet. Everybody isn't out to beat the hell out of your car. I drove a few cars In a spirited fashion when I was a Ford tech but never just beat the hell out of 'em. I've seen cars come off the truck and have rod knock. Let the guys do their freakin job. I'm sure some of you have bought used cars and new cars off the lot before....right? Were you that concerned about how they were treated prior to your ownership then? I say as long as you pick it up and there's no sign of abuse, screw what happened prior to your arrival. My dealer sold a lot of Shelbys. You'd be surprised at how many techs actually could care less about driving one. Ford should start revoking warranties of cars of owners who opt out of PDI's. A good dealer will just ignore your request and let the techs complete the PDI anyway because that's the right thing to do. We always did the PDI, Even on the Ford GT. If the customers didn't like it, it surely never broke the deal.

Last edited:

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
I bought my 1996 and 2003 Cobra from Lamarque Ford both brand new. The Salesman was Jerry Perry at the time.

I told them not to wash or clean the 2003 Cobra and I was there when the truck arrived to drop off the car. While in the office Jerry went get both sets of Keys for the car bc the service guys were trying to go for a ride. Very congested area to buy car from as well.

Call SVT with problems, they helped me solve my problems I had with both cars.

Good Luck!!:beer:

Last edited:

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Some of you guys are way too upright about this. PDI's are part of the process. If any car leaves the dealer with less than 8 miles they didn't do their job and are technically lying to Ford saying they checked everything on the sheet. Everybody isn't out to beat the hell out of your car. I drove a few cars In a spirited fashion when I was a Ford tech but never just beat the hell out of 'em. I've seen cars come off the truck and have rod knock. Let the guys do their freakin job. I'm sure some of you have bought used cars and new cars off the lot before....right? Were you that concerned about how they were treated prior to your ownership then? I say as long as you pick it up and there's no sign of abuse, screw what happened prior to your arrival. My dealer sold a lot of Shelbys. You'd be surprised at how many techs actually could care less about driving one. Ford should start revoking warranties of cars of owners who opt out of PDI's. A good dealer will just ignore your request and let the techs complete the PDI anyway because that's the right thing to do. We always did the PDI, Even on the Ford GT. If the customers didn't like it, it surely never broke the deal.
This. Our dealer makes us do them all. It don't matter if ford produces a moped. All a PDI is is going through a check sheet, taking plastic out of car's, taking car's out of transport mode, and so on. You're supposed to take them on a test drive also, but when your Boss is outta gas, well that part is evaluated in the few hundred feet you get to drive it. lol

Kevin P

Established Member
My 2010 had a feature that did not allow maximum boost, and some really low rev limit (like 3500?) until something around 13 miles. It was documented in owner's manual. I ran into the rev limiter leaving the parking lot... By the time I made it to work, the car had 30 miles on it and was "normal." I would think the 2013s have some sort of similar feature.

In short, the dealer can't jump in and abuse a car with 5 miles on it. They would have to drive it quite a while.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I had them run their checklist, and obviously do any mechanical inspections.

But they didn't touch any plastics or detail anything.

I have no complaints.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
Most dealers will work with you on delivery of your car. My last two cars did not get any PDI, I took them with the seat covers, guard film, etc. My SRT8 had 1 mile on the odometer.

BlownAway03

Established Member
My 2010 had a feature that did not allow maximum boost, and some really low rev limit (like 3500?) until something around 13 miles. It was documented in owner's manual. I ran into the rev limiter leaving the parking lot... By the time I made it to work, the car had 30 miles on it and was "normal." I would think the 2013s have some sort of similar feature.

In short, the dealer can't jump in and abuse a car with 5 miles on it. They would have to drive it quite a while.

You just had to drive them for 5 consecutive miles or start the car 50 times. So if a vehicle arrived with 2 miles it had boost at 7 miles, if driven without shutting the car off. We always put the miles on the GT500's until the he boost kicked in. We had an 8 mile test route that we took to make sure the cars boosted and had no issues. I know some cities may have too much traffic to make these drives practical, but otherwise it should be done.

BlownAway03

Established Member
This. Our dealer makes us do them all. It don't matter if ford produces a moped. All a PDI is is going through a check sheet, taking plastic out of car's, taking car's out of transport mode, and so on. You're supposed to take them on a test drive also, but when your Boss is outta gas, well that part is evaluated in the few hundred feet you get to drive it. lol

Even when the cars were low on gas we had to complete our PDI. Our boss would just give us the gas card. All these comments remind me of a funny thing that happened there one time. In comes a bone stock 01 Cobra for tires. I mount new tires and test drive car for like 4 miles and I'm done. Guy comes back later after his GIRLFRIEND picked it up without him and says there are an ass of miles on his odometer and accuses me of joyriding (he should've been questioning his hoe). My boss tells him, "why would he joyride in your car when he drives a modded 03 Cobra?" What a dumbass. Moral of the story: don't be an ass. Let the job be done. If you see rubber on your bumper or in the rear fenderwells raise hell. If not, be happy you just received a badass ride.

Users who are viewing this thread